News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Downtown Porsche (64 Parliament St , 2s)

This report says the entire site is to be excavated so fingers crossed the entire site is covered with two storeys

From the foundations that they have put in and onto which the steel is being bolted 'as we speak', I suggest that the area at King Street will not be built on but will be used to display cars to the passing public. The building is right up to the sidewalk on Parliament and very close to it on Front so it makes sense to have some open space on the King side.

It will just become a glorified parking lot though. Sure, it'll be filled with Porsches during the day, but they park them inside at night. If it's not going to be built out, I wouldn't mind a landscaped corner similar to the Taddle Creek triangle just up the street. Perhaps Porsche could operate a cafe, or rent space out for a little cafe with a nice corner area to sit outside and have a drink during the warmer months.

From the foundations that they have put in and onto which the steel is being bolted 'as we speak', I suggest that the area at King Street will not be built on but will be used to display cars to the passing public.

And the hoarding covering the sidewalk only extends as far north as the foundations. Sidewalk not covered means no plans to build up. So the King frontage will not be built on. Not what urban fans might want but the dealership get more exposure on Front than on King and that's all they care for.

With many people getting off on the streetcar and walking down to the Distillery, it seems like a real lost opportunity to build a variety of retail frontages along this strip of Parliament. The single use of the car dealership kills it (at least for this block).

I agree. Guess not much can be done about it if they own the property, but you're right, from an urban planning point of view, it's a huge lost opportunity. There's not much for people to interact with along that stretch. This, of course, makes the Distillery District an even bigger gem in the area. But it would be nice if there was a greater urban connection along this stretch instead of simply a long boring walk to the Distillery.

A picture speaks a thousand words but a video puts it in perspective.

[video=youtube;wKO1WPHsZPQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKO1WPHsZPQ[/video]

hey vibe, thanks for all the videos, they definitely give a different perspective to all the projects!

4 February 2010 update: floors going in today, looks promising. I think all these dealerships down here are gonna be around for about 10 years before the sites are properly built up with apartments, etc.

dsc00357s.jpg

dsc00360av.jpg

(Reminds me of dealership row around Burrard and 2nd in Vancouver--slowly going condo.)

Wonder if old site across the street will be bought by a condo developer? btw, new Porsche Panamera is indeed the ugliest sedan on the market! I'd rather drive a Lada Signet!)

Last edited:
Condo developer? Isn't the whole point of the land swap to build something to the tune of a park commemorating the first parliament buildings?

With many people getting off on the streetcar and walking down to the Distillery, it seems like a real lost opportunity to build a variety of retail frontages along this strip of Parliament. The single use of the car dealership kills it (at least for this block).

I agree completely. I live in the Distillery (Pure Spirits building). I looking forward to more stores being added to the area.

I don't think it is quite settled that the existing Porsche building will be demolished and a park built there. The"Porsche plot" belongs to the Ontario Heritage Foundation, the City owns the existing parking lot and park behind it and private folk still own the car wash quadrant. The Heritage Foundation wants to buy it but the government has not got the $$ to do so. One possibility is a museum building - maybe using the Porsche showroom - similar to the Pointe-à-Callière, the Montréal Museum of Archaeology and History whose 'cellar' is actually an archaeological dig.

I agree with Tee that it's a pity the new Porsche building will do nothing to improve the area or provide neighbourhood facilities and shops. The development as happening was opposed by the neighbourhood and the City and was allowed to go ahead at the Committee of Adjustment.

Last edited:
The dealership group is big winner in this land swap and Broadview & Queen is a big loser. I don't expect the Porsche Building to be demolished anytime soon but, it'll be a letdown if it ends up incorporated into the masterplan. It's a 50 year old brick service garage with a big box extension.

I just find this shameful that they put a Porsche dealership on a historical site - whether it's modern or fits in with the surrounding architecture - how does Porsche represent the first Parliament of Canada?!

I walked past this monstrosity yesterday and I think it is a crime that such an ugly slapped-together box is being constructed in this neighbourhood. The "rear" of the building -- which faces the intersection of King E and Parliament, it's worth noting -- is now a multistory concrete block wall punctured by only a few tiny windows. It looms over everything like a prison compound. I assume the bare concrete will be painted or faced with something, but the overall character won't change much.

This prefab box is juxtaposed with the restored factory lofts on the opposite corner, and the beautiful 51 Division building across the street, both of which are now diminished by their new neighbour. Why should we spend millions on restoring buildings such as this if we're going to slap up concrete boxes next to them? The disdain both this building and the current Porsche dealership show to their surrounding community is overwhelming. My only consolation is that this thing should be as easy to knock down in a few years as it was to build. If I was a potential buyer of a King East condo I would be dismayed to see this popping up across the street.

Last edited:

Back