Toronto Eglinton Line 5 Crosstown West Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Easy to get results when you weaken any mechanisms to oppose projects and farm out construction/design to private consortiums. It's good we're making progress.

Shovels are already in the ground for 2 out of the 4 projects, with OL and YN close behind. Of course the benefit of the doubt is granted because they have already displayed substantial progress. Its not like they just announced stuff and we're assuming they're going to do it.
Is the 4th project you're referring to the SSE? I only saw 3 listed in the comment above (OL, Eglinton West, and Yonge North).
Good point about Eglinton West - the topic of this thread, and you are right that that one is shovels in the ground.

There is much support here for the PCs on transit, and I am honestly surprised. I did not think the previous government was anywhere near fast enough on the file, and yet it does seem like credit for projects from the previous mandate, such as CT is incorrectly going to the current government. We also saw, outside of the GTA, Kitchener and Ottawa's projects constructed during the previous government's mandates, and the Liberals close on Finch West days before the writ dropped, as many predicted a Ford government would have cancelled the project if they had had the chance to do so without penalty.
Although I am not a fan of Ford, I do feel more confident now that his party has done an about-face on some of their previous policies, and they seem to be more pro-transit than when they took office. Perhaps it's easy to forget that in the early days of Ford, many of us lost hope that the Big Move and RER would continue to progress when the PCs renamed the latter project to GO Expansion and the officially classed much of the project as "under review".

My take is that things started to turn around after Ford was booed at the Raptors celebration. Not that the booing was the cause - it only vocalized public opinion to their policies that impacted among other things, transit. Now we seem to be settling into the method that the current Quebec government is using - limiting the pre-construction assessments to speed up infrastructure expansion. I am in favour of that.

Is the 4th project you're referring to the SSE? I only saw 3 listed in the comment above (OL, Eglinton West, and Yonge North).
Yes, the TBMs have already hit the ground and I believe have started digging? Not too sure - it is ahead of Eglinton West in terms of progress though.
Good point about Eglinton West - the topic of this thread, and you are right that that one is shovels in the ground.

There is much support here for the PCs on transit, and I am honestly surprised. I did not think the previous government was anywhere near fast enough on the file, and yet it does seem like credit for projects from the previous mandate, such as CT is incorrectly going to the current government.
CT? You mean Crosstown? I don't think anyone is giving the current government credit for that - same with Finch West. The credit they're getting is with the priority subway projects - and the increased scope of GO Expansion. With the exception of certain LRT projects - very little corner cutting has been done while pushing the stakes further. This also applies to pushing for new initiatives like TOC - moving to a Hong Kong (MTR) style approach of transit construction where costs are offset by the development of new communities.
My take is that things started to turn around after Ford was booed at the Raptors celebration. Not that the booing was the cause - it only vocalized public opinion to their policies that impacted among other things, transit. Now we seem to be settling into the method that the current Quebec government is using - limiting the pre-construction assessments to speed up infrastructure expansion. I am in favour of that.
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I'm pretty sure most of the major transit related announcements and releases were made before the raptor's final. The GO Expansion Full Business Case and all of its juicy new details was finished in November 2018 (Publicly released December 2018), and the Ontario Subways Plan was announced in April 2019, ~ 2 months before the Raptor's games. I really doubt the Raptor's games had a significant impact - if any at all on the administration in terms of priorities - especially in the realm of transit. The only thing that was actually occurring at the time was NDP supporters fear mongering on twitter - talking about how Doug Ford was best buddies with Mike Harris, and that his premiership was going to be a repeat of the late 90s with transit expansion stalling, which we today know with 20/20 hindsight was completely untrue. There is no evidence of any form of gear shift at any point within the last 3.5 years.

To everyone that thinks that the Ford government is making a breakneck pace in transit development, it only seems to be the case because most of the planning work has been done under the Liberal government, the same government which enhanced the environmental assessment and consultation requirements to ensure that future projects are carried through in a responsible manner.

The only thing that Ford did was to make these laws ineffective by removing those requirements, as well as moving forward with most of the Liberal agenda which is now suddenly shovel-ready since theres no longer a legal responsibility.

This method of working may get projects done quicker, though there will be a much larger environmental cost to pay as climate change takes a better hold on this planet, especially considering all the additional highway construction that they’re trying to ram through with this legislation…
If its for transit, getting stuff built faster is going to have a much bigger impact than the changes to the EA process.

To everyone that thinks that the Ford government is making a breakneck pace in transit development, it only seems to be the case because most of the planning work has been done under the Liberal government, the same government which enhanced the environmental assessment and consultation requirements to ensure that future projects are carried through in a responsible manner.

The only thing that Ford did was to make these laws ineffective by removing those requirements, as well as moving forward with most of the Liberal agenda which is now suddenly shovel-ready since theres no longer a legal responsibility.

This method of working may get projects done quicker, though there will be a much larger environmental cost to pay as climate change takes a better hold on this planet, especially considering all the additional highway construction that they’re trying to ram through with this legislation…
LOL - My friend you can have all the plans in the world but execution and funding them is needed or else you get nothing. All the Liberals did was stalling and delaying! Literally all they did and if you think otherwise you should do more research. As a life time Liberal I am openly admitting that Ford has done thousand times more for Transit that McGuinty and Wynne combined

There are bigger environmental and economic costs in delaying transit projects and letting gasoline cars run for longer.

