News   Mar 28, 2024
 949     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Distillery District

My take on that sculpture was that it was magical hideousness. Could never bond with it, personally. It reminds me of bad art... curious handling of the figure - rather crude and unstudied. Cool in a way, especially in how it was fabricated, and the montrous scale - but it never made me think of terms like "elegant" or "sophisticated" or "admirable." It was fascinating in a clinical way. Damned if I know what the artist was thinking, but then again I'm prepared to cut him lots of slack. People either like or work or don't. It happens.

Anyway, I'm glad it's gone from the Distillery; I really don't miss it. As for it being removed from the public eye - I don't know about that. I have every expectation that those who visit the lake by boat won't fail have a chance to be confronted by its graces.... you can't miss that sucker. In a way, I think it's found a better home in its present siting. It's more dramatic, not as hemmed in by grand old buildings. It now has a chance to breathe ... it looks larger, more monumental now.

I spoke to the artist, and to put it into context, the sculpture was originally commissioned for a Burning Man. Can you imagine that enourmous creature sitting crouched on the Nevada dessert? I think the stance of the creature is perfect.

Took a walk around the Distillery the other day, and snapped a couple of shots of the new restaurant going in the podium of the new tower. Looking pretty nice I'd say. I've heard randomly that the plan is for a french restaurant, can anyone confirm?

I also could have sworn that the former Fresh 'n' Wild store in the Clear Spirit building seemed to have some wood planks affixed to the wall, does anyone know if there has been any movement with this spot?

10007406_10153908071610652_669457077_n.jpg
10001485_10153908071400652_1866189346_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10007406_10153908071610652_669457077_n.jpg
    10007406_10153908071610652_669457077_n.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 10001485_10153908071400652_1866189346_n.jpg
    10001485_10153908071400652_1866189346_n.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,426
I heard it was going to be a french restaurant as well. Very nice spare-no-expense interior.
The fresh and wild space unfortunately is serving as a construction office for the time being. Guys working there (who may not have the inside scoop but did seem to know a fair bit) had not heard of any future tenant or prospects. Just that the weird underutilized semi-abandoned space would remain for awhile.

Application: Plumbing(PS) Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 124797 PLB 01 PS Accepted Date: Apr 10, 2014

Project: Restaurant Greater Than 30 Seats Building Permit Related(PS)

Description: REVISION - to add a grease interceptor Plumbing - Interior alterations to existing 1 sty building to convert to restaurant with occupant load of 248. Rack House G. Tenant - "French Bistro".

I knew there was an proposal for the eventual long, low condo along the current parking lot, but I didn't know it had a fourth huge tower. Is this a new render?

Yes. There's a thread for it in the Projects and Construction – High Rise forum. Looks like it connects with the "ribbon building" (the long, low condo). Seems... kind of large.

Desigual opens first Ontario location at Distillery District
desigual.jpg

Attachments

• desigual.jpg
    desigual.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,032
Authorized retailer isn't quite the same as a genuine location. Interesting on another note though, as the DD technically doesn't allow large retail chains (within the original property) and this would be sort of riding that fence.

Desigual apparently operates through franchisees in many countries, so in this case this is a genuine location (or as close to it as we are going to get for the time being).

The Distillery tends to avoid large chains, but I think that philosophy is maintained as long as there aren't Desigual stores across the GTA.

The Distillery District is a triumph. It's amazing that they've created a district that both tourists and locals can enjoy. Usually tourist areas are filled with chains or tacky businesses aimed at tourists, but the Distillery District has some interesting stores, bars, cafes and galleries amidst its meticulously maintained buildings and public spaces.

Now that the holidays are well enough over - I'm just going to come out and say it... While I've loved and adored the Christmas Market for the years I've lived in the area - I found this years edition nearly unbearable. I don't necessarily see that as a popular opinion, based on my sniffing around on social media for comments- but I thought I'd put it out there.

All in all, I felt that they cut the food options from prior years, with higher prices. The sponsorships were obtrusive (a surprise visit from a two-storey inflatable elf in direct view of residents), and it felt as though it was an overcrowded mess at times.

Big kudos to the Distillery/Market staff who managed to keep the area as clean and orderly as they did btw.

It seems as though this year, it was a victim of its own success. At times, organizers had to limit entrants due to overcrowding - transit could barely handle the overload (The 172a bus started to become an express from Yonge, as drivers refused to stop in between), and while parking for visitors was terrible, more than a few residents I know fought for 45min to get from Parliament to their underground parking spots.

As a resident myself, I have in the past enjoyed taking a walk around every few days, just to take in the atmosphere - by the end of the first week - I couldn't bring myself to fight the crowds anymore and avoided it.

I'm sure the event is a big money maker for the area - but after this years edition, I was left wondering what - if anything could be done to mitigate these issues (notwithstanding the idea that hey, maybe I'm the only grinch here).

It's possible that in the near future, we'll see the south parking lot area lost to development - BUT we'll be gaining more neighbours and open streets in the Canary District. And if plans for a park next to the Data Centre stay true - Is the idea to expand the geography of the market? maybe close Mill from Trinity to Cherry to move some booths.

Anyhow, just putting that out there.

I went a couple times, in anything close to what one would consider 'peek' i.e. weekend ... it was just packed, and not in a good way, for anyone I'd imagine ... packed to the point where I can't imagine really anyone buying anything as there just wasn't even room to get a wallet out ... yes it was that bad.

I don't mind sponsorship, never have, that's how these events get by, but I agree about the good, wasn't as impressive this year, well, I only managed to try when I went on a week night, which was a lot better.

Back