News   Jul 22, 2024
 565     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 624     0 

Downtown-Wide 'Transportation Study' Planned by City

I would like to see a very simple fare system (enabled by smart payment systems as are being implemented) -- fare by distance. You are charged a flat rate per tenth of kilometre, according to the distance between entrance and exit points. No zones, no time-based rules, no type-of-vehicle distinctions. This would incent people to use transit efficiently, and incent the system to provide the most efficient means for moving people around.

(Obviously, if you didn't tap on and off, then you would be charged full fare, perhaps with a penalty.)
I agree 100%

There are definitely problems with parking structures; but as a solution to street parking, they're worth looking at.

Actually according to many urban planners street parking is actually a good thing. It calms a street and creates a natural barrier between traffic and pedestrians. People will tend to walk on the side of the street with street parking for this reason if it's only down one street. Street parking is good not bad.

Actually according to many urban planners street parking is actually a good thing. It calms a street and creates a natural barrier between traffic and pedestrians. People will tend to walk on the side of the street with street parking for this reason if it's only down one street. Street parking is good not bad.

But these same effects can be achieved through wider sidewalks, sidewalk bulb-outs, and dedicated (separated) bicycle lanes. The concept you are referring to when it comes to vehicular movements is called friction. Street parking is one way to create friction, but it is far from the only way.

As a planner, I can certainly see the rationale behind creating friction on streets. However, I disagree that street parking is the most effective way of achieving this, especially when you are considering street aesthetics.

Back