News   Mar 28, 2024
 244     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 627     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 375     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

I wanted to create an open list for eveyone to see. This is such a phenomenal expansion of grocery stores in the core, we knew some would come w/all the condos...but wow.

** edit note, I have added the noted Longos@FCP; I originally excluded Whole Foods as I view North Yorkville as the hinterlands (LOL), but I've now added that too.

By Chain:

LOBLAWS:

Current:

Queen's Quay & Jarvis
Yorkville ** (Valumart chain)

Proposed and U/C

Maple Leaf Gardens
Queen/Portland
Toronto Sun Building
Bathurst/Lakeshore

Metro

Current:

Bloor/Spadina
College Park
Merchandise Bldg (Gould/Church)
Front/Church

Proposed/U/C

One Bloor ** (previous proposal, not confirmed for new GG bldg)

Sobeys

Current

Spadina/Bremner
Queen's Quay (mini)
Front/Sherbourne
Annex (mini)
Yonge north of college (mini)

Proposed and U/C

College Park
Regent Park
Jarvis & Adelaide (VU condo)

Longos

Current:

Dundas/Elizabeth - mini
Brookfield (BCE) Place - mini

Proposed and U/C

Hudson's Bay Centre - mini
First Cdn Place - mini
MLS (Bremner and York) - full

Whole Foods

Current: Hazelton Lanes/Yorkville

McEwan

No Current

Proposed:

King/Bathurst (travellodge site)

Last edited:
I think the proposed Sobeys (Jarvis & Adelaide (VU condo)) is actually on the east side of George Street between Adelaide and Richmond but there are also plans for another condo in that area which MAY take over the building - PostHouse Condos. Nothing has happened to that site for well over a year since they did interior demolition so it may be dead?

There are also Rabbas all over downtown.

No Frills in Cabbagetown, No Frills and Food Basics in St. Jamestown, and Whole Foods in Yorkville.

Last edited:
Really? Where? There's already a Metro in there.

My understanding is it will be somewhere on the south side, because it envision an expansion of just over 2,000 sq ft on to what is now public outdoor (but privately owned) space.

Its also technically part of the Bay st. side of the complex, but that almost meets the Yonge side with an L.

So I suspect, but don't know, its in the lower area they've used for the odd concert in the past, where where hallway connects the 2 buildings that make up 'College Park'

AS for Metro, I found that odd too. Someone suggested the 2 halves of College Park have different owners which could explain it; and of course there is the long standing rumour Metro will relocate to Aura.

This from today's Star. Looks like the Lakeshore/Bathurst Loblaws is still not happening and is the "King Street No Frills" the rumoured one on the Sun Building?

"The three Toronto-area stores include a previously announced Loblaw store in the former Maple Leaf Gardens hockey arena, plus another at Queen St. W. and Portland, as well as a No Frills store on King St."

Does anyone know when the Longo's at the Hudson's Bay Centre is opening?

This from today's Star. Looks like the Lakeshore/Bathurst Loblaws is still not happening and is the "King Street No Frills" the rumoured one on the Sun Building?

"The three Toronto-area stores include a previously announced Loblaw store in the former Maple Leaf Gardens hockey arena, plus another at Queen St. W. and Portland, as well as a No Frills store on King St."

Well, there is the No Frills on King near Jameson, if that counts. (And it's definitely one of your hardcore old school No Frillses.)

Well, like so many first-generation No Frillses, it *is* a vintage Loblaws. It's a little like those remaining "vintage Woolco" Wal-Marts...

Fresh and Wild in Distillery is for sale. From DTZ Barnicke website:

41 Mill Street
Toronto

Sale

PROPERTY DETAILS LISTING DETAILS
Detailed Description Business
Intersection Mill Street & Parliament Street
Use Upscale supermarket
Asking Price $500,000.00

Type Direct
Total Size 8,250 sq. ft

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CONTACT DETAILS
Listing Agent(s) Agent Phone Agent Email
Gord Cowan 905-695-3145 Gord.Cowan@dtzbarnicke.com

Back