News   May 03, 2024
 394     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 269     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 149     0 

Downtown Markham

Fun Fact: This new ciniplex is actually closer to the CN tower than the Toronto Zoo. So yes, I would say this is within "Toronto".

Some of the previously announced:

Retail:
- Curry's Art Supply
- Digi Deco (some mobile accessories store)

So that's where they're moving to. I heard there was a sale at the Market Village location to sell off some stuff before their move.

In addition to the RBC opening in the retail/office building next to the Cineplex, a TD Bank will also be opening on the ground floor of the Nexus South condo building according to signs posted on the windows.

A sign posted indicates that the following retailers will be opening on the ground floor of the Nexus condo buildings:
- TD Canada Trust
- Raw-More Natural Food Shop
- Tea Shop 168
- Salon Diva
- Chiu Chow Restaurant
- Blueberry Medical Clinic

There are more retailers for the Nexus buildings to be announced.

It's good to see retail start to open up here. I'm liking that it's a pretty diverse mix of tenants so far as well.

With the Cineplex open there's some life to the area now - people are actually walking around. Not bad considering the neighbourhood is still mostly windswept fields. Retail in the Nexus condos should help make the area feel a bit less barren.

So, it strikes me as a reasonable programming, especially if they've always got a foreign film on tap.
Well technically all the movies playing there are foreign films...

York University Markham campus confirmed.

Link here.

Some additional images from the yestoyork.ca website:

skc8V6V.jpg

mVPi3jt.jpg

La7GVWM.jpg

PhNTzWP.jpg

1 dead and 1 injured after boom lift tipped over at the Cineplex, from CityNews;

One man is dead after an industrial accident at a construction site in Markham, York regional police say.

A skyjack — scissor lift work platform — tipped over with two men in the basket, which was about 16 feet in the air at the time.

A second person was rushed to hospital in critical condition.

The men are believed to be in their 40s.

The accident happened at Birchmount Road and Enterprise Boulevard around 7:30 a.m. on Thursday.

The Ministry of Labour has been called to the scene.

One of the skyjack’s wheels crushed a green fiberglass cover that was placed over an utility access hole in the sidewalk. However, it’s not known if that’s why the skyjack tipped over.

Just to clarify, the article calls it a scissor lift, but it is an articulating boom lift. It appears that they drove over a plastic utility cover and broke through, causing the machine to tip.

From what I've been able to gather, they were sheet metal workers doing exterior panel work.

Last edited:
I wonder who would be at fault in this instance. The company for allowing the lift to be used on the sidewalk, or the City for allowing a manhole cover with a low enough load rating that it could be punched through...

I wonder who would be at fault in this instance. The company for allowing the lift to be used on the sidewalk, or the City for allowing a manhole cover with a low enough load rating that it could be punched through...
Well ... accident investigations are an interesting thing, because you are guilty until proven innocent. The company that employs these workers and the supervisor that supervised them must demonstrate that they actively took all reasonable means to ensure the safety of their workers. They need to prove that no matter what happens (which, speaking from experience, can be difficult).

The Ministry of Labour is also going to look at the general contractor almost immediately. Hazards exist on any job site, and many cannot be eliminated, but must be controlled (ie. guardrails or protective covers in open floors, etc.) so the cover not being able to support the machine is not necessarily damning for the City. For instance, if the cover was not capable of safely supporting the active machinery, why was this area not cordoned off or planked over or marked by the General Contractor in some way? It was their responsibility to do so, as they were aware of the working equipment in area (they are responsible for those trades, after all) and they should presumably be aware of the hazard, as it is on their project site. And If they didn't do those things, or worse, were not even aware of either of those things (the hazard or where their trade contractor was working), then it immediately puts them in the legal category of incompetent supervisor, which basically means you are getting fined.

Last edited:
Zoning by-law amendment application by Ruland Properties Inc.(The Remington Group).

There is a public meeting scheduled for June 16 at 7pm to consider a zoning by-law amendment by the Remington Group.

The subject site is right behind the Viva Bus Station on Warden and Enterprise (north side of Enterprise). Right now it's empty land. It had been previously planned to be a commercial office building / other business uses. However it appears that's Remington wants to build a 15 storey residential mixed-use condo there instead.

I noticed from the GO train that Remington was doing a fair amount of work cleaning up the land at the far north east of their property, north of Enterprise next to the rail line. It appears that their next project will be there, next to the new university campus. This is a pretty big change from their previous "west to east" development model. With this and other expected development close to the campus, Markham Centre is going to see some major growth closer to Kennedy.

York_Condos.png

An animated billboard has gone up on the Cineplex @ Enterprise Blvd. It has a Dundas Square quality to it in that it is REALLY BRIGHT and lights up the street (especially the future Marriott Hotel across the street). I want moar of these :D Makes the area so urban. Signage like this is a first for Markham.

Back