News   Apr 19, 2024
 471     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 593     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 999     3 

Distillery District

Sure, evict tenants. Who's jumping up and down to fill those spots at the moment?

Sure, evict tenants. Who's jumping up and down to fill those spots at the moment?

Likely thinking to the future. They cannot pay the rent until this is all over and likely not without issue so even if they evict them now they are still not having the rent paid.

That being said, the pandemic gave landlords an easy out.

Is it true that commercial landlords don't need to pay property tax if they don't have a tenant here in Toronto? I recall there were grumbling about some sort of "fix" due to the Queen St. E. anyways. I can understand some sort of grace period (like 1 or 2 years?), but an indefinite exemption seems easily abused.

Now that the province is using MZO to take out heritage buildings- I have to wonder what they have in store for this one- afik, it’s provincially owned.

828096D2-B449-4553-8DD3-E559D4535910.jpeg

Now that the province is using MZO to take out heritage buildings- I have to wonder what they have in store for this one- afik, it’s provincially owned.

View attachment 294132

Don't let'em do anything.

The province is powerful; but the current government can be out maneuvered from within, or without.

That'd make a perfect music venue. Hey, Uncle Doug...how would you like to rekindle your drug dealing career?

Just have to make it worth the provincial government's time.

Why do you think anyone IS trying to ruin that corner? (BTW, the east side of Cherry is really NOT "Distillery District", it's West Don Lands.)

Yes, this is not the Distillery. I wonder if we can have a "Canary District" forum created in the Neighbourhood Node section? There's lots of major development activity happening there, as well as new businesses opening as the population grows.

The corner shown in this photo is all new developments circa 2015, I can't imagine that view will change any time soon. At the very right edge of that photo is the historic Canary Diner / Cherry St Hotel / Palace St School that will soon be incorporated into the large new Indigenous Hub, but nothing will be lost there except for a big, boring parking lot.

Yes, this is not the Distillery. I wonder if we can have a "Canary District" forum created in the Neighbourhood Node section? There's lots of major development activity happening there, as well as new businesses opening as the population grows.

The corner shown in this photo is all new developments circa 2015, I can't imagine that view will change any time soon. At the very right edge of that photo is the historic Canary Diner / Cherry St Hotel / Palace St School that will soon be incorporated into the large new Indigenous Hub, but nothing will be lost there except for a big, boring parking lot.
There is already a thread under Neighbourhood Node for West Don Lands - which this is. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/west-don-lands.6608/

I think this statement can be said- Everyone both hates and loves the new bike track on Mill St.

I've been reading all the forums, tweets and posts about it, and will be watching grimly from the front row as the Christmas Market/Winter Village begins anew next week.

I understand that changing traffic lanes requires time for people to adapt their habits, but with the Distillery as a tourist attraction, a lot of traffic is going to come from first time visitors who all seem to believe they should be allowed to drive directly in front of the tree to drop off Grandma and the kids for $40 turkey legs.

I don't know a lot about street permits, but one of the biggest complaints I've seen is that plenty of Distillery residents have them and are frustrated by the Mill St changes. Does the city give out more street permits than available spots in a neighbourhood? And honestly, the Distillery IS a tourist attraction, why offer street permits here when logistically there's no guarantee spots will be available. I can see how they'd be effective in say, East York- but the Distillery gets a couple Saturday weddings and now you're moving your car from the Canary District at 2am.

I can't help but feel like long term, doing away with street parking (at least west of Trinity) is the best way to open up traffic, I just don't know if the minority of street parkers will stand for it.

Also, can't wait for the hotel to get built so we can add a whole other level of hell to local traffic. :)

I think this statement can be said- Everyone both hates and loves the new bike track on Mill St.

I've been reading all the forums, tweets and posts about it, and will be watching grimly from the front row as the Christmas Market/Winter Village begins anew next week.

I understand that changing traffic lanes requires time for people to adapt their habits, but with the Distillery as a tourist attraction, a lot of traffic is going to come from first time visitors who all seem to believe they should be allowed to drive directly in front of the tree to drop off Grandma and the kids for $40 turkey legs.

I don't know a lot about street permits, but one of the biggest complaints I've seen is that plenty of Distillery residents have them and are frustrated by the Mill St changes. Does the city give out more street permits than available spots in a neighbourhood? And honestly, the Distillery IS a tourist attraction, why offer street permits here when logistically there's no guarantee spots will be available. I can see how they'd be effective in say, East York- but the Distillery gets a couple Saturday weddings and now you're moving your car from the Canary District at 2am.

I can't help but feel like long term, doing away with street parking (at least west of Trinity) is the best way to open up traffic, I just don't know if the minority of street parkers will stand for it.

Also, can't wait for the hotel to get built so we can add a whole other level of hell to local traffic. :)
The Christmas Market / Winter Village is going to bring traffic hell to a large chunk of the downtown east, but I'm not sure the Mill St changes are going to be the cause. The dozen or so parking spots lost on Mill St are a drop in the bucket compared to the market hordes.

My concern is the loss of almost all nearby parking lots since the last market in 2019: all of them are now construction sites. That includes the Green P lots across Parliament, and the very large lot at Front and Trinity (which I noticed is still marked as "parking" on Google Maps... uh oh) and even lots slightly further afield, such as the two that used to be at Front and Sherbourne.

I hope those promoting this event provide very clear messaging to potential visitors that parking will be very limited. But unfortunately, capacity on the 504 lines isn't great either these days, so we will all be in for a tough 6 weeks or so.

Regardless, the changes on Mill St / Esplanade will improve safety for those who live here, all year round, so I think planning the street to accommodate a once-per-year event attended mainly by visitors would not be ideal.

The proper solution would be more and better transit access. This will eventually come if/when the Ontario Line Corktown station opens and when the current 504 Distillery line links up with the new waterfront streetcar lines looping around to Union, but of course those things remain years away at best.

Back