Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Can anyone recommend a lawyer? I didn't know I needed one for occupancy, thought it was just for closing, so I may be in trouble....

Thanks

I would not recommend any lawyer since I hate lawyers. They are like leeches. :p Google is your friend.

Do you have the number for management? I would like to raise some questions on behalf of my parents... all these issues are becoming ridiculous! This project has been delayed by 2 years and still they cannot get their act together! Wow!!!

I don't have the number handy, but you can always drop in to the office on P1.

Hi AngieLala,
for a 544sq unit...I calculated around $1015 Plus hydro...make sense? hmmm

Hi BodyImage,
That sounds about right. Might be a bit more with parking spot or balcony. I'm not sure how that part is calculated. I have a 624 sq unit, But they calculated it at 750.

Wow! This thread is really active. Keep it up guys. Got our keys yesterday but only really started moving some items today. First look at the unit after the PDI and to our relief they actually fix quite a few things that we noted. We did see some additional things we missed but its not the end of the world if they dont fix it.

We drove around the parking lot looking for our spot. The condo has quite a bit of visitor parking!

Oh and on other topics for our 672 sqf our pre-occupancy costs works out to be around $1200 altogether per month - they need 12 post dated cheques

Our lawyer provided a breakdown

How that is calculated is: 3.14% x (your outstanding balance) + Common Expense (I think it's maintenance + locker + parking) + (Tax on sale price)

Also, Rogers contacted us about the 6 months free but i'm always skeptical of Rogers...... gonna make sure no sneaky wording.

they contacted me, 6 months and if you want to continue its your choice.

Do you have the rep's name who contacted you? I wish somebody would call me...saves me the trouble. I don't get how they just call you...did they get everyone's name through Emerald customer care service....

Wow! This thread is really active. Keep it up guys. Got our keys yesterday but only really started moving some items today. First look at the unit after the PDI and to our relief they actually fix quite a few things that we noted. We did see some additional things we missed but its not the end of the world if they dont fix it.

We drove around the parking lot looking for our spot. The condo has quite a bit of visitor parking!

Oh and on other topics for our 672 sqf our pre-occupancy costs works out to be around $1200 altogether per month - they need 12 post dated cheques

Our lawyer provided a breakdown

How that is calculated is: 3.14% x (your outstanding balance) + Common Expense (I think it's maintenance + locker + parking) + (Tax on sale price)

Also, Rogers contacted us about the 6 months free but i'm always skeptical of Rogers...... gonna make sure no sneaky wording.

This is correct. The 3.14% is fixed as well as the other common fees. The only way you could have lower your occupancy fees is deposit more down payments which I considered except when I did the math by adding say additional $20k more...it only lowered the occupancy fee by like $10-$15 dollars, which to me was not worth it.

This is correct. The 3.14% is fixed as well as the other common fees. The only way you could have lower your occupancy fees is deposit more down payments which I considered except when I did the math by adding say additional $20k more...it only lowered the occupancy fee by like $10-$15 dollars, which to me was not worth it.

Do you know if there is a limit as to how much Emerald City will let you add to lower the occupancy fee, by any chance?

Do you know if there is a limit as to how much Emerald City will let you add to lower the occupancy fee, by any chance?

As far as I know...there is no limit except you needed to notify everybody - your lawyer, their lawyer so they can redo all the necessary documents before you pick up your keys.

But trust me...I considered adding $20K-$40K more...under $50/mth less on occupancy fee.

Last edited:
As far as I know...there is no limit except you needed to notify everybody - your lawyer, their lawyer so they can redo all the necessary documents before you pick up your keys.

But trust me...I considered adding $20K-$40K more...under $50/mth less on occupancy fee.

I guess tonight will be "do the math" night for us, too, then! :)

Thanks for the info!

This is correct, there is no limit. I put money down to lower the amount on occupancy fees, for me it was worth it.

This is correct, there is no limit. I put money down to lower the amount on occupancy fees, for me it was worth it.

Do you happen to know how secure the money is when you choose this option? I had read some stuff online saying there's nothing to protect money should something happen to the company (though I doubt anything would happen to it from now until registration!).

Do you happen to know how secure the money is when you choose this option? I had read some stuff online saying there's nothing to protect money should something happen to the company (though I doubt anything would happen to it from now until registration!).

I am not 100% how secure the money is, I feel comfortable enough putting it down in this situation, especially at this point. I gave my lawyer a bank draft and he handled the rest. well worth it if you put down a lot.

I am not 100% how secure the money is, I feel comfortable enough putting it down in this situation, especially at this point. I gave my lawyer a bank draft and he handled the rest. well worth it if you put down a lot.

Yes, it can cut down significantly if you put down a lot! We'll likely be taking this option as well. I think we should be pretty comfortable in this situation, too. Did you have to do all this before your PDI? Or anytime before actual move in?

Back