Emerald City Condos (ELAD Canada) - Real Estate -

Once the building is registered, the Board of Directors will hire an engineering firm to do a building audit. ....
Does anyone know (typically) how soon after PDI does the building get registered? I imagine they need to finish all the PDI's first and probably need to complete the common elements then it gets registered?

They have up to 6 months AFTER registration to get the common elements completed. Sometimes registration is quick, sometimes not so much. The city, Consumer Affairs and probably other bureaucrats have to be "satisfied" that the developer built what it said it would build -- it doesn't have to be finished though. They can start the process as soon as one suite is occupied. Our building registered about 2 months after people started moving in, but I've heard nightmare stories of buildings that have taken years.

Also, I debated posting this but figured that I should.

I spoke with a bunch of workers while waiting for the elevator to arrive (since only one was working, we all had a long 25 minute wait before stuffing ourselves into the nearly full elevator). They were also annoyed with the elevator, and I heard them talking about it. I asked them if they knew what the problem was, since this keeps happening despite management telling us that the problem was "fixed".

The workers told me that the elevators were very damanged due to the multiple floodings, and for it to be fully repaired, it would be extremely expensive. Management is only doing "band aid fixes" and "patch up work" to make it work for now, because it's cheaper for them to temporarily "fix" some little stuff a couple times than finance the full fix. The workers recommended that we report this problem before registration, because apparently "This is something management is known to do in order to defer the cost on the tenants". I was grateful that the workers were nice and told us this and that we need to report it, as it may prevent our fees from going up due to this problem in the future. Now it comes down to finding out who we report to.

Also, does anyone know if an inspector will come to re-inspect the common elements before registration?

I just wanted to add a note about the elevators. Sorry, this might be quite a lengthy post so here's your advanced warning!

I saw the notice about Canada Post finally delivering yesterday, so I stopped at G to pick up the mail while my fiancé continued up to 29. I came back to the lobby (2 elevators were down) and waited a ridiculously long time for an elevator.

Some fire trucks arrived and the security guard put his key in the fire rescue slot. When the elevator arrives, he says "Sorry buddy, we gotta use this one for fire rescue so you'll have to get out for a bit" and out steps my confused fiancé! He had made it up to the 28th floor when security initiated fire rescue, so it came all the way back down to Ground! (I asked how it was possible that he was still on the elevator so long after I had gotten off - he said it was so busy and packed, it stopped on nearly every floor.)

Turns out the 3rd elevator was stuck on level 6 with 12 people inside! As others mentioned previously, apparently the elevators have sustained significant damage with the pipes bursting and flooding. Security said he suspected they had tried to cram too many people in the elevator and that it must've surpassed the weight limit, but I thought elevators alarm and won't move if it's too heavy?

Anyway, he said we could wait for the elevators to free up (which wouldn't be until the rescue was completed) or walk. 29 floors never seemed so far! Either way, just in case the elevator issue was due to overcrowding, PLEASE don't get on a packed elevator! I'm so claustrophic, so I feel so sorry for the 12 people stuck in that tiny box. The worst part is security said they had "only" been stuck for 15 minutes when the firemen arrived - there had been instances right after the flood where people were stuck for hours!

(When we walked up to the 6th floor, I stopped tocheck if I could get on the elevator. All the firemen were still standing outside the elevator looking at it, and when we finally made it back up to the 29th, I checked the elevators and they still hadn't freed up!!!)

I just wanted to add a note about the elevators. Sorry, this might be quite a lengthy post so here's your advanced warning!

I saw the notice about Canada Post finally delivering yesterday, so I stopped at G to pick up the mail while my fiancé continued up to 29. I came back to the lobby (2 elevators were down) and waited a ridiculously long time for an elevator.

Some fire trucks arrived and the security guard put his key in the fire rescue slot. When the elevator arrives, he says "Sorry buddy, we gotta use this one for fire rescue so you'll have to get out for a bit" and out steps my confused fiancé! He had made it up to the 28th floor when security initiated fire rescue, so it came all the way back down to Ground! (I asked how it was possible that he was still on the elevator so long after I had gotten off - he said it was so busy and packed, it stopped on nearly every floor.)

Turns out the 3rd elevator was stuck on level 6 with 12 people inside! As others mentioned previously, apparently the elevators have sustained significant damage with the pipes bursting and flooding. Security said he suspected they had tried to cram too many people in the elevator and that it must've surpassed the weight limit, but I thought elevators alarm and won't move if it's too heavy?

Anyway, he said we could wait for the elevators to free up (which wouldn't be until the rescue was completed) or walk. 29 floors never seemed so far! Either way, just in case the elevator issue was due to overcrowding, PLEASE don't get on a packed elevator! I'm so claustrophic, so I feel so sorry for the 12 people stuck in that tiny box. The worst part is security said they had "only" been stuck for 15 minutes when the firemen arrived - there had been instances right after the flood where people were stuck for hours!

(When we walked up to the 6th floor, I stopped tocheck if I could get on the elevator. All the firemen were still standing outside the elevator looking at it, and when we finally made it back up to the 29th, I checked the elevators and they still hadn't freed up!!!)

This elevator issue needs to be TRULY fixed, and is already overdue. I'm ok being patient with things like the lobby, the dirty carpets, the fact that pretty much nothing has been repaired in my unit since the PDI a month ago. But the elevator situation is just terrible, and unsafe.

I have also heard of people getting stuck in the elevator. I know elevators should have an alarm for when it's too heavy, so I hope ours do as well.

