News   Mar 28, 2024
 467     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 387     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 740     0 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

Metro Centre has recently boarded up all their empty storefronts. It feels like something is happening soon - maybe that long-rumoured LCBO and Farm Boy?

Was down there yesterday and took a quick video. It's a very long section of stores that are boarded up, but not all contiguous so I'd be surprised if they fit a grocery store in there. Unless the plan is to also take the hallways, which could still work. I didn't walk fully around but what I circled is around what was all boarded up.

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 12.50.02 PM.png

Metro now offers a "cardboard box" option for delivery instead of using plastic bags, which I imagine is coming with the new laws restricting single use plastics.
These jute bags look like a good alternative to plastics. I avoid even bags made of recycled plastic since they’re only recyclable once (due to their construction of multiple plastic types mixed), and then go to landfill.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/10/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Last edited:

Was down there yesterday and took a quick video. It's a very long section of stores that are boarded up, but not all contiguous so I'd be surprised if they fit a grocery store in there. Unless the plan is to also take the hallways, which could still work. I didn't walk fully around but what I circled is around what was all boarded up.

View attachment 425872

Here's the permit for this work..........not overly revelatory, but certainly seems to involve food.

1665526699537.png

That's well over 1/2 the units in the complex.

Metro has an upgrade to their delivery service that now allows you to track the delivery vehicle en route from the store on Google Maps, and in-turn you can monitor the terrible route choices the choose.
"Seriously? You're taking Dundas Street across the whole downtown at this time of day?"
But at least it's good to see how far away it is in case you need to pop out for a few minutes and not worry that is exactly when they will show up.
You can also see where it makes all its stops along the way to your place.

Last edited:
Metro had a delivery upgrade that now allows you to track the delivery vehicle en route from the store, and in-turn you can monitor the terrible route choices the choose.
"Seriously? You're taking Dundas Street across the whole downtown at this time of day?"
Any chance they had deliveries along that route?

Any chance they had deliveries along that route?
I don't think so. You can see where it stops for a delivery--it's not marked or has any indication--but you can see it pull over and stop for about 5-10 minutes, but in this case it was always inching along the map on Dundas from Bay all the way to Sherbourne very very slowly, no stops for deliveries, just traffic. It came down Bay all the way from Davenport, so there were better options.

EDIT: oh it actually shows you this information too!

1666220130361.png

UPDATE:
The travel time estimates appear a tad optimistic....

1666222186795.png

Last edited:
I don't think so. You can see where it stops for a delivery--it's not marked or has any indication--but you can see it pull over and stop for about 5-10 minutes, but in this case it was always inching along the map on Dundas from Bay all the way to Sherbourne very very slowly, no stops for deliveries, just traffic. It came down Bay all the way from Davenport, so there were better options.

View attachment 433669

UPDATE:

View attachment 433671
No, it's that Metro has invented a new service: the Teleportation Delivery! The extra fee will be 500%.

View attachment 433669

UPDATE:

View attachment 433671

Hmmm.

1.83km, in 60 seconds.

That works out to a non-stop speed of 109.8km/ph

No, it's that Metro has invented a new service: the Teleportation Delivery! The extra fee will be 500%.

Which may or may not be teleportation.........

Certainly seems optimistic, to put it charitably

But it is definitely speeding on Queen Street.

In point of fact, I'm quite sure it's stunt driving, which would result in impounding of the delivery vehicle if apprehended by police.

Never mind the odds on getting 100% green lights that strongly suggest running more than one red light as well.

If you assume just one red light, with a 25s dwell and some penalty for acceleration and braking.........your way over 200km/ph on the balance of the route.

Just sayin...........

LOL

It really is painful to look at! I really don't think it can be said enough how honestly bad this, it really takes work to make a good design look so bad.

Note for those curious about retail, it should be noted the grocery space is confirmed to be leased (to a grocer), and some here may know which one it is based on previous discussion.

Source

View attachment 447707

Cross posting @emphur's post from the Peter Adelaide thread. Looks like the grocery desert in this part of town is about to get some relief.

Fresh City Farms at Bay/Gerrard closing on January 25

Interesting.

This mini-empire which combined Healthy Butcher, Mabels and FCM is shrinking two of the three banners noticeably.

I'm not sure when, but they closed Healthy Butcher on Queen West; so that banner is down to just the midtown location.

Their Mabel's banner (Bakery-focused) seems to be doing ok.

Back