News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.3K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 574     1 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

A Longos is opening at First Canadian Place apparently.
http://www.longos.com/uploads/fom/2010 FCP/fcp_opportunities.pdf

I wish downtown had a FULL SIZE grocery store :( So tired already of all these "mini" stores.

The Metros on Front and at Gould are full-size stores, as is the Loblaws on QQ and, as Kettal says, the MLG one will be too. How many 'full sized" grocery stores do you want? I find I can buy at least 80% of what I want in the smaller Sobeys anyway.

I don't consider any of those stores to be downtown, except the Metro on Gould. Of course the Loblaws at MLG too, but that doesn't exist yet.

For people west of Yonge, living downtown, there is no large stores.

I live in Boutique condos, and to get to a large store, I have to; with no car, mind you, travel all the way to one of those stores to get my groceries. My closest grocery store is Longos, which is one of their "mini" stores, and I wouldn't shop there. It's way too expensive.

Last edited:
Isn't the Metro at College Park "full size" enough? (Just mentioning, as it's escaped mention since Khristopher's original post.)

Oh, and w/a Metropass, you can also take a quick commute to exotica like the Loblaws at St Clair West...

The Metro at College Park is ridiculously crowded and as it is open 24 hours, isn't maintained as well as it should sometimes. For instance, all the fresh mushrooms are kept in a "refrigerator" that has been down for months and no one seems to care. I live at ROCP and have direct access, yet I prefer Grocery Gateway - no time for regular excursions to other neighbourhoods for basic groceries.

Even with the new Loblaws at MLG, there could be another mid-size store in the vicinity. ROCP, Murano, Met, and soon Lumière, Burano and eventually Aura: none of those were occupied when Dominion (now Metro) opened.

That Metro is not full sized at all. It's the store I go to most often though. The thread is about grocery stores in downtown. Loblaws at St.Clair West is not downtown.

I know; my argument's more that w/a Metropass, it's practically as good as being downtown.

Besides, given my inclinations, it's be more the absence of No Frills-level shopping than Loblaws-level shopping that galls...

Ok, so what item is it that you can't find at any existing grocery stores?

Downtown is not Mississauga. People who live here don't do grocery shopping once a week, they make several smaller trips to the store instead. That is why we don't have mega-box grocery stores. You also might have noticed the lack of Home Depots and Costcos too.

I think your wish may come true with the MLG Loblaws and maybe Longos. There is a large loblaws on Queens Quay East. Also the sobey's at cityplace is medium size.

MLG Loblaws will be quite large. I don't expect it to be your standard Loblaws, though.

Ok, so what item is it that you can't find at any existing grocery stores?

Downtown is not Mississauga. People who live here don't do grocery shopping once a week, they make several smaller trips to the store instead. That is why we don't have mega-box grocery stores. You also might have noticed the lack of Home Depots and Costcos too.

Wow you speak for everyone who lives downtown eh?

Back