News   Apr 26, 2024
 369     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 570     0 

Do GO Fare Zones Really Exist?

andomano

Member Bio
Reaction score
Of course they exist, but is there a link or map that is available to the public to visualize them? I have checked the GO transit website and have found nothing. I've searched Google and have come up with nothing. My personal purpose of this is for purchasing a day pass which will allow "Unlimited travel in one day between two specified fare zones", and of course as you may have guessed, I would like to know everything in the fare zone to get the most for my money.

Of course they exist, but is there a link or map that is available to the public to visualize them? I have checked the GO transit website and have found nothing. I've searched Google and have come up with nothing. My personal purpose of this is for purchasing a day pass which will allow "Unlimited travel in one day between two specified fare zones", and of course as you may have guessed, I would like to know everything in the fare zone to get the most for my money.

There is an internal use map, and that's about it.

There's a map on there website - in a publication on fares ... I downloaded a few weeks ago. Wasn't that hard to find ... I'd point to the URL but my hands are full right now.

There's a document called "System Map for Fare Finder" but it's nothing more than their standard system map.

The only time I've ever seen a fare zone map is in the bus driver's on-board map book.

Yes, that's it - I guess it is Toronto-only; I was using it to figure out what I could do with the Zone 6 to Zone 2 10-ride card I always carry around. But outside of Toronto it is pretty straight-forward, and this document lists all the zone.

Sorry I didn't provide URL - couldn't put the baby down long enough to search.

Do fare zones exist for GO...an interesting question. Being a master of Paint, I created the map below to correlate ticket prices with geographic location.

Each station stop is colour coded according to the cost of a single adult ticket to Union. For example, a yellow dot would have a ticket price between $4-5. Once all the stations where added, I then drew zone boundaries. Finally, to prove that GO's ticket prices are somewhat arbitrary, I added 5km concentric rings from Union Station.

Apparently, you get the best value for your money in south central York Region, King City having the cheapest relative fares in the system. Meanwhile, Oakville and Brampton seem to be the most overpriced, with Bronte in particular being the most expensive station on the system considering how far you travel.

GO.jpg
[/IMG]

Excellent post. So there is a zone worse than Brampton in terms of GO hosing you. And I never expected it would be Bronte.

I should do one for York U, which could really make one's head spin.

If you want to wrap your head around this York U corridor problem:

Pickering to Unionville: $5.20
Pickering to Toronto: $5.95
Pickering to Milliken: $9.75

Note that there is no direct route from Pickering to Unionville (via Langstaff) or Miliken (via T.O.)

Clearly, there's a problem somewhere in the system.

Does anyone know how multiline travel works?

Although that map addresses the correlation between fee and cost, as we can see by the map from the pdf file (link in post 8); the zoning isn't that simple.

If GO doesn't publish zones to the public, aren't they the ones at fault if traveling in a different zone?

picture.php

Definitely! How can I be responsible for going to Zone 72 if I don't know the boundary between 71 and 72!

Also, what happens if you're in Zone 72 and want to get to Zone 92? Are you allowed to go all the way downtown and out again?

Back