News   Jun 25, 2024
 725     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 728     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)

There will also be a small store going in at King and Shaw. They want the condo market and want a smaller, urban concept store to capture that

Better luck to them than Sobeys had with the same concept (mind you, the execution of the concept by Sobeys wasn't necessarily stellar).
Location is important. The urban concept store at City Place is generally hopping

Of course Loblaws used to have a small urban format store in Yorkville....

You mean Bloor Street Market? Still there. In fact, I was there this afternoon.

Does anybody know what Loblaws intends to do with the King/Brant building where they fully built their Nutshell store but never opened? It's sat empty all year.

They said that buying Shoppers Drugmart killed their concept for Nutshell. I wonder if they intend to use the new store for a concept Shoppers with a bigger focus on fresh food.

Nonetheless, they must be intent on using it because paying the rent on such an expensive location with no active use for a year can't be cheap. If they didn't plan to use it, they would have sold it by now.

I think urbandreamer was referring to the old Loblaws store at Yonge and Yorkville Ave., closed 12 (?) or so years ago.

Is it where the BB Buggy is now? Just trying to pinpoint where it was. And no, I wasn't in the area much in the late 90s-early 2000s. I was going to university at Queen's! Before that, my family and I lived in North York.

Is it where the BB Buggy is now? Just trying to pinpoint where it was. And no, I wasn't in the area much in the late 90s-early 2000s. I was going to university at Queen's! Before that, my family and I lived in North York.

I suppose so. The Loblaws was the same building style/vintage as the one at Broadview and Danforth, or even the one in Moore Park (before the recent renovations), and it (along with its surface parking lot) was located where 18 Yorkville and Town Hall Square are now.

Expensive groceries. Something more moderate for this area would be better. A Metro or Loblaws.

I agree, expensive. But not too expensive for the area in that it will cater to the singles/couples enjoying the "condo lifestyle." Let's not kid ourselves. Those units barely even have kitchens. My Dad's bar in our old basement rec room was bigger and better equipped than most new condo kitchens I see.

I boycott Whole Foods. Owner John Mackey is anti-union, anti-Obamacare, even thinks climate change is "natural." Never been in the one in Toronto and was once dragged kicking and screaming to one in South Florida.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Mackey_%28businessman%29#Political_views

I bet the store will do just great.

This will not prevent cheaper competition from opening in the area. I can see the the neighbourhood supporting both. But, for now, families who want to shop and need cheaper can drive, assuming they have cars and most do, to one of two Loblaws, Sobey's on Broadview, IGA on Danforth, No Frills just off Carlaw ...

Back