Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Sounds very nice, not sure if you have been by the site lately, but I drove by the other day and they have started working on the landscaping on that side of the building. starting to get a good vision of what the final product might look like.

Thanks for letting me know Canchris7, I haven't been east of Yonge for months! Hopefully someone will take new photos, if not I will be sure to pass by late May or June. I'm happy that my patio is a few feet or more above the sidewalk level, the landscaping should help with some privacy and security in addition to cosmetics.

Thanks for letting me know Canchris7, I haven't been east of Yonge for months! Hopefully someone will take new photos, if not I will be sure to pass by late May or June. I'm happy that my patio is a few feet or more above the sidewalk level, the landscaping should help with some privacy and security in addition to cosmetics.

I will snap a couple of photos from street level for you this weekend if you like.

Now that the building is registered, does anyone know what happens if there are any common elements that aren't built up to standard?
I think there are a few things that could/should be repaired before the costs get passed on to the tenants. I think someone mentioned that there is to be a third party that will do an assessment or something like that?

Here are some things I feel that should be fixed prior:
1) Elevators, they seem to be working fine lately but are they fully repaired after the water damage?
2) The extremely steep ramp to the parking lot. I foresee a lot of possible accidents happening because of the blind spots. Is there some sort of building code where a ramp can't be too steep? If you're ever going up the ramp on the right side, you'll see that at certain angles you can only see the sky and not the cars that could be going in.
3) The common area tiles look scratched and cracked. I think in the near future these will need to be replaced/repaired and I don't want us as tenants to have to bear these costs due to poor design.

Any comments?

You will get a form to report any common area deficiencies to the engineering firm hires to do the performance audit. They, together with the Board and management, will work through these deficiencies within the timeframe specified by Tarion

You will need to be patient. Sometimes the developer takes a while to get things fixed. While it may seem easier for management to just go ahead and do it, that could then result in the cost being paid for by owners rather than the developer. It's a slow process!

You will get a form to report any common area deficiencies to the engineering firm hires to do the performance audit. They, together with the Board and management, will work through these deficiencies within the timeframe specified by Tarion

You will need to be patient. Sometimes the developer takes a while to get things fixed. While it may seem easier for management to just go ahead and do it, that could then result in the cost being paid for by owners rather than the developer. It's a slow process!

Thanks PinkLucy. That's good to know. I'll be waiting for that form!
I did some research on that ramp. I'm just concerned because pretty soon three towers of residents will be coming in and out of that parking lot.

As per the City of Toronto Zoning Laws:

(3) Exterior Stairs, Access Ramp and Elevating Device

In the Residential Apartment Zone category:

(B) an uncovered ramp providing access to a building or structure may encroach into a required minimum building setback, if the ramp is:
(i) no longer than 15 horizontal units for each 1.0 vertical unit above the ground at the point where the ramp meets the building or structure;
(ii) no wider than 1.5 metres for each sloped ramp segment; and
(iii) no closer to a lot line than 0.6 metres; and

http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/bylaw/ZBL_NewProvision_Chapter15.htm

Now that the building is registered, does anyone know what happens if there are any common elements that aren't built up to standard?

Can I ask, approximately how long it took for you from taking occupancy to having the building registered? I have an occupancy date of late August for a suite I purchased in Tower 3, and am just curious.

Hi Enigma0t2,

I took occupancy around mid January, and the building closed on May 6th or 7th. There are ~18 floors above me.
I think it really depends on many different factors, so it's hard to predict.

Hi Enigma0t2,

I took occupancy around mid January, and the building closed on May 6th or 7th. There are ~18 floors above me.
I think it really depends on many different factors, so it's hard to predict.

Thanks Angie! I'm just trying to figure out when I should try to lock down a mortgage, especially since I'm told most banks can't lock down a rate for longer than 4 months.

Thanks PinkLucy. That's good to know. I'll be waiting for that form!
I did some research on that ramp. I'm just concerned because pretty soon three towers of residents will be coming in and out of that parking lot.

As per the City of Toronto Zoning Laws:

(3) Exterior Stairs, Access Ramp and Elevating Device

In the Residential Apartment Zone category:

(B) an uncovered ramp providing access to a building or structure may encroach into a required minimum building setback, if the ramp is:
(i) no longer than 15 horizontal units for each 1.0 vertical unit above the ground at the point where the ramp meets the building or structure;
(ii) no wider than 1.5 metres for each sloped ramp segment; and
(iii) no closer to a lot line than 0.6 metres; and

http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/bylaw/ZBL_NewProvision_Chapter15.htm

Are you saying that the current ramp on phase 1 will be the only ramp exit and enter for the three towers??! That is insane! It is already busy now, and some nuts just drive in and out without being aware of other car. It only matter of time before an accident happen.

Are you suggesting that zoning law prohibit the current ramp that we have to be used for the three towers?

Actually, I was assuming the ramp would be shared because I don't see any other entrances for the parking lot. The parking lot is so huge, don't you think it's shared?
I'm not saying anything about the zoning law. Im just saying it may be too steep.

So this just hit all the news: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/investors-group-unveils-3-year-mortgage-at-1-99-1.2641367

Investor's Group offering a 3 year closed variable mortgage @ 1.99%. Should I be jumping all over this?

I read an article last week in which someone sold their home within the first five years of ownership because they could not afford it. The bank wanted a $13 000 dollar penalty to get out early. I am only mentioning this because while rates are certainly very important, don't forget to check the fine print and consider all costs as well as potential costs. 1.99 is certainly very attractive though.

Actually, I was assuming the ramp would be shared because I don't see any other entrances for the parking lot. The parking lot is so huge, don't you think it's shared?
I'm not saying anything about the zoning law. Im just saying it may be too steep.

The following is an excerpt from the phase 3 disclosure. I interpret this to mean that there will be individual access but I cannot see any taking shape on the property.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 378
The following is an excerpt from the phase 3 disclosure. I interpret this to mean that there will be individual access but I cannot see any taking shape on the property.

I can't find any documentation to state this specifically ... But I recall getting the impression from the salesperson, that there would be some sort of garage access for Phase 3 off of George Henry Blvd (that little side street off of Don Mills). I remember pointing at the scale-model of Emerald City in the sales office and asking about this.

If someone plans to drive by the condo sometime, maybe that person could check if there's anything off of George Henry Blvd that look like garage access?

Back