News   Aug 10, 2020
 1.2K     2 

Eglinton West LRT | Metrolinx

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Mt. Dennis Station will have...

"40 outdoor and 80 indoor bicycle parking spaces. The indoor bicycle storage will be located at the main entrance." From link.

The disadvantage for those from Etobicoke is the big hill to get up from Jane Street to Weston Road. The return trip would be better. IF there could build the segregated bicycle lane on the south side by the time Line 5 is opened, that would be of some advantage, except when they start construction of the Eglinton Flats portal on the north side.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score

"40 outdoor and 80 indoor bicycle parking spaces. The indoor bicycle storage will be located at the main entrance." From link.

The disadvantage for those from Etobicoke is the big hill to get up from Jane Street to Weston Road. The return trip would be better. IF there could build the segregated bicycle lane on the south side by the time Line 5 is opened, that would be of some advantage, except when they start construction of the Eglinton Flats portal on the north side.
I doubt they'll ever build a bike lane there. They'll have to expropriate some houses to even have enough space for a bike lane.

robmausser

Member Bio
Reaction score

A lot of the issues of Toronto biking (hills) will be solved with ebikes.

I saw a Toronto Star opinion piece from a professor of Ryerson no less (embarrassing, I went there) that bikes will never catch on in Toronto because its not flat enough here. Uh, not only does the data say the opposite, that bikes ARE catching on, but has he never seen an E-Bike before?

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
A lot of the issues of Toronto biking (hills) will be solved with ebikes.

I saw a Toronto Star opinion piece from a professor of Ryerson no less (embarrassing, I went there) that bikes will never catch on in Toronto because its not flat enough here. Uh, not only does the data say the opposite, that bikes ARE catching on, but has he never seen an E-Bike before?
Biking is very popular in San Francisco, a city not exactly known for its level terrain.

sche

Member Bio
Reaction score
They are free in Montréal and were not a success at all. There were plans of building more, like bike rails in metro stations but their usage have been way under expectations.
Probably due to a lack of cycling infrastructure, i assume?

EastYorkTTCFan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Probably due to a lack of cycling infrastructure, i assume?
Not really, more like stolen bikes. People prefer BIXI now.
During the rebuild of Victoria park station they added an inclosed bike storage area, from what I can gather from information from when I last looked at it you have to sign up with the city of Toronto to get a code to use it. Since I live within in walking distance to it I never really bothered after that.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
During the rebuild of Victoria park station they added an inclosed bike storage area, from what I can gather from information from when I last looked at it you have to sign up with the city of Toronto to get a code to use it. Since I live within in walking distance to it I never really bothered after that.
The powers-that-be do their best worst to discourage cycling and e-biking. For example, here in North America we require bike helmets for the under 18's, and for all if e-biking.

rbt

Member Bio
Reaction score
The powers-that-be do their best worst to discourage cycling and e-biking. For example, here in North America we require bike helmets for the under 18's, and for all if e-biking.
The NL information is buried somewhere in here:

The Netherlands had an average 2,150 cyclist hospital admissions for head/brain injuries per year from 2003-2007. Per-capita travel by bicycle was 2.5km/day.

Australia had about 1,122 serious head injuries in Australia in 2005/06 for cyclists. Per-capita travel by bicycle was 0.1km/day in that time period.

Australia has a 25% higher population, but even still it's quite clear Australia has far higher number of hospital admissions per km cycled than Netherlands despite most of Australia having mandatory helmet laws at that time. These injury rates were down significantly from the '80's before helmet laws were in place.

I don't have Canadian (or Ontario) numbers but I expect they're much closer to Australia's than NLs.