News   Apr 25, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 517     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 761     0 

Downtown Projects Summary from the Post

How many units is this in total?
I took a few minutes to add them up and got 29,172. And I didn't count hotel rooms or commercial space.

I hope Adam Giambrone sees that map, and begins to wonder why the TTC has no plans to improve rapid transit south of Bloor.
Close to 30,000 units underway or recently completed downtown and zero rapid transit planned. Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

What's amazing is the number of parking lots that still haven't been built on. Not to mention all the vacant land in the West Don Lands and East Bayfront.

Edit - well turns out I wasted my time - I should have just clicked the link! 37,355 condo units in the list. Either they include hotel rooms or I missed a lot.

Pretty good compilation job but it definitely has its issues. The biggest is probably the absence of a major Yorkville development set to begin construction very soon.

The map is a pretty impressive achievement, and fairly well researched, even though a few inaccuracies are evident (Churchill Park condos somewhere down in Chinatown?)

There has been more and more discussion recently about how and what will end the condo boom. Allabootmatt raises a very pertinent point: the downtown is densifying more and more, and not all of these people will be able to walk to work. All very well to run streetcars for miles through the suburbs, but sooner or later transit in the downtown core will have to be seriously upgraded, or development will be impacted.

Allabootmatt raises a very pertinent point: the downtown is densifying more and more, and not all of these people will be able to walk to work. All very well to run streetcars for miles through the suburbs, but sooner or later transit in the downtown core will have to be seriously upgraded, or development will be impacted.

Just drank a whole lot of 25 year old Scotch but I wonder if investing millions into a bike sharing program may work better for the downtown area than billions into transit. (now I wonder if miketoronto has an affinity towards the bottle)

Just drank a whole lot of 25 year old Scotch but I wonder if investing millions into a bike sharing program may work better for the downtown area than billions into transit. (now I wonder if miketoronto has an affinity towards the bottle)

How about both; transit and dedicated bike lanes. The City need not invest a dollar into bikes, those with the motivation will buy their own bicycle and quickly realize what a great alternative it is in the spring, summer and fall months.

Not to sounds pessimistic or anything, but all these units coming online within the next year or two are going to make the marketplace pretty saturated no? I am only slightly worried that there won't be the demand after all of these projects are done. I guess in one way it could be good because the prices will come down- but then again, if I think about it, condos outsold homes in the GTA this year.

p5

Wow. Stunning map.

Where I come from when I see that much population density in such a restricted area,....it's usally called a "ghetto".

As for the recent news about condos outpacing detatched sales, it seems the prime driver for that is simply that detatched in the core is priced out of mosts ppl's range. I wonder how long it will take for condos to reach that breaking point where the demand/supply curve shifts.

Where nobody can afford condos either you mean?

Well, if sales decline, buildings will be redesigned and sales relaunched to before anything gets built. If it were to come down to the affordability of the land under the condos, well, the price of land would have to drop to affordable levels for the development industry again.

Supply and demand means that prices only get high when there is a high demand. The price of condos in this city will always reflect what people are willing to pay for them, with some short adjustment periods to be accounted for.

Affordability is also determined by other external factors beyond the builders control such as taxes, fees and charges as well as material and labour costs and carrying costs/mortgage rates.

Back