1.6K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 532     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Eddie Bauer

S

samsonyuen

Wow, I didn't even know that EB was closed. It's kinda sad to me, for some reason. I'm also surprised by the size of Holt's. Thought it was bigger. Does anyone know the sizes of the other stores? I've read Vancouver's Pacific Centre is doubling to 130k, and I would imagine Montreal's store isn't that far behind.

Dayle Parker, National Post
Published: Wednesday, January 25, 2006
Holt Renfrew is undertaking its second major renovation in two years at its flagship Yorkville store, further staking its claim on Toronto's high-end market.
Holts is taking over 16,000 square feet occupied since 1974 by Eddie Bauer's first Canadian store. It will expand accessories and cosmetics into the main floor of the former Eddie Bauer space this fall, said Janet Eger, spokeswoman for Holt Renfrew.
The 10,000-square-foot upper level, its use undecided, will be ready next year. The 121,000-square-foot store underwent a $33-million renovation two years ago.
Toronto retail analyst Richard Talbot said shuffling in the Canadian department store category in recent years has worked in Holt Renfrew's favour.
"By Eaton's going out and The Bay going down-market, it's left a bigger niche, a bigger slice of the pie for Holt Renfrew, and the independent retailers, the high-end retailers,'' said Richard Talbot, president of Talbot Consultants International.
Toronto's wealth and thriving tourist market mean it makes sense for Holts to focus on expanding its Bloor Street location, he said.
''What's really been happening as a result of the shift in the major department store category, is you've got people like Holt Renfrew being able to expand, and what I would call the 'premium brands' have the opportunity to open their own stores on Bloor Street, and it's really resulted in a revitalization," Mr. Talbot said. "I mean, 15 years ago it was a pretty miserable area."
This will be Holt Renfrew's second major expansion since Caryn Lerner took over the company's presidency in September, 2004.
The renovations will be created by Toronto-based designers burdifilek, whose earlier reno earned Holts the title of Store of the Year in 2004 from a retail fixtures association. The first overhaul added a men's area to the main floor, additional fitting rooms and a men's lounge.
''I always tell my retail customers, it's like restaurants, you've got to constantly redo it," Mr. Talbot said. "If you don't change the menu and you don't change the decor, people won't come back. If you get stuck in a time warp, then you'll be crushed to death, because there's always a better mousetrap out there.''
Holt Renfrew's Bloor Street store opened next door in 1979. The company traces its roots back to a hat shop that opened in Quebec City in 1837.
In March, Holts will bring in designer children's wear by Ralph Lauren, Diesel, Burberry, and Christian Dior, to seven of their nine Canadian stores. The remaining two stores, in Ottawa and Sherway Gardens in Etobicoke, will follow in the fall, Ms. Eger said.
"They're in the prime markets, they're just cherry-picking the prime demographics, and I think they'll continue to do well as the department stores continue to really move down more towards the Zellers-Wal-Mart end of the market," Mr. Talbot said.
Eddie Bauer closed on Jan. 8, and will pass the space to Holts next Wednesday.
"It was part of our regular review of our portfolio to ensure that we're in the best location to serve our customers and for our business," said Eddie Bauer spokeswoman Lisa Erickson.
Established in Seattle in 1920, Eddie Bauer opened its first Canadian retail store on July 15, 1974, at 50 Bloor St. W. There are 35 stores across Canada, including locations in the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale Mall.

Re: Holt Renfrew expansion into Eddie Bauer space

Not sure how accurate the GLA figures in the National Post story are for the HR store. The numbers I found are 165,615 sf for the Holt Renfrew store, and 16,000 sf for the Eddie Bauer store.

source: Morguard

"Regarding the Eddie Bauer on Bloor...Im not surprised it closed. The prices were often just a little more than Eaton Centre, just a few subway stops away. I don't think I'd ever seen anyone in that Bloor location. They had to be losing quite a bit of money."

I sometimes used the store's stairs to get down to the subway, same with the Gap at Bay & Bloor. I'm sure 3/4 of the people that entered Eddie Bauer did the same thing.

This may be old news, but the Eaton Centre Eddie Bauer is gone, with the hoarding announcing a new A&F store.

Another American Apparel. What's there now? Is it the arcade?

My sister says that the Eddie Bauer was having a relocation sale, so I guess they're moving somewhere smaller in the mall?

My sister says that the Eddie Bauer was having a relocation sale, so I guess they're moving somewhere smaller in the mall?

No signs up yet indicating where it might relocate. There are a few recently emptied stores in the mall, however, where the hoarding does not indicate the name of a future tenant, so there are a few potential locations (none of which are particularly large).

A sales clerk told me that it's going where Coles is now. I have no idea where the Coles is going, if it isn't simply closing.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/pamdan...shion-retailers-on-life-support/#7fd3837859ef

9 Fashion Retailers On Life Support

Eddie Bauer is soaking wet

Back in 2014 Eddie Bauer tried unsuccessfully to find a buyer, and now it is trying again, but has yet to find a taker for its brand of outdoor performance wear. With some 370 stores, it is flagging against competition from less debt-ridden competitors, including North Face, Patagonia, REI and L.L. Bean.

Fellow Forbes.com contributor Debra Borchardt identifies the root of Eddie Bauer’s problems as an identity crisis suffered back in 2009, when it shifted focus to the women’s lifestyle market. It has since gone back to its testosterone-infused roots, but a hangover remains with women accounting for a lion’s share of its customers as recently as the end of 2016.

I buy my jeans at Eddie Bauer since I can’t find 35” waist jeans elsewhere. As a young man in the late 1990s I used to buy a lot of my clothing from EB, including their great duck boots. I also bought two EB watches in the early 1990s and they still run great today.

Back