News   Apr 18, 2024
 704     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.3K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 

Edge Lofts Condos (Streetcar Development) - Real Estate -

Hey Queenwestres

I bought at Edge back in July 2006. They have delayed occupancy a number of times since: from March, to July, to September and now January 2009. The building does seem to be dragging on; it's been a few months since they dismantled the crane but it seems not a whole lot has been done (at least in terms of what is visibly obvious).

In terms of my experiences in dealing with them, I have not had too much interaction with them apart from buying, picking finishes and follow up letters from them about construction progress. They were hardasses about pricing on the unit and on finishes; not very flexible about either.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I hope you sort things about; you might want to see if a lawyer can advise whether you have any recourse on the price hike (there might be a clause buried somewhere in the agreement on that point).

I'll keep you guys posted on progress; if any further delays come up, I should get notice by Oct. 10, 2008.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks Facebook, that was a big help. We dealt with it yesterday and they actually were fair in honouring our original price per square foot to get a unit closer to the original one we purchased. We are still unsure why they would sell something before they have the necessary approvals, but we can't seem to get any answers so here's hoping everything will go smooth from here! Finger's crossed! It seems they were rushing maybe and I'm sure it wasn't cheap to completely overhaul the building, so I'm sure it's not what anybody wanted but was the best way to get things moving on phase 2.

Good luck with your building as well, it will be a great one.
Thanks!

Thanks, Queen.

Glad to hear things worked out reasonably well. Good luck with the exciting purchase!

BTW - from what I understand, builders are usually eager to sell the first 60 - 70% of a building because they must hit that target for sales in order to get financing (to build the condo) from the bank. Maybe they rushed things to try to get the level of sales needed. Of course, the Agreement (which they wrote) is full of clauses to protect them in the event they need to make changes to the floor plan, etc.

I consider myself one of the happy buyers of a suite at Edge Lofts. I purchased it back in 2006 as well.

The delays have been long, but as of today I believe my posession date is pretty final. According to the purchase agreement, they are to provide 60-days notice prior to a change in the possession date. Any notice now will be under 60 days notice so I'm considering it a final date. I'm sure anything can happen now and if they can't make the date they can't make it... I just don't know what it means for me if it does change.

I bought at the Edge Lofts for many reasons:

-I loved the size and layout of the units I bought compared to other developments
-I love the location (proximity to Lesliville, downtown and two 24hr streetcar routes). I'm currently living on Roncesvalles facing the street and streetcar route. Yes, the streetcar is loud and you can feel it everytime it passes, I don't consider it much of a distraction (I actually like the sounds). My unit in the condo faces west overlooking downtown and it is further from the streetcar than where I currently am so it shouldn't be worse (especially when combined with more advanced building techniques and materials).
-The fact it's a low-rise with few amenities to keep costs down
-I also bought one of the private roof-top gardens which I think is a pretty unique selling feature

I've had some interaction with Streetcar Development and much of it really disappoints me.

Hey Bog,

My date has been moved as well. The only thing is that I am now less then 30 days. I have read that Tarion agreement and there is something about 35 days and then 15 days. Have you received anything in regards to PDI inspections? Did they send you the letter about providing Rogers services?

The builders confirmed I should be moving in on January 16. Are you moving sometime in December?

I did receive a notice about Rogers providing a year of free service. I haven't received any more details about this yet.

I am moving on January 13th. Prior to that my date had been early December.

I am interested to see what the details are with Rogers. They didn't really explain the "supplier issues". I am also interested about PDI inspections since they typically happen 2 weeks before move in. That would mean over the holidays.

I usually go by every week but haven't in the past month. I am interested to see where they are at inside. Drywall, cabinets and appliances shouldn't take to long to put together.

Did you get my private message?

I think they had serious issues with getting labour and delivery of the windows. However, they aren't going to share this kind of detail.

I'm going to try and convince one of the construction workers to take my camera and snap pictures throughout my unit and maybe some of the common areas.

I think the details of the Rogers service is more about Rogers trying to get a hold on new clients. I hope it doesn't require any long-term contracts.

Our move in time is good if we want to take advantage of some boxing day sales (LCD TV maybe?). After buying the loft I moved to Saudi Arabia for work then been working between Toronto and Winnipeg. I'm rarely in Toronto to see the site but drive by every chance I get. Maybe I'll finally have a fixed address in January.

What kind of upgrades did you do? I did a few like extensive conduits, island in the kitchen, pocket doors and extended cabinets. I also provided specific locations for some outlets and lights. I have the rooftop garden on the south west corner.

I was given a Jan. 10, 2009 occupancy date back in the fall...that still hasn't changed, although I am skeptical since I am on the 5th floor and I have been hearing that people on lower floors have been given later move in dates?! Doesn't make sense....

It's been rather challenging getting details/updates from the builder on the status, which is annoying since people obvioulsy need to plan for the move.

What is story with the Roger's deal? Free service for a year?

In terms of upgrades, I got an island in the kitchen, gas line for BBQ, upgraded cabinets, tiled bathtub surround, caesar stone counters. Couple of other minor things.

I'll keep you guys posted with what I hear over the next while...

I know what you mean about planning for the move. I've had my stuff in storage for a year and been living with no fixed address basically.

Streetcar Developments - A Bad Investment no matter where you live

Save your money, and invest in Freed or Brad Lamb's Properties. These guys will screw you every chance they get. They are building fast and furious in the City, and will do whatever they need to to get your last dime…including early move ins complete with drilling noise at all hours, drywall dust all over your stuff, and withholding money from closing.

There are enough options in the City not to invest with these guys. Trust us on this one.

Edge Lofts has been done for a long time now. I didn't have issues with money being withheld.

I'm very happy with my place. Admittedly, I was anxious about my first place nd enters everything to be perfect. There were some things I wasn't happy with and some things I were thrilled with. I'm actually considering another property from Streetcar.

What property did you buy from Streetcar that has given you such an experience?

Save your money, and invest in Freed or Brad Lamb's Properties. These guys will screw you every chance they get. They are building fast and furious in the City, and will do whatever they need to to get your last dime…including early move ins complete with drilling noise at all hours, drywall dust all over your stuff, and withholding money from closing.

There are enough options in the City not to invest with these guys. Trust us on this one.

Sounds like every other project in the city.

"I've had some interaction with Streetcar Development and much of it really disappoints me."

That is the problem with Streetcar. They are completely motivated by money. And let's be honest, most developers are. However the lack of customer service and outright 'abuse' of their tenants has been shocking. A complete lack of integrity related to follow through on promises, no response to repeated requests for assistance, and an outright contempt for the rights of their tenants. I will NEVER buy a Streetcar property, and am hopeful that enough people will start speaking out about their terrible experiences with this group, because there are many out there. Nobody seems to know what to do about it, so typically, they do nothing.

I don't think it much matters what property was purchased. You quoted earlier that your interactions with them have been disappointing. I don't have that experience with my current property. If something needs to be fixed, or a request is made for assistance, it is handled professionally and with the intention of ensuring that the needs of the residents are met. There seems to be a lack of awareness on their part about the fact that we as homeowners hold the power to purchase. So why would I ever purchase from a developer that treats its tenants as if they are doing them a favour when they ask for assistance with challenges that arise from their construction or management?

Back