Last week, I waited nearly half an hour for the elevator (I'm on the 31st floor). I should have just taken the stairs, but I kept hearing the elevator so I figured it'll be there any second now. When I got in, there were only 3 people in the elevator. As we went down, it filled up quickly... to well over 15 people. Then a guy with a bike even got in! I kept thinking about the load limit too. It took forever to go down, as you said, it was pretty much floor by floor. It got stifling hot and claustrophobic. If I hadn't been up against the back corner of the elevator, I'd prob have gotten off and taken the stairs.

So, I agree with you. If there are already lots of people in the elevator, it would be nice if the people that were waiting for the elevator waited for the next time. If I lived on a lower floor, I'd just take the stairs. We even stopped on very low floors, and more people tried to cram inside. I think by the time we got to the lobby, we were almost 20 people and a bike in the elevator. And there was a huge line up in the lobby for people hoping to get in... it's crazy!

I think 4 elevators for such a large building is too little as it is. I dont know what they were thinking.

From personal experience ... a ratio of approx. 100 units per elevator would be "normal" and should not experience crazy delays (when all elevators are working) .... how many units does your building have? ... in Solaris there were 5 elevators serving about 470 units

I've been in some City place buildings where they go crazy with 300+ units and only 2 elevators, there you get the problems with overcrowding elevators and long lineups in the lobby

From personal experience ... a ratio of approx. 100 units per elevator would be "normal" and should not experience crazy delays (when all elevators are working) .... how many units does your building have? ... in Solaris there were 5 elevators serving about 470 units

I've been in some City place buildings where they go crazy with 300+ units and only 2 elevators, there you get the problems with overcrowding elevators and long lineups in the lobby

From what I know, we have 478 units in the building. So just a few more than Solaris had.

We have just over 300 units and 4 elevators which seems to work out well. I know someone who lives in one of those City Place buildings with only 2 elevators. It's crazy -- and they recently had a flood that shut them down; I think they're still only at one working elevator. Sounds like you guys are having a not-so-fun time of it.

Elevator issues suck; we've been dealing with them since Day 1 but not as bad as you're experiencing.

I lived in a building that had 40+ floors and 3 elevators. I don't know why the city allows some of this crap, really. There are a lot of rules/codes that need to be updated.

We have just over 300 units and 4 elevators which seems to work out well. I know someone who lives in one of those City Place buildings with only 2 elevators. It's crazy -- and they recently had a flood that shut them down; I think they're still only at one working elevator. Sounds like you guys are having a not-so-fun time of it.

Elevator issues suck; we've been dealing with them since Day 1 but not as bad as you're experiencing.

4 elevators for 300 units sounds good. In my opinion, they should have installed at least 5 elevators in our building.

Elevator issues do suck, especially when you're told it was fixed and then you're back to waiting 25mins for an overcrowded elevator again, a couple days later. It's like they just patch it up and keep their fingers crossed instead of repairing the root of the problem.

4 elevators for 300 units sounds good. In my opinion, they should have installed at least 5 elevators in our building.

Elevator issues do suck, especially when you're told it was fixed and then you're back to waiting 25mins for an overcrowded elevator again, a couple days later. It's like they just patch it up and keep their fingers crossed instead of repairing the root of the problem.

And based on the emptiness of the parking levels, I'm pretty sure a lot of people haven't even moved in yet. I don't want to imagine how much worse it'll be at full capacity...

And based on the emptiness of the parking levels, I'm pretty sure a lot of people haven't even moved in yet. I don't want to imagine how much worse it'll be at full capacity...

Good point.

The thing that I find odd is that while the resident parking lot is nearly empty, the visitors always seems full. Are people parking in visitors instead of their parking spots? It looks like there are more visitors in the building than residents!

Good point.

The thing that I find odd is that while the resident parking lot is nearly empty, the visitors always seems full. Are people parking in visitors instead of their parking spots? It looks like there are more visitors in the building than residents!

I have been wondering this myself, it bothers me how full visitor parking is.

I live in 1500 sq ft and work from home and pay just over $100/month.

Depends what you've got running and what time of day -- if the fan on your HVAC runs steady, that adds up. I set mine to auto so it goes on and off.

When you set the HVAC to auto, is it normal to still hear a hissing noise when the temperature is reached? What is this hissing noise? I know it is not the fan.

Also, I debated posting this but figured that I should.

I spoke with a bunch of workers while waiting for the elevator to arrive (since only one was working, we all had a long 25 minute wait before stuffing ourselves into the nearly full elevator). They were also annoyed with the elevator, and I heard them talking about it. I asked them if they knew what the problem was, since this keeps happening despite management telling us that the problem was "fixed".

The workers told me that the elevators were very damanged due to the multiple floodings, and for it to be fully repaired, it would be extremely expensive. Management is only doing "band aid fixes" and "patch up work" to make it work for now, because it's cheaper for them to temporarily "fix" some little stuff a couple times than finance the full fix. The workers recommended that we report this problem before registration, because apparently "This is something management is known to do in order to defer the cost on the tenants". I was grateful that the workers were nice and told us this and that we need to report it, as it may prevent our fees from going up due to this problem in the future. Now it comes down to finding out who we report to.

Also, does anyone know if an inspector will come to re-inspect the common elements before registration?

I also want to know who to report about the elevator situation to. I hope that what the workers is telling you is not the case. Where we can find answers?

I have been wondering this myself, it bothers me how full visitor parking is.

Some of the resident parking spots are still fenced off due to construction work. At least mine was last time I checked. Hence I park in the visitor's parking when I have my car.

Back