News   Jul 23, 2024
 436     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 506     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Dundas Sq. out of sync with surroundings...

Turkish food is not that much different than Greek food..... there all the same people anyways....

There use to be a Turkish restaurant around the corner from me in London England -- and a large amount food was the same as what I could get in a Greek restaurant.

Although they speak different languages, they have been part of the same country (before separation) for hundreds of years (1393 - 1829). Therefore it is not surprising that culturally the Greeks and Turks are not that far apart.

Of course they have much shared culture and history. But there is also much that is different: you know, little things like religion (with Turkey being predominantly Muslim and Greeks being predominately Greek Orthodox Christians) and language. 1829 was a heckuva a long time ago and there's been much divergence since. I dare you to visit my ex's Greek father and tell him that Greece and Turkey are the same thing. I'll start dialing 9-1-1 right now.

Regardless, a similar history or cuisine shouldn't take away the Turkish folks right to celebrate their own country. How would you feel if someone suggested that Canada Day should be eliminated and we should just celebrate 4th of July because Canadians and Americans are "all the same people anyway"? I'm not trying to be rude but I still think it's a foolish generalization to make about any two nations, and unrelated to whether or not Dundas Square should have been used for celebrating Caribana this weekend.

The Turkish festival was quite well done. It had the imprint of government sponsorship on it; very slick. When I went back yesterday - Monday - they had already packed it in.

How would you feel if someone suggested that Canada Day should be eliminated and we should just celebrate 4th of July because Canadians and Americans are "all the same people anyway"?

Judging by his avitar I would suggest he may be ok with the combination of July 1st and 4th!

If anything I think the coordination of Caribana, a mexican festival and a Turkish festival would promote more of what Toronto is known for. Multiculturalism and our ability to get along with each other.

not sure why some posters are disagreeing with you, but yes it makes perfect sense. I'm sure many tourists who were here FOR caribana were in and around dundas square and would have much preferred to see something they came to see (ie carribean culture)

If they were in Dundas Square, then they weren't here for Caribana. If they were visiting Toronto only because of Caribana, and wanted to see Dundas Square, then the programming at the Square isn't what they came to see... its the square itself. Might as well use that opportunity to showcase what else T.O has to offer.

Tried to search for appropriate thread to update some news on the square. This is the best I could find.
Anyways got a newsletter from my Councillor and read they are putting up a green wall on Victoria St side. I think anything is better then whats there now.

img1153xv.jpg

Already? The east side of the square sucks, but it surprises me to see something so new getting a facelift

Yeah, it's a green wall for CityTV so that they can change the backgrounds to something more interesting when they're shooting at ground level. With a bit of creativity they might even be able to eliminate the need for roaming videographers. They should all be able to line up along Victoria and take turns shooting their pieces, subbing in stock footage of Malvern and Jane/Finch and such. They might even be able to do away with international correspondents.

ha ha!

I'm mainly in agreement with the point of cacruden in this thread. I know before that one time that I came into the city early for Caribanna, I thought I would go to Dundas Sq. first to get a bit of a warm up for the festival only to find that it was just the usual weekend vendors. I really liked a few years ago when Luminato used Dundas Sq as the focal point / central location for that festival. I'm not sure if they've continued that approach in the years since... but that really made sense to me. People who were less aware of the festival got a taste for it and could get programs and info for the various other related events or just hang out and watch the entertainment that was provided in the Square. It just seems like a smart marketing approach for top line festivals to use the Square as a home base... as pointed out, that is down to the organizers and not the City to take advantage of, but perhaps it is worth looking at promoting this more as a standard practice.

Last edited:
When they say increasing the "capacity of the square" does this mean removing elements to fit more people? They can moderately cut the size of the stage but not cut it entirely as it's the parking garage entrance.

The green wall is a great idea to improve the look and feel of that side of the square that's always been the ass end. I recall that Rogers was in talks with the city to improve that side of the square. I like the idea of the green wall.

My biggest hope is that they get rid of that horrendous crane like stage canopy support.

When they say increasing the "capacity of the square" does this mean removing elements to fit more people? They can moderately cut the size of the stage but not cut it entirely as it's the parking garage entrance.

The green wall is a great idea to improve the look and feel of that side of the square that's always been the ass end. I recall that Rogers was in talks with the city to improve that side of the square. I like the idea of the green wall.

My biggest hope is that they get rid of that horrendous crane like stage canopy support.

Wuat's a green wall ? Like a wall painted green ? :)

On what wall on the east end of the square do they propose this green wall? The only structure on the east side of the square is CityTv. This makes no sense.

Yes I know, I was kidding.

I just mean someone mentioned it was for rogers - I think generally a well painted green would fit better then plants - though those can work as well I supose.

Back