News   Jul 25, 2024
 371     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 534     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 457     0 

Eglinton-Crosstown Corridor Debate

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
I think you've got it exactly right - and the subway-philes around here need to realize that Ford is going to keep them sub-waiting forever.

I'm definitely pro-subway, but I don't want Sheppard. At least not in the top 3 projects. I strongly suspect that Metrolinx is going to step in, and say that Sheppard has to wait in line. Metrolinx has their priority lines, Ford has his. Given that Metrolinx is holding the chequebook, I think they're going to win. I also suspect that a B-D extension to STC is going to be in the cards, just so that Ford can say that he got a subway to STC (although not the one that he wanted first, B-D to STC was still on his transit "plan").

I think we can all live without any LRT or subway on Sheppard. I fully support finishing Sheppard to Downsview and STC. But I think of the three, replacing the SRT with a subway to STC is a definite winner. And the Eglinton line would be true Crosstown line and would make a very usable connection to the airport for Torontonians.

Even if they built the Eglinton Line, it would still be faster for many in Toronto using the current very ususable TTC connection to the Airport.

Um I'm afraid I don't know what you're saying here? That people would go out of their way to trek to Kipling and use the Rocket bus from there instead of using the Eglinton Crosstown? Personally I think people would use whatever is closer for them.

I think just for simplicity having the B-D extension to STC, would leave room for the eglinton LRT to eventually extend through as the scarborough-malvern line, essentially changing 4 different lines into two.

That's all I was saying ... and for the half of the city near or below Bloor, that would be the current rocket.

Though I'll be sorely tempted to use the Airport train if it isn't an arm and a leg.

I'm not sure I agree that half of the city is near or below Bloor, especially when you take York Region into account.

I'm not sure I agree that half of the city is near or below Bloor, especially when you take York Region into account.
Last time I checked, the city ended at Steeles. If we talk GTA then that's a fair comment ... but I didn't say GTA.

All I'm saying is that extending the Eglinton LRT to the airport isn't the be all and end all; though I think it is a good idea.

Last time I checked, the city ended at Steeles. If we talk GTA then that's a fair comment ... but I didn't say GTA.

All I'm saying is that extending the Eglinton LRT to the airport isn't the be all and end all; though I think it is a good idea.

I didn't say it was the be all and end all. I think it's a good idea as well.

It would come out of the same magical pot of money that was originally earmarked for Transit City by Miller, that once the Province took over, they no longer had to pay. Simple.

So you're saying that the City's "self-funded" plan for Transit City was a complete pipedream?

Yup, and you really need to get your facts straight.

From the Globe and Mail:

See? Simple.

From York region you would be nuts to touch the TTC when there is the convenient GO bus from Richmond Hill Centre to the Airport.

That bus runs once every hour, and does not stop anywhere in York Region but at RHC. Getting to RHC by bus from many locations in York Region is a challenge on its own.

Of course, if they had a VIVA route to Pearson, running on 15-min headways and stopping at all major intersections, that would be a lot more practical.

Um I'm afraid I don't know what you're saying here? That people would go out of their way to trek to Kipling and use the Rocket bus from there instead of using the Eglinton Crosstown? Personally I think people would use whatever is closer for them.

If someone is traveling with luggage, the last thing they want to do is use a bus. I'd go out of my way to head up to Eglinton and take the subway (or LRT) right to the airport.

If someone is traveling with luggage, the last thing they want to do is use a bus. I'd go out of my way to head up to Eglinton and take the subway (or LRT) right to the airport.
The subway to bus and bus to airport transfers on the Rocket aren't that bad. And many if not most have luggage, so the driver is patient, and it's not the same hassle as when you have lots of luggage on a regular bus at a regular stop. And a single elevator takes you from the subway platform to near the bus stop.

Quite frankly, I've found it easier than lugging my bags on the Tube in London, where changing lines meant dragging the stuff up escalators, down escalators, and through long tunnels.

I used to drive and park at the airport, but as the prices have gotten even more outlandish there, I'm a convert for personal travel - even if it takes me 75 minutes on the bus, subway, and streetcar.

I might take the Eglinton LRT to the airport as well... but I would curse if the vehicle stopped at Silver Dart, Rangoon, Lloyd Manor, Wincott, Eden Valley, or Mulham Place.

Back