News   Aug 29, 2024
 140     0 
News   Aug 29, 2024
 236     0 
News   Aug 28, 2024
 991     0 

Dufferin Street: Eliminating the jog

Going to a lot of confusion for the next week or so until riders get use to not catching the 29 at Gladstone and Queen or not having the streetcar not stop there to discharge and pickup riders since it will be done at Dufferin now.

Westbound Driver are going to have to deal with riders getting on/off at Dufferin now since TTC stop the practices decades ago.

People who like me shop at Price Choppers will have to walk to/from Dufferin to get to it. That will be short live as Chopper has sold the land for redevelopment and could see closure in 2011.

How much time is this underpass going to save for the 29 bus route? Did they time the old route on how much this jog added to the #29 bus route's travel time? Whatever it is, I am glad it is done, I hope the city grade seperates more of GO rail lines from regular traffic- I read in the Globe and Mail that this project came in on budget at $40 million- it just went over the scheduled time frame for this project.

How much time is this underpass going to save for the 29 bus route? Did they time the old route on how much this jog added to the #29 bus route's travel time? Whatever it is, I am glad it is done, I hope the city grade seperates more of GO rail lines from regular traffic- I read in the Globe and Mail that this project came in on budget at $40 million- it just went over the scheduled time frame for this project.

The 29 will see a saving of 1-3 minutes depending on the time of day.

The 501 will see saving of about 1-2 minutes.

Living in the area for decades i just dont believe the 1 minute crap, ( 2 traffic lights ) and traffic take much longer than that...more like 3 minutes north-bound and 3-5 minutes south-bound depending on the time of the day.

Why was the Dufferin jog originally done instead of putting in an underpass a century ago?

Dufferin Street was just an ordinary narrow street. Not a major street. In fact, even by 1959, the Dufferin bus didn't even go south of Eglinton Avenue West. Why put in the expense of an underpass on such a minor street as Dufferin Street (at the time).

guide19590501.jpg

Dufferin Street itself wasn't widened until after 1949.

s0372_ss0058_it1878.jpg

s0372_ss0058_it2132.jpg

To make room for the car, the residents on Dufferin Street lost their front yards.

Very interesting map and photos. It's hard to believe one of the busiest bus routes in the city didn't even exist 50 years ago. Amazing how travel patterns can change so drastically.

Is the Pape Avenue jog (Pape/Langley/Carlaw/Gerrard) the next railroad barrier to be tackled? Though unlike Dufferin Street, the traffic off Pape Avenue continues south on Carlaw Avenue, past Gerrard Street East.

Is the Pape Avenue jog (Pape/Langley/Carlaw/Gerrard) the next railroad barrier to be tackled? Though unlike Dufferin Street, the traffic off Pape Avenue continues south on Carlaw Avenue, past Gerrard Street East.

Much as I'd like to see the traffic stay on Pape, it makes no sense south of the tracks, where Pape is a leafy neighbourhood street and Carlaw has the warehouses/condos. No need to change this jog.

From the Globe and Mail

Eliminating the Dufferin Jog: ‘Gravy’ – or good planning?
KELLY GRANT
CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF— From Thursday's Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, Nov. 17, 2010 11:31PM EST
Last updated Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010 6:26AM EST

It’s Toronto's largest non-transit infrastructure project in the past few years, and one the city has been waiting for since the 19th Century.

A new 70-metre tunnel connecting Dufferin Street beneath the rail bridge at Queen Street officially opens at 3 p.m. on Thursday, freeing motorists and some 40,000 weekday bus passengers from the despised “Dufferin Jog” down Peel and Gladstone avenues.

But David Miller’s government opted to go beyond erasing the jog: It built an amphitheatre on the north side of Queen Street west of Dufferin Street, installed new light standards and replaced chain link with decorative fencing. Plantings, attractive metal cladding and underpass murals will be installed next spring.

“Instead of a typical dreary infrastructure project, we turned it into an exercise in place-making,” said Gord Perks, the councillor for Ward 14 Parkdale-High Park. “Some might call it gravy. I say not.”

Although the project came in on budget, remaking the gateway to Parkdale is the kind of optional undertaking that might not fly under Rob Ford, the new mayor Torontonians picked for his low-budget, back-to-basics philosophy. Just up the road from the new underpass, for example, Dufferin is a scarred and pitted mess.

