News   Jul 15, 2024
 76     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 343     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

East Markham Community Centre & Library (LEED Gold, 2s, Shore Tilbe Irwin)

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
The site for this project is adjacent to Markham-Stouffville Hospital.

All-in-all, I think this project is decent. It will be served by VIVA and co-locating with the hospital -- which is planning an expansion -- should make this area a fairly significant hub.

In terms of architecture, it's the usual mix of slanted columns and protruding boxes. I'd say it's above average, but it's certainly nothing to get too excited about.

lib1.jpg

lib2.jpg

lib3.jpg

lib5.jpg

lib6.jpg

lib7.jpg

LEED INITIATIVES

SITE
  • Reduction of Heat Island through reflective roof areas and covered parking
  • Use of Drought Resistant + Indigenous Planting
  • Rain Water Harvesting -Use of Roof Water for Irrigation and Flushing Toilets
  • 20% Reduction in Potable Water Use through High Efficiency Fixtures
ENERGY
  • Heating + Cooling by MDE
  • Energy Efficient Lighting + SMART Controls
  • Grey Water Heat Recovery
  • Building Envelope with Increased Energy Conservation
BUILDING
  • Recycled Content in Building Components
  • Low Emitting Adhesives, Sealants, Carpets, Paints + Coatings
  • Natural Day-lighting
  • Enhanced Thermal Comfort
  • Indoor ‘Living Wall’

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2008/Development%20Services/pl081028/East%20Markham%20-%20Schematic%20Design%20-%20Att%20A%20-%20%20Presentation%20-%20revised%202008-10-17.pdf

This is in the Cornell development and appears to break the strong brick and gables theme. I wonder if it adheres to DPZ's original plan.

Looks like your typical, modern, 905 community centre (similar to the Angus Glen community centre also in Markham).

Love the parking structure though. A while back on this forum we were writing about which is the "best parking garage" in Toronto. If built according to the rendering, that structure might well be a top contender.

This is in the Cornell development and appears to break the strong brick and gables theme. I wonder if it adheres to DPZ's original plan.

Ideally, I'd imagine, the DPZ schema would allow for stylistic variance and diversity--particularly when it comes to public/non-residential facilities--provided that it conforms within a reasonable planning parti.

Though the more zealous/reactionary New Urbanist adherents may not realize it...

This will now be known as the Cornell Community Centre and Library. I think it's looking pretty good!

b2a8c180.jpg

b631759f.jpg

4138401b.jpg

It was hard to get more photos since Markham Stouffville Hospital is expanding on one side and endless rows of cornell townhomes are being built on the other, so there are fences everywhere. A new fire station also opened nearby.

Back