News   Mar 28, 2024
 610     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 372     0 

Downtown Vaughan (VMC)

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
I searched around for a dedicated neighbourhood thread for Vaughan Metropolitan Centre (VMC) also known as downtown Vaughan. But was surprised that a dedicated thread hasn't been created yet, so here it is.

As of yesterday, I've counted around 5-6 cranes that have been erected in the area since the subway opened. It looks like many projects in the area were purposely timed to start when the subway opened. Definitely a lot of activity happening now that the subway is up and running. Much more pedestrian life than it has ever been and quite a few people living at the Expo City condos who walk to and from the subway.

went up and checked out the area a bit yesterday, actually. Transit City has started, but no crane yet. The Met is pouring its first floor, and Expo 3+4 have their cranes up. Couldn't quite tell what was going on with Cosmos, whether it was under construction or not. The PwC building is close to topping off by the looks of it.

And yes, definitely people walking too and from Expo City. I expect steady subway ridership once all the units get built out currently under construction. It's an interesting fledgling neighbourhood, looking forward to what it turns into 5 years from now.

went up and checked out the area a bit yesterday, actually. Transit City has started, but no crane yet. The Met is pouring its first floor, and Expo 3+4 have their cranes up. Couldn't quite tell what was going on with Cosmos, whether it was under construction or not. The PwC building is close to topping off by the looks of it.

And yes, definitely people walking too and from Expo City. I expect steady subway ridership once all the units get built out currently under construction. It's an interesting fledgling neighbourhood, looking forward to what it turns into 5 years from now.

I'm hesitant to say this as I don't have actual data to back this up, but based off of in person observation there seems to be more pedestrian activity here than say in Downtown Markham which has much more residential units built up (looking at the main street of Downtown Markham and where Viva runs)

No, Downtown Markham is busier. Markham actually has a significant commercial precense though which drives that - VMC just has a few condos.

Of course the big difference is that Markham is still entirely auto reliant, VMC at least has the subway.

No, Downtown Markham is busier. Markham actually has a significant commercial precense though which drives that - VMC just has a few condos.

Of course the big difference is that Markham is still entirely auto reliant, VMC at least has the subway.

It is ironic that Downtown Markham did not receive priority over the VMC when it came to expanding TTC subway beyond Toronto's boundaries into York Region.

This has been posted elsewhere on the forum.

The big story in this area right now is that Smart Centres is looking to have the Walmart moved. Freeing up the land for development suitable for the area.

Walmart would move to the location that currently houses Smart Centres head office. Smart Centres would move it's head office to the Future Shop building.

I know this was discussed a bit in the Vaughan Civic Centre Resource Library thread, but would Vaughan have put their City Hall in VMC instead if the subway was planned earlier? Most definitely, but it's just unfortunate that the construction of the City Hall came before the announcement of the subway extension's extension from Steeles to Highway 7.

There is no easy subway to extend to Downtown Markham..
Unionville GO is basically Downtown Markham's equivalent of the subway.
**cough** Relief Line North North **cough**

I never made the connection between Louis Vuitton and VMC (KPMG) via Claude Comier until now. Damier Azur Canvas.

http://www.claudecormier.com/projet/vaughan-metropolitain-centre-vmckpmg-block/

vmc-kpmg-block-7-.jpg
vmc-kpmg-block-8.jpg

Last edited:
How much would it cost for VMC to have a "world class" underground pedestrian tunnel system like Toronto's PATH, but much more grid-like and "complete coverage". And would it be the more cost effective to plan this before the buildings, roads, and utilities go in?

I am from Vaughan and I am pleased by what they have proposed. but my question is how do they intend to get all this land? Currently there are a ton of industrial and commercial buildings surrounding the VMC Subway Station.
Nope. The only thing in the way to complete that park is the south part of the Lowe's building and parking lot. SmartCentres will work with Lowes to relocate.

yup, the land will be given to the city as a part of parkland dedication for surrounding development. The area surrounding the central park is all owned by smart-centres, so they will construct the park as it is developed.

they are already looking at moving Wal-Mart, Lowes probably isn't far behind.

Back