News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 

Downtown Markham

yeah I was thinking about that too, but strange how Uptown Markham, Times Group, construction site is in Downtown Markham, Remington lands... I guess they rented it out to them for the time being since they know they arent building the NEST development for a long time lol, damn. But there is plenty of land WEST of where they're building the rest of Uptown Markham, not sure why they would park stuff SOUTH of it.
I don't think the land is being rented out. Uptown Markham has lots of vacant land to use. I believe it is the swing space for the construction wrapping up at the Signiture and Marriot hotel.

@derekwest
Thank you for providing the link to the Ruland Report, after reading it, now I know what is going on here. Looks like it's going to be a long long long time (I would say, at least 6 years) before we can really see more retail shops in Downtown Markham.

Can anyone repost a copy of the Quadrangle render of what appeared to be a BMO building? The image appears to have been removed from their website.

08021-05.jpg

Attachments

• 08021-05.jpg
    08021-05.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 574
The retail space adjacent to the water feature / skating rink (re: looking west from the carousel) is going to be a restaurant: Terre Rouge Craft Kitchen. The wrap they've put on the windows says their original PEI location was voted a top 100 Canadian restaurant in 2016. The food looks intriguing. Check their Instagram page.

I was checking out the retail space floor plan, they have some large spaces available, I hope they put in a supermarket or something as an anchor (Loblaws?)

Would be nice... but traffic would be pretty horrible heh, No Frills plaza @ Warden and 7 is awful as it is.

With such density of residential units and retail mix, traffic is expected to be crazy in Downtown Markham. I just don't know how the parking works for the general public? Would it be paid-parking in the future? The parking spaces in the basement for the Cineplex are far from enough, luckily there are ground parking spaces adjacent to it on the east (These spaces are supposed to be for the construction workers and contractors). I assumed that they may close the ground parking lot once the Signature Condo K is occupied and the parking decks are opened.

@derekwest

Agreed, looking forward to more retail shops, would like to see different variety.

Definitely more variety I hope. Downtown Markham's retail shops should be culturally diverse because this area should serve all cultures. Currently, there are an excess of Asian restaurants in this area that imo most non-Asians that live here don't go to. We need more diverse food options. But I have a strong feeling that's not gonna happen in this area unfortunately.

Definitely more variety I hope. Downtown Markham's retail shops should be culturally diverse because this area should serve all cultures. Currently, there are an excess of Asian restaurants in this area that imo most non-Asians that live here don't go to. We need more diverse food options. But I have a strong feeling that's not gonna happen in this area unfortunately.

It's starting off well so far in terms of variety, IMO, given there's a Milestones, a Japanese place, a middle eastern place, a seafood place, soon a restaurant from PEI, soon a Ruth Chris steakhouse, etc. As a non-Asian, I don't really mind if there's a few too many bubble tea places as long as there's variety overall. I think the retail managers are actually making an effort to have diverse offerings and I hope this continues. I don't think Remington want another Market Village-type situation where it's appealing mostly to one demographic. Pacific Mall and Market Village are great in their own way, but not exactly what I think most would look for in a downtown. In the future phases, I think Downtown Markham will be trying to compete with Markville for big-name retailers.

Back