News   Jul 25, 2024
 171     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 296     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 393     0 

Doors Open 2009 - May 23 & 24

Wow.. 10 yrs already.

Unfortunately, I feel it's getting a tad old and losing focus. Many buildings on the list for this year are open to the public all year round (like the libraries). Others have been on the list since the beginning (they deserve applause) so have been seen before. The theme last year was Houses of Worship. Is there a theme this year? A good portion of the buildings are again houses of worship.

I'd like to see new buildings that are iconic to Toronto be open. A couple of suggestions: The SkyDome and ACC (backstage, locker room tours, etc). Seeing Maple Leaf Gardens during Nuit Blanche last year was quite an experience.

What I'd really love to do would be to have walking tours of the subway tunnels. Of course this would have to be at night when the trains aren't running, but that's one door I'd love to peer into... legally :D

Maybe there are decommissioned tunnels or service tunnels that could be accessed in a limited fashion with a guide. A short 5-10 minute walk with a tour guide discussing the functionality of different aspects of the tunnel would be great.

I think an excellent theme for an upcoming Doors Open would be "Under Toronto" featuring walk-throughs of the above mentioned subway tunnel and other underground infrastructure.

Is there a theme this year?

from the website...

"This year books meet buildings for the finale of Lit City - Toronto Stories, Toronto Settings - March to May 2009. This special focus on literary Toronto features author readings, literary walks, exhibits and more."

Wow.. 10 yrs already.

Unfortunately, I feel it's getting a tad old and losing focus. Many buildings on the list for this year are open to the public all year round (like the libraries). Others have been on the list since the beginning (they deserve applause) so have been seen before. The theme last year was Houses of Worship. Is there a theme this year? A good portion of the buildings are again houses of worship.

I'd like to see new buildings that are iconic to Toronto be open. A couple of suggestions: The SkyDome and ACC (backstage, locker room tours, etc). Seeing Maple Leaf Gardens during Nuit Blanche last year was quite an experience.

What I'd really love to do would be to have walking tours of the subway tunnels. Of course this would have to be at night when the trains aren't running, but that's one door I'd love to peer into... legally :D

Maybe there are decommissioned tunnels or service tunnels that could be accessed in a limited fashion with a guide. A short 5-10 minute walk with a tour guide discussing the functionality of different aspects of the tunnel would be great.

I think an excellent theme for an upcoming Doors Open would be "Under Toronto" featuring walk-throughs of the above mentioned subway tunnel and other underground infrastructure.

I hadn't thought of this and quite agree. An edgier 'Urban Exploration' tour of places that are normally forbidden would be a treat for many.

I much regret the water treatment plant at Vic Park and Queen now being off the tour agenda. Some of the instrumentation in there was absolutely steam punk.

I went to see the Don Jail, around 1:30 and I was turned away. I was told the line up was too long and I wouldn't get in. I was pissed! I guess tomorrow I'll have to go 8am or something. I'm getting in that jail, even if I have to commit a crime to do it.

You'll be fine at 9AM. I was there today at 8:30 (glad I got up early), and was in the third group in. Highly recommended, even if the tour lasts 30 minutes. You see most of the good stuff like death row and the gallows and the rotunda. Since the subway opens late tomorrow, it might be a slower start.

Greenwood was really great. Well organized, efficient, and like Hillcrest, had that pride of work attitude. Pictures allowed as well.

I went to see the Don Jail, around 1:30 and I was turned away. I was told the line up was too long and I wouldn't get in. I was pissed! I guess tomorrow I'll have to go 8am or something. I'm getting in that jail, even if I have to commit a crime to do it.

me to!! :mad:

make sure you take lots of pics to share with us. :D

do they have free parking there? i'm thinking about bringing my family there this time.

too bad about the jail Torontovibe. but i can't say i'm too suprised. i'd guess that the jail was the most visited site this year. luckily i paid my $25 a couple of weeks ago to photograph the place and venture around freely.

i went to wychwood barns and just loved how the community was using the space. the neighbourhood is very lucky to have this space.

next stop was greenwood and like ShonTron mentioned, it was great. it really reminded me of hillcrest with lots of goodies to photograph and see. the model city with the streetcars was awesome.

last stop was at the eglinton bus garage and just like greenwood it was great. they had all the different buses out and open for everyone to see. they even brought out a newly rebuilt fishbowl that still had a fresh coat of paint on it. also got to check out where the security cam hardware is located and what views you get from the cameras. a bus was also raised to see under the belly of the beast. and nothing like finishing off with an informative ride through the bus wash. btw, i overheard that they finished off with about 1500+ people at greenwood and 850+ at the garage.

overall and very very good day.

Last edited:
got this from another forum...

Just got back from volunteering at the Don Jail Doors Open. Folks, some tips for anyone planning to go to the Don Jail tomorrow (Sunday):

1. Get there early. How early? 730AM for the 10AM opening. I'm not kidding. We had people in line by that time. My buddy didn't listen and got there for 10AM. He got into the jail at 430PM!! At 11AM they started telling people at the back of the line, now snaked to near the library, that they wouldn't likely be getting in.

2. Bring water/drinks. Stuff is available there for purchase so stay hydrated. One elderly lady passed out from the heat. She was ok.

3. If someone passes out in line DO NOT start taking their picture. To the 2 young Asian dudes with digital SLRs that started to do this, let's just say that you were very lucky you finally stopped when you were told to cease. There were people in line ready to wreck your cameras and more. Unbelievably tacky on your part.

4. Be patient. Due to fire code regulations the jail can only take in 25 people on the upper floor (cells, gallows) and a larger number on the main level. You go in with groups of 16 + 2 guides. A group goes in every 5 minutes. You get a 30 minute tour with about 8 minutes for the upper floor.

5. If this is too problematic, book a paid guided tour here. The tours are longer and led by paid tour guides.

6. Be nice to the volunteers. We know you've been in line for a long time. No, we don't know precisely how much longer you'll be waiting. Today the fire marshal shut us down for almost 1 hour which really slowed things down.

Tomorrow I'm at the Flatiron building. Take care ya'll!

too bad about the jail Torontovibe. but i can't say i'm too suprised. i'd guess that the jail was the most visited site this year. luckily i paid my $25 a couple of weeks ago to photograph the place and venture around freely.

i went to wychwood barns and just loved how the community was using the space. the neighbourhood is very lucky to have this space.

next stop was greenwood and like ShonTron mentioned, it was great. it really reminded me of hillcrest with lots of goodies to photograph and see. the model city with the streetcars was awesome.

last stop was at the eglinton bus garage and just like greenwood it was great. they had all the different buses out and open for everyone to see. they even brought out a newly rebuilt fishbowl that still had a fresh coat of paint on it. also got to check out where the security cam hardware is located and what views you get from the cameras. a bus was also raised to see under the belly of the beast. and nothing like finishing off with an informative ride through the bus wash. btw, i overheard that they finished off with about 1500+ people at greenwood and 850+ at the garage.

overall and very very good day.

What is greenwood? I don't see anything by that name on the Doors Open list.

Sounds like they did a good job at Eglinton garage. Unfortunately, it was out of the way, and I've seen bus garages before (got a personal tour once of Brampton Transit's Clark Blvd. Garage). Missed a good site by the sounds of it.

I'm really glad I got to Don Jail early (8:30 was early enough). The volunteers there were amazing. I'm going through the history of the Boyd Gang again as my interest was piqued.

Good seeing Darkstar and Simply Dan by chance between the Don and Greenwood. I'll be out tomorrow at Regent Park and random sites.

Last edited:
The creepy Don Jail.

DOORSOPEN2-MAY24-09313.jpg

Back