News   Apr 15, 2024
 982     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 655     0 

Durham Region Transit / Pulse

Come September, she'll start to complain about the noisy and loud school buses picking up and dropping off noisy and loud students in her area as well.

But then, she might end up driving a school bus, if she wants to do something else to occupy her time other than complaining about the bus noise.

What about the loud, noisy, and messy seagulls?

They talked about this topic on CFRB 1010 in the 2:00 - 2:30 slot. CFRB has been traditionally one of the most conservative radio stations in the city.

None of the callers and the host didn't agree with her position.

In addition, a DRT driver who does that route called in to confirm that the route is well used (by DRT standards).

Honestly, I am surprised these sort of protests don't happen more often, especially in Oakville, or South Mississauga.... If this couple is able cancel this 30 minute rush hour only bus route, imagine the reprecutions for the rest of the GTA, which has much more bus service than just 30 minutes rush hour only...

Not 92

I honestly thought at the outset I was reading about the 92 Woodbine South or another Toronto route of that ilk.

Honestly, I am surprised these sort of protests don't happen more often, especially in Oakville, or South Mississauga....
Why is those particular areas? I've always heard of more problems complaints coming out of the newer subdivisions north of Eglinton and in Northern-ish Brampton. Mind you, Southern Mississauga gets screwed over greatly in the transit department (possible exception being Lakeshore West Line).

But I think the fact she's in an article all alone about this topic just goes to show how much of a lone voice she is on this. Hell- her husband didn't even show up for the photo-op.

let's all chip in to rent a bus for a day, then find some where by the lake, so we can take in the view again, and again, and again, and again...

Trolling IRL!
Holy shit. Please, please, for the love of god, someone make this happen. Also, take pictures. It will go down in forum history. Thank you.

Why is those particular areas?

In my experience, I've found that upscale areas tend to oppose transit because they believe it will bring an unwanted element into their communities. Some of the excuses I've heard include homeless people and criminals riding the bus into the community, and people trying to cash in on the transit service by building illegal basement apartments. Planners often avoid proposing service to these areas because they know there will be a backlash - and I'm sure no one in any profession wants to poke a bear.

In addition, people who live in upscale neighbourhoods have the disposable income to continue driving even in the face of rising gas prices, road tolls and other disincentives. Many places have pent up demand for transit, but still see no service. In the case of south Mississauga and Oakville, there isn't even pent up demand.

I've never heard of residents of Mississauga Rd. complain about the Mississauga Rd. bus....or all the Holy Name of Mary buses.

I can't believe this is making news. When I was a kid in Mississauga a petition by neighbourhood residents had a MT route re-routed so it no longer went down a couple streets and I don't remember it making news. It wasn't the end of the world either. It just meant we had to, god-forbid, walk another 4-5 minutes to get to the bus.

I've never heard of residents of Mississauga Rd. complain about the Mississauga Rd. bus....or all the Holy Name of Mary buses.

The wrong side of the road.

Try this south of Dundas as in the past and you will find picketers and blocking the path of the bus.

Why do think the MT24 didn't go south from Burnhamthorpe.

Transit is the easy thing people can go after since the city has more control of it than traffic itself. Councilors & Mayors can get the boot if they are too pro-transit in a car city.

Try this south of Dundas as in the past and you will find picketers and blocking the path of the bus.
Never been any problems with the 8 in the 18 years I've been taking it. Sure- not the heart of the real "Mississauga Road" but still pretty high up there. The only time I remember a Mississauga bus blocked by a picket was the go ol' 26s out in TO, but I don't think that is a particularly rich neighborhood.

Hey, those buses can be noisy - especially heading up a hill away from the lake. That's why I wish they'd replace the Coxwell bus with a streetcar instead.

Perhaps Durham could do this to that route, to reduce noise, and make her happy. Hopefully she isn't too close to a curve. :)

In my experience, I've found that upscale areas tend to oppose transit because they believe it will bring an unwanted element into their communities. Some of the excuses I've heard include homeless people and criminals riding the bus into the community, and people trying to cash in on the transit service by building illegal basement apartments. Planners often avoid proposing service to these areas because they know there will be a backlash - and I'm sure no one in any profession wants to poke a bear.

In addition, people who live in upscale neighbourhoods have the disposable income to continue driving even in the face of rising gas prices, road tolls and other disincentives. Many places have pent up demand for transit, but still see no service. In the case of south Mississauga and Oakville, there isn't even pent up demand.

The 33 Forest Hill bus operates rush hour and midday, Monday to Friday only, also every 30 minutes. The only difference is that the 33 Forest Hill operates midday, while the 222 Audley South operates rush hours only. However, I think the people in Forest Hill are more upscale than those in the Ajax subdivision. I haven't heard a request for less service from the Forest Hill people.

Back