LOL - My friend you can have all the plans in the world but execution and funding them is needed or else you get nothing. All the Liberals did was stalling and delaying! Literally all they did and if you think otherwise you should do more research. As a life time Liberal I am openly admitting that Ford has done thousand times more for Transit that McGuinty and Wynne combined
Exactly. I voted for Liberals just a few months ago in federal elections but for Ontario's elections, I will vote for Ford (even though I find him repulsive sometimes). People should think beyond the usual party lines. Not everything is right with their favourite party and not everything is wrong with the opposing party.

When the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is extended into Etobicoke towards Renforth Station (and later the Pearson Airport Transit Hub), the headway will likely be similar to the rapid transit (AKA subway). That's 5± minutes in the non-rush hours. Not so now. (COVID-19 also not helping.)

See link to the 32A Eglinton West bus on Sunday from Renforth Station.

1641478966137.png

Think it is time that the 32 Eglinton West (as it will be called) to eventually get a better headway schedule, by the time Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown opens (allegedly) this year. Every 5± minutes would be nice.

2022_serviceplan_line5busroutes.png
From link.

Waited for a 32A Eglinton West from Jane Street yesterday almost 20 minutes around 10 AM.

When the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is extended into Etobicoke towards Renforth Station (and later the Pearson Airport Transit Hub), the headway will likely be similar to the rapid transit (AKA subway). That's 5± minutes in the non-rush hours. Not so now. (COVID-19 also not helping.)

See link to the 32A Eglinton West bus on Sunday from Renforth Station.

View attachment 373342

Think it is time that the 32 Eglinton West (as it will be called) to eventually get a better headway schedule, by the time Line 5 Eglinton Crosstown opens (allegedly) this year. Every 5± minutes would be nice.

2022_serviceplan_line5busroutes.png
From link.

Waited for a 32A Eglinton West from Jane Street yesterday almost 20 minutes around 10 AM.
The 32A has been temporary removed from the 10 min network like many routes have been too. With COVID, the stupid idea of padding time into the schedules and budget constraints, we don't even know when most of these routes will return to 10min or better. Sometimes a missing bus would result in a large gap and it's much worst westbound than eastbound on the 32A beyond Keele.

We would see a large amount of riders shift from Line 2 to Line 5 once Eg West completes. They could build a bus terminal at Martin Grove and have the 927 rerouted there. A new Pearson-Martin Grove Station shuttle could really help till they extend the line to Pearson.

The 32A Eglinton West bus will become a large feeder route from Renforth Station (using buses) to Mt. Dennis Station. Likely we will see articulated buses being used after Line 5 opens this (or hopefully not next) year. That would be "temporary" until the Eglinton West LRT extension is completed.

The bad news would be that the construction for the extension will cause delays for the route. Both for the buses and the single-occupant automobiles that use Eglinton West in Etobicoke.

The 32A Eglinton West bus will become a large feeder route from Renforth Station (using buses) to Mt. Dennis Station. Likely we will see articulated buses being used after Line 5 opens this (or hopefully not next) year. That would be "temporary" until the Eglinton West LRT extension is completed.

The bad news would be that the construction for the extension will cause delays for the route. Both for the buses and the single-occupant automobiles that use Eglinton West in Etobicoke.
is there a huge demand to get to Renforth Station?

From link.

Renforth, referred to during planning as Renforth Gateway, is a bus station on the border of the cities of Mississauga and Toronto, in Ontario, Canada. Located at Eglinton Avenue and Commerce Boulevard, it is the eastern terminus of the Mississauga Transitway and is close to the interchange between Highway 401 and Highway 427.

Service consists of bus rapid transit on the Mississauga Transitway, local MiWay and Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) bus routes, GO Transit express routes on the Highway 401 / Highway 407 corridor and an express connection to Kipling subway station via Highway 427

Bus routes​

GO Transit​

• 19 Mississauga/North York
  • 29 Mississauga/Guelph
  • 40 Hamilton/Richmond Hill Pearson Express

MiWay​

• 7 Airport
  • 24 Northwest
  • 35 Eglinton (board on curbside stops outside station)
  • 39 Britannia
  • 43 Matheson–Argentia
  • 57 Courtneypark
  • 74 Explorer
  • 87 Meadowvale–Skymark
  • 100 Airport Express
  • 107 Malton Express
  • 109 Meadowvale Express

TTC​

• 32A Eglinton West
  • 112B/C West Mall
And of course the future Line 5 Eglinton West LRT extension.

From link.

Bus routes​

GO Transit​

• 19 Mississauga/North York
  • 29 Mississauga/Guelph
  • 40 Hamilton/Richmond Hill Pearson Express

MiWay​

• 7 Airport
  • 24 Northwest
  • 35 Eglinton (board on curbside stops outside station)
  • 39 Britannia
  • 43 Matheson–Argentia
  • 57 Courtneypark
  • 74 Explorer
  • 87 Meadowvale–Skymark
  • 100 Airport Express
  • 107 Malton Express
  • 109 Meadowvale Express

TTC​

• 32A Eglinton West
  • 112B/C West Mall
And of course the future Line 5 Eglinton West LRT extension.
Oh, i know why a lot of MiWay and GO routes would want to get there...but not sure why there would be a huge demand from TTC to get there..

As it currently stands from the 32A, not much at all.

That would change very slightly when the LRT is connected all the way through to Renforth, but the bigger driver would be an extension to Pearson (if that happens in our lifetimes).

I don’t think demand would increase that much. That extra transfer and rather long trip to Mount Dennis would not attract any riders to transfer to it unless line 2 is down.

Kipling/Eg to Kipling station is 10 min on the 945. It’s closer to 15-20 min to Mt Dennis on the 32. If people are already on a bus. They won’t get off. So it’ll only attract Eglinton corridor riders.

Back