News   Apr 22, 2024
 818     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 693     0 

Downtown Markham

I noticed from the GO train that Remington was doing a fair amount of work cleaning up the land at the far north east of their property, north of Enterprise next to the rail line. It appears that their next project will be there, next to the new university campus. This is a pretty big change from their previous "west to east" development model. With this and other expected development close to the campus, Markham Centre is going to see some major growth closer to Kennedy.

The clearing work they've done in the North-East corner has a short-term purpose: Pan Am parking. You may yet prove to be correct that they have that site in mind for a new building. But I have a feeling that "steps to York University's new campus" is just real estate wordsmithing, and the next building with be either (a) the lot North of Enterprise bordering Warden, for which there was a recent public hearing (Remington wanted to change the zoning from commercial to residential for a condo), or (b) the next phase of Signature.

The clearing work they've done in the North-East corner has a short-term purpose: Pan Am parking. You may yet prove to be correct that they have that site in mind for a new building. But I have a feeling that "steps to York University's new campus" is just real estate wordsmithing, and the next building with be either (a) the lot North of Enterprise bordering Warden, for which there was a recent public hearing (Remington wanted to change the zoning from commercial to residential for a condo), or (b) the next phase of Signature.

Good point -- I just noticed this Pan Am parking this morning. You are probably correct in that the plans will be the same as before.

The Downtown Markham website refers to the new condos as "York Condos". I think that the new condos will be at the current Pan Am parking lot...but that is just a guess.

There is a small sign up on a window at building M (the east building) of the cineplex complex that says "Golf Town coming soon".

Last edited:
An animated billboard has gone up on the Cineplex @ Enterprise Blvd. It has a Dundas Square quality to it in that it is REALLY BRIGHT and lights up the street (especially the future Marriott Hotel across the street). I want moar of these :D Makes the area so urban. Signage like this is a first for Markham.

Ya the sign looks fantastic. You are right, it is really really bright....especially at night when you drive by.
That entire intersection of Birchmount and Enterprise will be lite-up in a few years.

Kiu, a restaurant from the owners of Ramen Isshin, to open in (Downtown) Markham this fall

Downtown Markham is getting a new 140-seat restaurant this October. Kiu, which means “joyous rain," is the latest venture by Koji Zenimaru and Jason Matsubara of Ramen Isshin — the spinoff of well-loved Cabbagetown izakaya Kingyo. The new 5,500-square-foot place will have walnut table tops, black leather chairs and striking red accents.

Neat!

markhamkiu-dd162072.jpeg

This is what was going to be an office building ?

The York Condos facebook page mentions that Downtown Markham is getting a Ruth's Chris steakhouse! Also a Goodlife, Golf Town and Canada Goose, among others. It's nice to see the retail starting to come alive here.

Better late than never... finally coming together. That first pic showing a piece of the Birchmount/Entreprise intersection looking great!

Back