News   Mar 28, 2024
 17     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 261     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 635     0 

Downtown Markham

Hmm looks like something happened to the Poke Guys front window facade, looked like the glass was completely broken. I only got a glimpse as I drove by.
Saw at least 3x cop cars, I hope it wasnt an overnight break-in/robbery but only plausible thing I can think of.

With all the new surrounding buildings and residents, hopefully there's decent crime prevention in place for the influx of people.

Markham Centre Secondary Plan Update/Development Concepts - More Information Here https://pub-markham.escribemeetings.com/filestream.ashx?DocumentId=55645
Screenshot (2466).png
Screenshot (2467).png

Screenshot (2468).png
Screenshot (2470).png

Screenshot (2471).png
Screenshot (2472).png

Screenshot (2473).png
Screenshot (2474).png
Screenshot (2475).png
Screenshot (2476).png

Screenshot (2477).png
Screenshot (2478).png

I can't wait for them to open Yorktech drive west of Warden. It would alleviate so much traffic on hwy 7.

That big major park looks interesting too on the west end. Wonder what that will look like.

Overall I'm excited for these proposed changes, too bad I'll be dead before it all get built lol.

What I want to know is when are they going to create a pedestrian path directly form Unionville GO station to Enterprise so we don't have to walk an extra 700m in the wrong direction to University Blvd and back to the underpass on Enterprise where there should be stairs to access the platforms. It completely ruins pedestrian access to the current Downtown Markham and I'm pretty sure the City of Markham owns that land, not Metrolinx.

Screenshot (2477).png

I just noticed the proposed re-development of everything along Kennedy. All the retail such as Shell, Jiffy, all the car dealerships (Ford, Honda, MB) and entire New Kennedy Square will all be replaced with high rise residential buildings.

Where is all the retail/commercial going to go? I hope incorporated within these buildings.

View attachment 411961

I just noticed the proposed re-development of everything along Kennedy. All the retail such as Shell, Jiffy, all the car dealerships (Ford, Honda, MB) and entire New Kennedy Square will all be replaced with high rise residential buildings.

Where is all the retail/commercial going to go? I hope incorporated within these buildings.
There will be lots of retail and commercial, just not many car dealerships.

Though, to be honest, in the 10-20+ years it takes to build out, the car dealership model might change quite a bit with manufacturers direct selling and not keeping a lot of inventory on dealer lots.

I just hope Nam 2 and Big Beef Bowl don't disappear; New Kennedy Square is such a gem, though perhaps not from an urbanist's perspective.

View attachment 411961

How are we going to move all these people?

There's going to be a GO station. I would not be surprised to see BRT and eventual extension of the Ontario Line to Markham Centre, though I think the province has other ideas.

VIVA rapidways are at some point being extended along Kennedy and then east on Highway 7 east to Cornell. If ridership warrants, this can always be upgraded to LRT in the decades to come.

View attachment 411961

All the car dealerships moving to Hwy 7, now there's Audi across from Whole Foods and used to be Volvo (space now taken over by VW), then there's the Ford dealership moving east of Markville to west of Kennedy beside Shoppers Drug Market (used to be a used car dealership).

Was hoping that it would be better retail, but I guess if I ever need a new car, it's a stone throws away for most major brands.

Since no one updates this thread anymore, thought I'd try :)

Lots of dirt being moved around the area. Ive been here about 7 years and this is the most action I've seen happening all at once.

New School (Markham Centre PS) was approved and slated for opening 2026 (was 2024, but got bumped for whatever reason).

2022-07-18_12-18-25.jpg

Last edited:
The new Gallery Phase II a good buy?

I dont know if Gallery Towers will be a good buy, but once its completed, Im sure it's going to be a nice marquee building in the middle of the downtown hub.

These are York Condo facilities and they look pretty nice, I imagine that Gallery is going to be just as nice if not better.
IMG_20220801_154725 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Back