News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 982     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Eglinton East LRT | Metrolinx

So did they decide to make Morningside & Kingston an underground station or above ground?
Final design is years off, if this project even gets off the ground. I personally don’t see underground in these low density areas, possibly elevated in sections. The success or failure of the crosstown and finch line once up and running will heavily influence this design. The underground stations in the crosstown with their overbuilt massive 2/3 storey glass entrance buildings seem like a tremendous waste of money and real estate. Hopefully future designers learn from this. The open air at grade shelter stops in the Scarborough section are the exact opposite, not sure why the section from VP to Warden was not elevated.

If there is one thing they learn from Line 5 and 6 it should be to build stops with enclosed shelters. Picture from Quebec Tramway proposal.

b2ap3_large_CHUL_B_nuit-2200.jpg

If there is one thing they learn from Line 5 and 6 it should be to build stops with enclosed shelters. Picture from Quebec Tramway proposal.

View attachment 565079
If the LRT is supposed to be there every five minutes I don’t understand the need to build stations. Seems like a waste of money. Stations get vandalized. It becomes housing for others. And this is not Quebec City which has winters in the -30s.

And wasn't the Quebec tram project cancelled when changes in commuting and construction costs rendered the cost-benefit equation untenable? I think we're shifting into a minimum viable product era of transit lines and we'd better get used to it.

If the LRT is supposed to be there every five minutes I don’t understand the need to build stations. Seems like a waste of money. Stations get vandalized. It becomes housing for others. And this is not Quebec City which has winters in the -30s.
Toronto winters can still get bad, delays can and absolutely will occur on surface sections. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that you get to a station right as a tram leaves, and you have to wait up to 10m for the next one to arrive. Heck, even 5m can be rough for some people.

Iirc the original plan in Transit City would've been to have either full shelters, or at least heat lamps along the platform that can be used to keep warm. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was value engineered out of the plan sometime around when Metrolinx took over.

Toronto winters can still get bad, delays can and absolutely will occur on surface sections. It is entirely within the realm of possibility that you get to a station right as a tram leaves, and you have to wait up to 10m for the next one to arrive. Heck, even 5m can be rough for some people.

Iirc the original plan in Transit City would've been to have either full shelters, or at least heat lamps along the platform that can be used to keep warm. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it was value engineered out of the plan sometime around when Metrolinx took over.
We got rid of shelters because of vandalism. People can complain but that’s the facts. Shelters were like our subway systems elevators. Constantly under maintenance . I understand viva where a bus comes randomly every half hour but this will be a high frequency route and it’s just an upfront expense followed by the frustration that the shelter is not available because the glass is broken and wrapped in caution tape. Then comes the expense to fix the item. It’s just money burning at its finest.

Last edited:
We got rid of shelters because of vandalism. People can complain but that’s the facts. Shelters were like our subway systems elevators. Constantly under renovations. I understand viva where a bus comes randomly every half hour but this will be a high frequency route and it’s just an upfront expense followed by the frustration that the shelter is not available because the glass is broken and wrapped in caution tape. Then comes the expense to fix the item. It’s just money burning at its finest.
Do we fix them or is it Pattinson?

We got rid of shelters because of vandalism. People can complain but that’s the facts. Shelters were like our subway systems elevators. Constantly under maintenance . I understand viva where a bus comes randomly every half hour but this will be a high frequency route and it’s just an upfront expense followed by the frustration that the shelter is not available because the glass is broken and wrapped in caution tape. Then comes the expense to fix the item. It’s just money burning at its finest.

If you have a properly funded transit system you can simply have regular cleaning and maintenance crews that keep stations in good condition.

Look at skytrain in Vancouver: despite the huge homeless and drug use problem, stations are cleaner than the TTC with less vandalism. Why? Because they have a lot of station attendants, constant and strict cleaning schedules, and a dedicated Translink police force with the power to arrest people,

Who got rid of transit shelters? Astral continue to erect and maintain them here in TO.

We went from these large sized ones to this smaller one. Less glass to smash. No where to move into.

View attachment 565486View attachment 565487
It's Astral Media who came up with this idiotic concept, not the city.

As much as I like to blame the city for a lot of things (especially giving the contract to Astral for street furnishing for as long as they did), the bad quality transit shelters in this city are right on the feet of Astral. They're the one's who came up with the abysmal design we see spewed all around the city today.

If you have a properly funded transit system you can simply have regular cleaning and maintenance crews that keep stations in good condition.

Look at skytrain in Vancouver: despite the huge homeless and drug use problem, stations are cleaner than the TTC with less vandalism. Why? Because they have a lot of station attendants, constant and strict cleaning schedules, and a dedicated Translink police force with the power to arrest people,
The skytrain stations were pretty ratty when I went, the elevators also weren't glass so it felt abit sketchier riding. I think part of it is that the climate is more moderate so you don't need to hide in there as much

Back