News   Apr 16, 2024
 284     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 718     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 485     3 

Enwave Deep Lake Water Cooling

The building chiller is undersized (either mechanically or via software by board request) to keep costs lower. It has nothing to do with the cold water supply from the lake being insufficient.

It's not an uncommon issue with condos with maintenance fees under the 75 cent/sqft/month cost range.

There was no chiller because of the lakewater cooling.

As for the temperatures in the condos.. I saw the temperatures as noted on our BAS. It came in around 12 degrees but by the time the water disseminated through the building it was not as cold.

On another note - I am guessing Enwave must be the largest natural source cooling system in the world by now, if not before this expansion.

That depends on whether you are measuring by cooling capacity or number of buildings serviced. For overall natural cooling capacity, I think Bruce Nuclear likely has the largest system in Ontario.

EnWave in Toronto has one of the longest (by pipe laid) single-owner non-government cooling district networks in general. Tokyo has a few with higher power ratings (MM21 district is 300MW vs Toronto's 55MW) but I think it's still less pipe; Tokyo is upgrading to 5000 USRt absorption chillers (something like 60 million BTU).

Last edited:
Anyone have a map of the current Enwave network and where they hope to expand it to (in addition to East Bayfront))

There are some lower quality publicity infographic around (just search "Enwave cooling map") - they don't seem to be exhaustively accurate.

AoD

Attachments

• 1600694390590.png
    1600694390590.png
    745.3 KB · Views: 363
Anyone have a map of the current Enwave network and where they hope to expand it to (in addition to East Bayfront))

This is about as good as it gets. They don't really have a published service area.

This is about as good as it gets. They don't really have a published service area.

Thanks, they used to have a map on their website but .... Seems like something they really ought to have easily available, and be proud of. I just emailed them so if I get a map I will post it or link to it.

Thanks, they used to have a map on their website ...

That type of information stopped being updated when the city sold their share.

In 2017 they bought district energy systems in Los Angeles, Portland, Las Vegas, London Ontario, and Charlottetown; good luck finding recent maps for any of them either. Not even a basic coverage map.

Last edited:
Enwave have been doing a huge excavation on Queens Quay for ages and the City website says it will go on for another 9 months.

qqe.jpg

I am all in favour of Enwave but does anyone know if this is for cooling only or cooling & heating and which buildings have signed up for it. (I assume existing possible customers like Corus, George Brown and Monde already have new boilers and chillers so are unlikely to move to Enwave, at least until they need to be replaced.)

Don't quote me on this, but I vaguely remember hearing from staff at a public meeting that Corus Quay would be connecting to the main Enwave network. Fun fact, the building already has a district energy plant on the roof, also run by Enwave and "expected to serve nine buildings in the East Bay waterfront district by the end of 2018" (no idea whether that was ever realized): https://daikinapplied-us-stage.azurewebsites.net/Daikin_CS_1107_Corus_Quay_-_LR.php

The LCBO Tower will definitely be connected to Enwave. As far as I know, that's the only building in the area that has been publicly confirmed to be connecting.

Back