News   Jul 15, 2024
 405     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 560     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 565     0 

Emirates A380 @ CYYZ on June 1st, 3:45pm

thanks for the link.

The Star says 9:45......of course a plane this size is likely also taking off at 9:50....and 9:55....and so on and so on ;)

thanks for the info.

but i ended up missing it again. :(

Prometheus,

Below is a relatively crude mockup of main flightpaths into YYZ.
Most likely the A380 will arrive on Runway 24R today.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3371/3584811479_97eb1c2f80_o.jpg

thanks for the map.

i heard there will be 3 flights a week to pearson. hopefully i can catch one of those. will it arrive/depart at the same times mentioned above & take the same route? what days will it be coming and going?

yes, same times each day....it is operating Mon-Wed-Fri for the summer schedule, i.e. till the end of October...

btw, it did land on runway 6L....quite the sight...

090601_Emirates_A380_0021.jpg

via Torontoist

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/a380_superjumbo.php?gallery0Pic=5#gallery

Last edited:
wingspan and length from front to back, it's not that much bigger than a 747 is it?

I work at North York City Centre and during my late lunch I caught a glimpse of it flying over the condos north of Empress. Not until I caught the fin did I realize it was the Emirates flight I had heard so much about. Needless to say, it was big. I understand cars slowed down on the 401 just to marvel at the mighty beast.

I work at North York City Centre and during my late lunch I caught a glimpse of it flying over the condos north of Empress. Not until I caught the fin did I realize it was the Emirates flight I had heard so much about. Needless to say, it was big. I understand cars slowed down on the 401 just to marvel at the mighty beast.

I will admit to tapping the breaks a bit last night around 7 pm......sorry to those that clearly felt it inappropriate!!!

There was a larger than usual amount of gawkers parked on that service road between the Airport and the 401....all having a look.

It did look bigger than the other planes (that from the department of the obvious) but not way out of touch with them. Lined up on the south side of Pearson they sorta looked like a grade 6 class photo where one kid had just had an earlier growth spurt than the others....he still looked like he belonged in the picture....but just!!

Flights of fancy! http://www.thestar.com/Travel/article/641321

The Airbus A380 superjumbo is coming to Toronto, bringing with it a giant advance in airborne luxury

May 30, 2009 04:30 AM
Heather Greenwood Davis
Special to the Star

ABOARD THE AIRBUS A380–For me, it was all about the shower.

Oh sure, I was excited about the doors that close you off from the world, the endless champagne, the on-demand gourmet meals, the hip bar and 23-inch touch-screen television, all part of the first-class experience on the Emirates A380.

But all those were just the icing – the cake was the luxury of showering in the sky.

The world's largest aircraft begins service to Toronto on Monday, bringing with it those singular amenities – for a price tag of about $10,000 (Cdn). :eek:

if the first flight is any indication, this should be a very successful enterprise:

Emirates targets 80% load on A380 Toronto
By Shweta Jain on Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Emirates, which launched the Airbus A380 on its Bangkok and Toronto routes yesterday, targets more than 70 per cent seat factors on the Bangkok route.

"In the first few months of flying the A380 on Bangkok route, we expect the load factors to be more than 70 per cent," an Emirates spokesperson told Emirates Business.

The airline is expecting to achieve high load factors on its A380 Toronto route as well. Nigel Page, Emirates' Senior Vice-President Commerical Operations Africa and the Americas, said: "Our loads on Toronto are looking very healthy. We anticipate bookings in the 80-90 per cent range for the first part of the summer."

The airline's first A380 flight to Toronto, meanwhile, achieved about a 94 per cent seat factor, according the spokesperson.

The airline, which recently pulled out the A380s from its New York route, due to falling capacity, in order to redeploy them on Bangkok and Toronto routes, will fly the superjumbo daily to Bangkok and thrice weekly to Toronto.

"The aircraft with its large capacity and excellent operating economies is a pillar of growth, for the airline and the destination. In Thailand, the introduction of the super jumbo will support the local government's multi-million dollar promotional drive to boost tourism arrivals from the high-yield Middle Eastern countries," Tim Clark, President, Emirates Airline, said in a statement.

He added: "At the same time the higher-capacity A380 will help address the strong demand for passenger and cargo services on the Dubai-Toronto route, which is currently restricted by the bi-lateral agreement to three flights per week."

Industry analysts, meanwhile, are of the opinion that the introduction of the A380 – the world's only twin-deck airliner with 35 per cent more seats than its closest rival – to Bangkok could help boost tourism in Thailand, which had until recently been marred by the political unrest in the country.

Some Bangkok hotels in the recent past saw occupancy rates falling to as low as 30 per cent, with estimates of tourist revenue losses of $500 million (Dh1.8 billion).

Describing Emirates' A380 as a positive development for Thailand's tourism industry, Chaisak Angkasuwan, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport, Thailand, said in a statement: "Our marketing campaigns focus on promoting Thailand as an ideal holiday destination in the Middle East. Travellers from this region make multiple visits to Thailand, staying on an average nine days and spending about $500m annually. We welcome the opportunity to partner with Emirates to grow the tourism potential."

Despite the current economic environment, the Middle East continues to deliver positive year-on-year growth of 5.7 per cent.

Tourist arrivals from the UAE alone rose by 99.46 per cent for January 2009 compared to the same period last year, Emirates said.

"With air travel due to triple in the next 18 years, larger aircraft such as the A380 are key to Emirates' plans to increasing passenger demand," said Clark.
LINK

and the 2nd Emirates A380 flight to YYZ is on its way today...registration will be A6-EDD today, for anyone who is interested in such things (inaugural was A6-EDB)....

Back