It’s difficult to predict whether the Ford administration would put filling such potholes ahead of the artistic touches on the new Dufferin underpass.

Mr. Ford set aside up to $400-million for “fixing disjointed” streets in his transportation plan, but he has also vowed to axe the vehicle-registration and land-transfer taxes whose revenues help pay for such projects.

As well, Councillor Mike Del Grande – a Ford supporter rumoured to be in line for a senior post, possibly budget chief – tried during council’s capital budget debate in December 2008 to kill the Dufferin Jog elimination and direct the money elsewhere. The speaker ruled his motion out of order because the project was already approved and under way.

Neither Mr. Ford nor Councillor Case Ootes, the head of his transition team, would comment.

Unlike some other high-profile city construction projects, the Dufferin Jog elimination was completed within its $40-million budget, according to Jim Schaffner, a city engineer and the project manager.

That breaks down to $8-million for property acquisition, $6-million for work on the rail corridor and $26-million for constructing the underpass.

However, the project, which began in December 2008, is far from on time. “We should have been finished in January of this year,” Mr. Schaffner said. “As you can tell, we’re obviously quite a bit behind.”

Mr. Schaffner blamed the delay on the discovery of a previously unknown fibre-optic cable and the tougher-than-expected replacement of the frame that carries the rail bridge, which was lifted and put on a temporary trestle.

Shifting the bridge so trains could keep running for most of the construction period was a delicate engineering job. Re-installing it was “almost like building a Swiss watch,” Mr. Schaffner said.

The traffic clot at Dufferin and Queen thickened during construction, but the obstruction didn’t prompt an outcry from business owners.

Robert Sysak, the administrator of the West Queen West Business Improvement Area, said none of his member businesses approached him with complaints about the construction. Most were just eager to see artery cleared.

The general manager of the nearby Gladstone Hotel agreed.

“We’re really excited,” Alec Badley said. “The big thing we really want to see once this is done is the redevelopment of Gladstone Avenue.”

Right now, Peel and Gladstone avenues are run-down streets choked with traffic, including some 31 buses arriving every three minutes on weekdays on the TTC’s fifth-busiest bus route.

Now that buses and cars will be able to use the tunnel, the plan is to narrow Gladstone to a landscaped, pedestrian-friendly one-way street north of the Price Chopper, according to outgoing Councillor Adam Giambrone, who represents the area north of Queen Street until Nov. 30.

“It took six years of concerted work and it’s a project that’s been on the books for 125 years so it feels pretty good to finally see it opening,” he said.

Holy shit, are we going to be talking about "Gravy Train" for the next 4 or 8 years?? I can't even look at real gravy anymore without seeing Rob Ford...

As much as I'd rather not walk up that silly pedestrian crossing with the hugely long ramps (couldn't they have put in some stairs as well?), I doubt this will ever happen.

It would actually make traffic worse on Gerrard, as Pape is only a minor residential street south of Gerrard; the main streets are Carlaw just to the west, and Jones to the East. As the Pape Jog already uses Carlaw it diverts traffic that would be turning onto Gerrard to get from Carlaw to Pape.

A more likely scenario may simply be joining Carlaw to Pape south of Langley and north of the CNR. Perhaps right through the No Thrills.

2 reason why the dufferin jog exist.

Until the railway came along that area was a swamp.

In the 1880's, both King and Queen Street were seeing 250 trains a day crossing them that lead to the grade seperation.

Construction for Queen got under way in 1885 and was completed in 1886 at a cost of $20,000 back then. At the time, the Town of Parkdale and the City of Toronto did not see Dufferin going north of Queen as a major road and why the road underpass was not built then. Also, Dufferin Street was the City Limits of Toronto at the time.

Construction on King Street started in 1886 at a cost of $15,500.

If you want to look at disjointed streets to be connected, Lansdowne and Jameson and it will only cost a few million.

Living in the area for decades i just dont believe the 1 minute crap, ( 2 traffic lights ) and traffic take much longer than that...more like 3 minutes north-bound and 3-5 minutes south-bound depending on the time of the day.

I'm using information from TTC and the City and agree it too short.

Keep in mind that the Pape "jog" only dates from the 1970s; I believe some level-crossing fatality led the city to close the crossing and lead through traffic down Carlaw (which, lest we forget, was "industrial" south of Gerrard; so it could handle the traffic input)

Back