Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

I don’t think demand would increase that much. That extra transfer and rather long trip to Mount Dennis would not attract any riders to transfer to it unless line 2 is down.

Kipling/Eg to Kipling station is 10 min on the 945. It’s closer to 15-20 min to Mt Dennis on the 32. If people are already on a bus. They won’t get off. So it’ll only attract Eglinton corridor riders.
There will also be a UPX and GO Train from Mt. Dennis Station. IF (and it's a big IF) there will ever be a GO/UPX and TTC fare integration this century, people may want to transfer to the UPX or GO to get downtown from Mt. Dennis. It would be less than 14 minutes travel time from Mt. Dennis to Union. So some people may want to use the 32A to get to Mt. Dennis and transfer to the UPX or GO.

They could implement a 932 Eglinton West Express to bypass most of the stops along Eglinton Avenue West.

There will also be a UPX and GO Train from Mt. Dennis Station. IF (and it's a big IF) there will ever be a GO/UPX and TTC fare integration this century, people may want to transfer to the UPX or GO to get downtown from Mt. Dennis. It would be less than 14 minutes travel time from Mt. Dennis to Union. So some people may want to use the 32A to get to Mt. Dennis and transfer to the UPX or GO.

They could implement a 932 Eglinton West Express to bypass most of the stops along Eglinton Avenue West.
People in northern Etobicoke could do that now with the 52/952 at Weston.

The 932 is really questionable. Knowing the TTC, they'll just run it to the Airport via Renforth which defeats the purpose of an express bus. They'll have to run the 932 to the Airport via the 427 at Martin Grove and skip Renforth to make any sense to time saving. It'll get stuck behind traffic anyways as there is no right turning lanes along Eglinton plus the stops are around 500m spacing on the 32A instead if the typical 300m. It is better off if they increased service on the 32A instead if they were to go to Renforth.

The Eglinton (West) LRT station for Line 5 and Jane LRT station for Line whatever will be interchange stations. They will also need to provide ramp and switch intersections for light rail vehicles to get to the Mt. Dennis Maintenance and Storage Facility.

What kind of interchange stations will they use?

Will it be like the Yonge-Bloor stations? WIll it be like the St. George stations? Will it be cross-platform interchange stations?

That has to be answered NOW, in the design stage.

From link.

InterchangeStation.png

1920px-Cross-platform_transfer_in_Taipei_metro.svg.png

1280px-Lionel_Groulx_Platform_Arrangement.svg.png

The answer is none of the above. The Line 5 station will be elevated, the Jane LRT (if it still will be an LRT) will either run in the median of Eglinton, or run next to it briefly. Immediately we can see that... there really isn't much flexibility in how this would be done.

The answer is none of the above. The Line 5 station will be elevated, the Jane LRT (if it still will be an LRT) will either run in the median of Eglinton, or run next to it briefly. Immediately we can see that... there really isn't much flexibility in how this would be done.
That's basically the Bloor-Yonge and Eglinton West/Cedarvale interchange stations. Stairs, escalators, and elevators needed to transfer passengers between the two lines.

Provision would be needed in the reconfiguration of the surface intersection then. Make the median of Jane Street wide enough for a future LRT, or on the sides, included the accessibility. The pillars of the elevated section of the Eglington West LRT has to be spaced NOW to fit the Jane LRT right-of-way in. Maybe the buses could use the Jane Street right-of-way for the time being.

Last edited:
That's basically the Bloor-Yonge and Eglinton West/Cedarvale interchange stations. Stairs, escalators, and elevators needed to transfer passengers between the two lines.

Provision would be needed in the reconfiguration of the surface intersection then. Make the median of Jane Street wide enough for a future LRT, or on the sides, included the accessibility. The pillars of the elevated section of the Eglington West LRT has to be spaced NOW to fit the Jane LRT right-of-way in. Maybe the buses could use the Jane Street right-of-way for the time being.
I think Jane would need its own Maintenance Facility, unless the Finch site has more room to expand (I don't think Mount Dennis could handle it, especially with the west, and potentially east, extensions).

I think Jane would need its own Maintenance Facility, unless the Finch site has more room to expand (I don't think Mount Dennis could handle it, especially with the west, and potentially east, extensions).
From link and link.

The Mt. Dennis Maintenance and Storage Facility will initially service 76 Bombardier Flexity Freedom vehicles but has capacity for 135 vehicles to handle any expansion of Line 5 Eglinton. According to Metrolinx, the site's ultimate capacity could be 162 Flexity Freedom vehicles.
The Mt. Dennis Facility was designed for the full Eglinton LRT, including west and east extensions, as well as space for a Jane LRT. They do want a facility in the east end for the Eglinton East LRT, as well as other possible LRT's in the east end, as well as a backup facility in case of fire or other disasters (knock wood).

From link and link.

The Mt. Dennis Facility was designed for the full Eglinton LRT, including west and east extensions, as well as space for a Jane LRT. They do want a facility in the east end for the Eglinton East LRT, as well as other possible LRT's in the east end, as well as a backup facility in case of fire or other disasters (knock wood).
I guess the possibility of storing the Jane LRT's at Mt Dennis is no longer possible. There's no way they can interline the at-grade Jane LRT with the elevated Eglinton West LRT. (I mean it's possible but highly improbable)

I guess the possibility of storing the Jane LRT's at Mt Dennis is no longer possible. There's no way they can interline the at-grade Jane LRT with the elevated Eglinton West LRT. (I mean it's possible but highly improbable)
I doubt Mt. Dennis will actually have enough room, and the fact that Eglinton will struggle with frequency and capacity means having some Jane deadheads would be unpopular. That said, connecting an elevated line and a surface line shouldn't be very hard

I doubt Mt. Dennis will actually have enough room, and the fact that Eglinton will struggle with frequency and capacity means having some Jane deadheads would be unpopular. That said, connecting an elevated line and a surface line shouldn't be very hard
When exactly will Eglinton struggle with frequency and capacity? The LRT is replacing buses, it's well within capacity.

A streetcar can handle an incline grade of 8% (IE. Bathurst Street hill south of St. Clair Avenue West). A light rail vehicle can handle an incline grade of 5% (IE. Eglinton LRT exiting the Keelesdale portal and climbing over Black Creek and Black Creek Drive bridges). They like to keep the subway incline at no more than 3% uphill, but sometimes they can use steeper inclines for speeding downhill.

Can you provide the link with the reference that there will be not enough room at Mt. Dennis?

Last edited:
They just need a ramp like a highway. Such idea was proposed from Sheppard East at Don Mills.

I would say it with a bit less hyperbole: Assuming Eglinton is extended to Pearson at one end, and east of Kennedy at the other, and assuming the ridership reaches a point where frequent 3-car LRV trains are used, the Mount Dennis MSF will not have enough car storage or maintenance capacity left to support a Jane LRT line. Jane will have to be serviced from Finch, or from a new facility.

- Paul

Back