News   Apr 25, 2024
 324     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Downtown Yonge

I will be glad when she's out of office. Coun. Kristyn Wong-Tam wants buskers, street performers banned from Yonge and Dundas http://www.citynews.ca/2016/04/28/c...reet-performers-banned-from-yonge-and-dundas/

I'm editing my post due to a sudden change of perspective.

Although many of these people add to the congestion in the area, they also provide vitality and excitement to the area. The overall result might even be a draw for some people. Banning such activity could sterilize the area.

Last edited:
The blue meanies always have to stamp out all spontaneity, colour, unpredictability and fun. Wouldn't want anyone to be offended, ever!!!

My bet is that she gets complaints about religious fanatics ranting and raving on on the street corner... but you know what? We live in a free society. This is what living in a free society means. Let them rant and rave so everyone can see up close how ridiculous they are.

She's a very effective local councillor, and I am glad she's my councillor. Though that doesn't excuse the unnecessarily broad ban she wants for this corner.

Agreed on both points. Wong-Tam is one of the best councillors but I don't understand why clamping down at Y&D is a priority.

So, I heard on the radio this morning that the motion lost. They played a snippet of an interview with Tory where he essentially said that Council should not be prohibiting the lively street life that draws people to Yonge and Dundas. I'm glad it was defeated - while Wong-Tam's underlying issues were valid ones (pedestrian safety), the motion seemed wrongheaded heavyhanded and unnecessary.

Last edited:
So, I heard on the radio this morning that the motion lost. They played a snippet of an interview with Tory where he essentially said that Council should not be prohibiting the lively street life that draws people to Yonge and Dundas. I'm glad it was defeated - while Wong-Tam's underlying issues were valid ones (pedestrian safety), the motion seemed wrongheaded and unnecessary.

To be perfectly honest, more people are drawn by the sheer concentration of trip generators/attractions/businesses in the area more than the "street life" per se, much less the annoying proselytizers on amp.

AoD

So, I heard on the radio this morning that the motion lost. They played a snippet of an interview with Tory where he essentially said that Council should not be prohibiting the lively street life that draws people to Yonge and Dundas. I'm glad it was defeated - while Wong-Tam's underlying issues were valid ones (pedestrian safety), the motion seemed wrongheaded heavyhanded and unnecessary.
I am so glad to hear that. I love the lively, eccentric nature of Dundas Square and I'd hate to see a ban on street entertainers. Sure, some of the weirdos there can be a pain in the ass (I'm talking about the religion pushers/instigators) but they are just part and parcel of the crazy vibe. I do not want to see this city become as generic as the Eaton Centre. I'm surprised that someone like Wong-Tam would want to remove buskers and the eccentrics from the city. I would hope that a queer person would appreciate a little eccentricity and non-conformity on our vibrant, crazy streets.

What's next, banning the Trans March?

The stretch of Yonge between Edward and Gerrard seems ripe for redevelopment. I kind of like it as is, but given what's happening across the street, I imagine it's next. Do we have any info on this? Has any of the land been assembled?

(I assume the McDonalds is there to stay considering it's supposed to be a flagship location.)

Last edited:
I saw a tweet on urbantoronto the other day in the sidebar about a redevelopment proposal at the northeast corner of Yonge and Carlton. I havent heard anything since and the google had nithing. Has anyone heard any whispers about a proposal here?

I saw a tweet on urbantoronto the other day in the sidebar about a redevelopment proposal at the northeast corner of Yonge and Carlton. I havent heard anything since and the google had nithing. Has anyone heard any whispers about a proposal here?

There is a thread in buildings. Look for 2 Carlton.

When are they going to re do yonge st. It's an eyesore. They keep dragging their feet. Make it look grand already. Widen the sidewalks and plant trees. That's it.....

Musical mural at 423 Yonge.

20161029_195008-768x1024.jpg

Attachments

• 20161029_195008-768x1024.jpg
    20161029_195008-768x1024.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 666

Back