News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 617     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1K     2 

Ethnic diversity of Toronto vs. elected representatives

I don't think the situation is too bad. There are 7 Toronto MPs that were born outside of Canada. Not representative of the population, but it could be worse. And the number of minorities running for office seems to be increasing. If you go to a suburb such as Markham or Mississauga during election time, the majority of the candidates seem to be from minority groups.

I have a solution.

Take 1 out of every 100000 new immigrants that come off the boat and put them directly in an MPP or MP role. What a stupid issue.

Heres an idea. Why don't those groups that feel under represented do like the chinese. Organize themselves. Oh wait, too much work. Its better to complain and do nothing, and hope everything is given to them, like the free health care. And I am pointing at immigrants because its not the first time hearing about this such issue. Its not a 2nd generation issue so much because of the integration of being born and raised in CDN society.

If immigrant groups like 'XXXXXXX' feel that they are left out and Canada is only using them to open restaurants, then do it yourself, there are enough concentrations out their for them to do it. Its a free society, and you have the numbers, its your own fault for being 'left out' if your not doing anything to organize.

Couldn't agree more

The excuse that Canadian politics is dominated by an "old boys" clique mentality and is excusively the domain of old white rich guys just doesn't fly anymore. If people deem this to be the reality then they should try and change it instead of complaining about it and damning the system.

I think the nature of our society- the social welfare institutions and programs-actually discourages immigrants from becoming active on a level outside of their own particular ethnic community...the same goes for voting...There are certain expectations that things will be taken care of, but this is dangerous, you cant blindly expect this kind of system to work for you if you are not willing to get involved

But immigrants by and large are not complaining. Most don't care who their representatives are, nor have little interest in joining their ranks. Ask the average immigrant and he'll say he hopes his children will become doctors, bankers, scientists, engineers, dentists, and a whole host of professions. None are saying theu hope their kid will become a politician, since where come from a politician is usually a corrupt snake.

I would have to disagree, I think there is an underbelly of those, maybe not the majority (as even the majority of CDNs probably don't care about politics) of immigrants feel 'misrepresented'. Every so often you do see some media regarding this.

I'd be willing to bet that

In contrast, how many non whites are city councilors? And how many non whites represent Toronto as MPPs and MPs? I think it's shameful that our government, which is always talking about equal opportunity, fails to reflect the ethnic make up of our city.

It isn't just elected officials. If you check out senior bureaucrats...

It isn't just elected officials. If you check out senior bureaucrats...

I would hate to live in a country where they would force such composition of the elected gov't and civil servants to reflect a country which relies on immigration. I dunno, seems both irresponsible and communist.

I would hate to live in a country where they would force such composition of the elected gov't and civil servants to reflect a country which relies on immigration. I dunno, seems both irresponsible and communist.

Hey there roch,

Agree with you completely. It all goes back to the excellent observation that you made earlier:

Regarding immigrants you wrote:

"Most don't care who their representatives are, nor have little interest in joining their ranks. Ask the average immigrant and he'll say he hopes his children will become doctors, bankers, scientists, engineers, dentists, and a whole host of professions. None are saying theu hope their kid will become a politician, since where come from a politician is usually a corrupt snake."

Plus, me just putting myself in their place, I'd rather blame all existing political corruption and incompetence (because there's plenty) on the white hacks and hackettes.

And of course have my kids become bankers, developers --whole host of professions to pull the strings of the hacks and hackettes...

Great strategy, actually.

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

Outer Toronto is mixed, while inner city Toronto is very white.

I would hate to live in a country where they would force such composition of the elected gov't and civil servants to reflect a country which relies on immigration.

Lebanon appears to be the only country where such a system is in place. In Lebanon, the President has to be a Maronite Catholic Christian, the Prime Minister a Sunni Muslim, the Deputy Prime Minister an Orthodox Christian, and the Speaker of the Parliament a Shi’a Muslim. The parliament is also divided between Christians and Muslims. (Wikipedia)

... and net immigration to Lebanon is .....

Its a different situation.

Lebanon appears to be the only country where such a system is in place. In Lebanon, the President has to be a Maronite Catholic Christian, the Prime Minister a Sunni Muslim, the Deputy Prime Minister an Orthodox Christian, and the Speaker of the Parliament a Shi’a Muslim. The parliament is also divided between Christians and Muslims. (Wikipedia)

And look at what a great job they've done governing themselves.

its a growing trend in major cities it appears.

our new motto....

"welcome to Toronto, the chocolate city with a marshmallow center and a graham cracker crust of corruption. It's a Mallomar, I guess, is what I'm describing, is a Mallomar. It’s a seasonal cookie"

-modified stephen colbert quote.

Back