News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 750     0 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

Here are the first pictures of 6138 and 6141 from CPTDB. Does anyone know if this is the final paint job or are they going to do more on-site?

IMG_4328-ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg-converter.jpg

Some updates in the executive committee agenda are up. Aside from the usual capacity issues (not enough service) and on time performance issues (traffic), there are a few noteworthy items.

First, it's official starting Jun 24, the City of Pickering is partering to provide service to the waterfront only weekends/holidays free of charge. Here are all the upcoming changes:
Screenshot_20240531_090757_com.microsoft.emmx~2.jpg

Second, I don't think I've seen it posted here before... here is the plan for the service increase slated for the fall:
Screenshot_20240531_090935_com.microsoft.emmx~2.jpg

I'll be most interested to see the service hours deployment (last bullet above).

I'm also not sure what the (Pickering) waterfront service will look like. I'm not sure why it is free, and if it will serve all stops in between those locations or act as a shuttle (which I suspect may be the case).

Some updates in the executive committee agenda are up. Aside from the usual capacity issues (not enough service) and on time performance issues (traffic), there are a few noteworthy items.

First, it's official starting Jun 24, the City of Pickering is partering to provide service to the waterfront only weekends/holidays free of charge. Here are all the upcoming changes:
View attachment 568224

Second, I don't think I've seen it posted here before... here is the plan for the service increase slated for the fall:
View attachment 568228

I'll be most interested to see the service hours deployment (last bullet above).

For me, I'd really like to see a focus on 15M service.

Every arterial route with even a whisp of demand should be 15M in peak minimum, 30M minimum at all other times.

But every major route with decent volumes should be 15M off peak from 6am-10:30pm weekdays, and 8am-10:30pm weekends.

I know we won't see that all at once, but I'd like to see tangible progress.

For me, I'd really like to see a focus on 15M service.

Every arterial route with even a whisp of demand should be 15M in peak minimum, 30M minimum at all other times.

But every major route with decent volumes should be 15M off peak from 6am-10:30pm weekdays, and 8am-10:30pm weekends.

I know we won't see that all at once, but I'd like to see tangible progress.
Agreed, there is more money needed to achieve...

Another interesting couple of graphs I came across in the agenda shows the lack of funding (I wonder why they dont have update numbers given their push for more money lately...)
Screenshot_20240531_093717.jpg

They claim large service area + low density are also factors (using graph below as illustration to compare), but I'm not sure that is fair. We should probably only focus on (comparing) urban environments.
Screenshot_20240531_093728.jpg

Edit: I'd like to see the breakout of rural v urban costs...

View attachment 568224

View attachment 568228

I'm also not sure what the (Pickering) waterfront service will look like. I'm not sure why it is free, and if it will serve all stops in between those locations or act as a shuttle (which I suspect may be the case).
I’m surprised there’s no mention of restoring all the local service that was cut in Pickering this past January. There was quite an uproar over that. I’m hoping they’ll be enough funding come 2025 to get more service on packed routes (i.e. the 905/920)

I’m surprised there’s no mention of restoring all the local service that was cut in Pickering this past January. There was quite an uproar over that. I’m hoping they’ll be enough funding come 2025 to get more service on packed routes (i.e. the 905/920)
They are planning a new route from Pickering Parkway Terminal to Seaton via Whites Rd. Depending on the routing it may provide more local coverage where it was lost in January.

View attachment 568224

View attachment 568228

With the Pickering waterfront service (route 100), it's intended that people park their cars at Pickering GO and take the bus down to the waterfront. The schedule directly shows that parking is available at the Pickering Parkway Terminal/Pickering GO.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 at 15-24-21 Route 101 - 100_2024.6.pdf.png

Agreed, there is more money needed to achieve...

Another interesting couple of graphs I came across in the agenda shows the lack of funding (I wonder why they dont have update numbers given their push for more money lately...)
View attachment 568232
Honestly I'm surprised that DRT has (or at least had) such a low RC ratio, even lower than an agency like Peterborough Transit which is (at least in my opinion) way worse in terms of quality of service than DRT. However, it's not that surprising though with how DRT runs. I guess Peterborough Transit is that high since there are 2 major post-secondary schools in a single mid-sized city, while DRT serves 5 super car-dependent suburban municipalities + 3 very rural municipalities.

Back