News   Jul 16, 2024
 672     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 734     2 

East Bayfront: Bayside (Waterfront Toronto/Hines/Tridel, Pelli Clark Pelli et al)

All buildings rendered here are concept design only, not detail design yet.

Expect for 'Moshe Safdie's diagonally designed tower for Great Gulf ' correct? I thought that was a final.

In case you need any reminder, here's the site, or at least the site as it was in the spring:

EBayfrontAerialF.jpg

Here it is in its broader context:

EBayfrontContextPlanF.jpg

And here's the local plan:

EBayfrontPlanF.jpg

This rendering portrays Phase 1 of the project along the east side of Sherbourne Common in the summer, fall, and winter. (Imagine spring on your own.) Residential units will be built in the podium and mid-rise portions of the buildings pictured, with mostly retail and restaurant space at ground level. Note 'Bayside Hall', a climate controlled space between the two buildings which will provide public access from the Common through the block to Bonnycastle Street year round. It will be a place to escape the heat or the cold or the wet on extreme days, and will provide food service and convenience units for the public. Just outside of it is Sherbourne Common's Pavilion.

EBayfrontSherbCmnSummerF.jpg

EBayfrontSherbCmnFallF.jpg

EBayfrontSherbCmnWinterF.jpg

East of these buildings is Bonnycastle Street, the neighbourhood's Main Street. It will be "double loaded" - shops on both sides - and will make for the lively, public heart of the area.

EBayfrontBonnycastleSouthF.jpg

East of Bonnycastle Street, the next opening from the neighbourhood to the lake is at the quieter Aitken Place Park. The renderings below picture it in summer and fall:

EBayfrontEPromenadeSummerF.jpg

EBayfrontEPromenadeFallF.jpg

That's it for now. More coming later...

Do check out the video mentioned above here. Once it goes up on YouTube we will link it directly.

All renderings courtesy of Hines.

Last edited:
Expect for 'Moshe Safdie's diagonally designed tower for Great Gulf ' correct? I thought that was a final.

Sorry - I should say all buildings in the 4-hectare East Bayfront project that Hines is developing are in the concept design stage only.

Hmm...that's what I feared. Once again there really doesn't seem to be much actually along the water. There's one single restaurant--a Jack Astor's or tourist trap, no doubt--and then just a random day care and health club, of all things. I'm not sure what "Cultural Use" actually means.

From the looks of it, once again...pretty architecture, shitty planning.

This looks great and the small streets winding through look very comfortable for the pedestrian. Bonnycastle looks like it could be a real destination, with its connection to Sherbourne Common via Bayside Hall.

The minor miscue I see is the name, although I don't have another alternative. As a child of the late 80s/early 90s, the name "Bayside" unfortunately reminds me of this:

Saved_By_the_Bell_Title_Card.jpg

Go Tigers.

I'm not sure what "Cultural Use" actually means.

At the press conference 'cultural use' was described as 'possibly a library'. They really want the east half of the development to be neighbourhood oriented.

One feature that we have not described yet is a ramp proceeding up the lake front of the low slung building that starts at Bonnycastle and which will rise to an overlook at the east end of the building towards Aitken Place. The top of the ramp will likely feature a restaurant, and it and the ramp will provide a view through the trees to the Harbour.

Hmm...that's what I feared. Once again there really doesn't seem to be much actually along the water. There's one single restaurant--a Jack Astor's or tourist trap, no doubt--and then just a random day care and health club, of all things. I'm not sure what "Cultural Use" actually means.

From the looks of it, once again...pretty architecture, shitty planning.

It looks pretty nice, but you're right. Where are the cafés? Europeans jam 20 cafés/food stands into every public space, and we can't get 1 or 2.

I agree that it appears that we could use more commercial space facing the water, but overall, I am pleased with how this is progressing. With the architects involved, I think we are in very good hands (and they should provide Toronto with exceptional and relatively unique designs).

No entertainment, cultural or tourist attractions? It doesn't sound like much fun. It's kinda like a shorter City Place with a waterfront. It's not very downtownish. I guess my hopes for a museum, a theatre, cinema or major attraction, are dashed. I don't see much reason to go here, since Harbourfront is close by and has much more to keep me busy. Maybe Corus will have some entertainment for the public. (I hope)

I completely disagree with some of the comments above ... there's quite a bit of retail, I doubt anyone can deny that.

I do understand the concern though ... not much retail on the waterfront ... I just don't share it : )

If anything, the areas that need help attracting people are exactly where retail is going according the site plan - the waterfront will shine on its own ... think of the central waterfront, there's not much there in terms of retail but its plenty busy .. Queens Quay, not so much ...

And regarding the cultural use ... honestly, give me a break, this is one small component of the entire waterfront plan, does every small parcel have to a grand and magnificent cultural components ... no!
Not downtown like?? umm, most neighborhoods downtown have very little in the way have cultural components.

If your argument is you want this parcel of land to be a destination on it's own ... I can by that, and it's a valid point.

Last edited:
No entertainment, cultural or tourist attractions? It doesn't sound like much fun. It's kinda like a shorter City Place with a waterfront. It's not very downtownish. I guess my hopes for a museum, a theatre, cinema or major attraction, are dashed. I don't see much reason to go here, since Harbourfront is close by and has much more to keep me busy. Maybe Corus will have some entertainment for the public. (I hope)

I must agree. I would like to see some entertainment/cultural venues part of this massive redevelopment (dare I suggest something like Woodbine Live).

I think most people go down to the waterfront simply to be by the water - it's relaxing. You don't need much to take care of them. Transit close by, public washrooms, a few places to buy refreshments and the odd busker.

Back