News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 468     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

East Bayfront: Bayside (Waterfront Toronto/Hines/Tridel, Pelli Clark Pelli et al)

Hi, we're students from George Brown College, and doing a publication for Waterfornt Toronto, would it be ok if we use image #301 on one of our renderings? we would source and give proper credit if you provide us with your information.

Thank you in advance.

An item in the July 17 exec committee, about new purpose-built affordable housing at block R6 (Bayside):
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.EX36.28

upload_2018-7-11_9-42-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-11_9-42-10.png
    upload_2018-7-11_9-42-10.png
    493 KB · Views: 1,616
25K sqft is considered massive now, eh?

For comparison, Canoe Landing Community Centre is around 42k sqft.

Does anyone know how close the city likes to keep its community centres? I’m just a little concerned that the new facility might draw funds away from the St. Lawrence Community Center on esplanade. I think that with massing there would be good reason to keep them all, but in this city, in this day and age who knows.

Does anyone know how close the city likes to keep its community centres? I’m just a little concerned that the new facility might draw funds away from the St. Lawrence Community Center on esplanade. I think that with massing there would be good reason to keep them all, but in this city, in this day and age who knows.
There's been a public concern in recent months about yuppie gentrifiers of the east end and the wealthier homeowners of Riverdale and Leslieville "stealing" spots in community centre programs from lower-income local residents in Regent Park and St. Lawrence area.

Which to me sounds like a capacity-problem. So hopefully, there won't be a problem with too many community centres concentrated in the area.

There's been a public concern in recent months about yuppie gentrifiers of the east end and the wealthier homeowners of Riverdale and Leslieville "stealing" spots in community centre programs from lower-income local residents in Regent Park and St. Lawrence area.

Which to me sounds like a capacity-problem. So hopefully, there won't be a problem with too many community centres concentrated in the area.

The downtown is certainly under capacity in community recreation centres. As the population has soared in recent years there were new facilities in St. Jamestown; and replacement ones at Regent Park, but that's about it.

Medium term plans call for the facility at Canoe Landing, another facility in the west Harbourfront area for a pool, the new facility near the foot of Yonge, this one at Bayside, and at least one more.

Also contemplated are replacement facilities for Moss Park, University Settlement and Scadding Court.

The St. Lawrence facility will not close, unless a replacement is built (unlikely in the near term).

The problem at Regent Park is that its one of the nicest aquatic facilities in the City, it has maybe 3 somewhat comparable pools, excluding the 2 Olympic Pools (with those, about 5 others).

I offer that the City has something like 50 other pools that are varying degrees of substandard or at the least, not particularly enticing.

The City knows it needs to replace many aging facilities in order to spread demand around.

But that will take time.........and a lot of it. (not to mention money)

Back