News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 293     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 830     0 

Ellesmere Road, 1952-2009

A couple of years ago I had the good fortune of capturing another feature of our modern road systems.

xTN-EllesmereRdeastfrom12301952.jpg

I am wondering if anyone has photos of the Warden-Ellesmere intersection under construction around 1966-1968.This is the dual CPR overpass bridges that corrected a terrible traffic problem when trains came to cross the intersection.This must have been voted the worst intersection in Metro Toronto before the new bridges for traffic congestion.I have 2 photos of the intersection before the bridges were built.Both photos are from the Scarborough Archives.In the first photo,I have marked which road is which because looking at the photo without the identification of each, is confusing seeing it for the first time.The actual track crossing is shared by both roads.
I'm sure the Toronto archives have all the photos,contractors etc,but I couldn't find where to start looking for the right section.
The new dual bridge overpass dated on the N/E wall is 1968.
attachment.php

Tim Horton's house, top right.
After the overpass was built it was still one of the worst intersections for accidents.
I can't read what you have written about the road (Canadian?) south of the railway tracks - what does it say?

The best thing to do is just search for Warden/Ellesmere in the Toronto Archives search box - I did but I couldn't find anything in either category - scanned and online/not scanned.
https://gencat4.eloquent-systems.co...=City+of+Toronto+Archives&eloquentref=toronto

Anna says:<I can't read what you have written about the road (Canadian?) south of the railway tracks - what does it say?>
It is the old spur line that branched off the main line.It crossed Warden Ave.,then went south between Warden and Birchmount,crossed Lawrence Ave.e. then served the industrial area to the south.

New Warden Ellesmere Intersection

I meant to post this photo earlier.(Looking South)
New Warden Ellesmere.jpg

Attachments

• New Warden Ellesmere.jpg
    New Warden Ellesmere.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,370
Anna says:<I can't read what you have written about the road (Canadian?) south of the railway tracks - what does it say?>
It is the old spur line that branched off the main line.It crossed Warden Ave.,then went south between Warden and Birchmount,crossed Lawrence Ave.e. then served the industrial area to the south.

Right, thanks. I remember it crossing Lawrence. Don't know if you have seen this at Old Time Trains
http://www.trainweb.org/oldtimetrains/CPR_Toronto/LEASIDE.htm

map_scarboro_ind_spur.jpg

What's I find so amazing about that pic is how quiet the rural areas just outside the city were in those days. Now, even most rural roads in places like Caledon and northern York Region are busy. I'd think only highways like 7 and 27 had traffic back then. Though Hwy. 27 was likely even busier than now before the 400 was built..

What's I find so amazing about that pic is how quiet the rural areas just outside the city were in those days. Now, even most rural roads in places like Caledon and northern York Region are busy. I'd think only highways like 7 and 27 had traffic back then. Though Hwy. 27 was likely even busier than now before the 400 was built..

Before the DVP and Bayview extension were built that part of Toronto was quite isolated from the old city. That's why Don Mills is relatively young compared to areas of the city much farther away from downtown.

Before the DVP and Bayview extension were built that part of Toronto was quite isolated from the old city. That's why Don Mills is relatively young compared to areas of the city much farther away from downtown.

Though a lot of Scarborough in that Wexfordian Vic Pk/Pharmacy/Warden zone is actually older than Don Mills--with a boost from, I suppose, Golden Mile industry, a "connectedness" w/Toronto via O'Connor, Kingston, etc...

The rapidity of development, even before the war, can be seen in this aerial for the Eglinton/Bathurst area in 1935 (only 17 years before the Ellesmere photo which started this thread);

This 1953 pic of Eglinton east of Keele reflects the semi-rural nature of Eglinton West even then (I'm not so old, but I do remember barns near Eglinton and Dufferin in the 60's):

eglinton keele.jpg

Attachments

• eglinton keele.jpg
    eglinton keele.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,258
Here's what can happen to the 'countryside' in only 7 years (1955-1962).
Markham Road at Danforth Rd. (now Painted Post Dr.) in Scarborough.

Well if you can put up a 50 storey condo in three years you can certainly turn one farm into a subdivision in basically no time. The before shots like this are very deceptive. It makes it seem totally rural when in fact city is probably just a short distance away just outside the frame of the photo. Just like that famous photo of the steel workers eating lunch on a steel beam way up on the Empire State Building. It looks a lot scarier than it really is when you realized there's a floor just 10-15 feet below them.

For Uncle Teddy:
Just to give some perspective to the land surrounding Markham & Danforth Rds. c.1954-55
The "city" was far away!

That shot still doesn't show what's to the south of these pictures. I'd like to see the same photos but looking south rather than north.

Back