News   Jul 09, 2024
 771     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.6K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 607     0 

Disappearing Subway Maps

Maps are stolen on a regular basis but recently we ran out of stock and the printer was late in getting us new ones. That is the reason why so many are missing. Every standard inspection and safety on the cars which is done every day these maps are replaced. So you the general public never notices them missing. IF you see any passanger stealing the maps press the yellow strip and the guard will call the Police and that person will be charged with theft.

Why can't they just glue or screw the maps in place? Surely the replacement cost each time a new station is added would be less than constantly having to replace them, no?

IF you see any passanger stealing the maps press the yellow strip and the guard will call the Police and that person will be charged with theft.
You can argue that they should but I don't think many people see the theft of a map as important enough to press the yellow strip.

Why can't they just glue or screw the maps in place? Surely the replacement cost each time a new station is added would be less than constantly having to replace them, no?

I believe the old maps on the H-4 trains were screwed down, which was why many of them carried pre-Sheppard system maps for a while after the Sheppard Subway was opened, because the TTC didn't bother to unscrew them.

Another example is NYC-Subway maps are encased behind glass or plexiglass to prevent their theft

Maps on the SRT are put in a glass holder. That's why you won't see any SRT maps out on the market.

You can argue that they should but I don't think many people see the theft of a map as important enough to press the yellow strip.

Well the new map isnt printed for free it costs money as does new glass which is scratchittied. How many of you have seen punks scratch glass and just done nothing. Dont worry about the inconvenience just press the damn yellow strip, that person will be taken off the train and the train will go its marry way.

Speaking of TTC Memoriabilia, it would sure be awesome to have one of those cool H4, H5, or H6 chopper control levers, I really want to take a crank at one and would love to have one, anyone have an idea how to get one? Anyone have one :p

Are you talking about the Master Controller? The lever that is used to drive the trains, because if you are it would be kind of hard to take home. Its a whole unit which goes from the top all the way down to the floor and they weigh around 200 lbs

Yes Agram, although I've seen the Lever without the whole console.

I've seen then with Just this piece with the lever and that cream metal 'bonnet' (not sure what it is called) in other pictures though I can't find it.

3572400646_93df5e3ab3.jpg

I suppose it is really hard to get one :p

So last night and this morning, while travelling on the YUS line I noticed all the maps were screwed down. Looks like the TTC is screwing them all in.

Thats an H5 controller in the back........the part you mention is called a stem

On a good day when I had to replace the controller it took me about 6 hours, I hated that job. At the bottom there are 3 "o" rings which have to be aligned just right because if they are not you get air leaking and you have to do it all over again.

As for the maps we have plenty in stock, as these cars go through safeties and standard inspections the maps will be replaced.

I was in Toronto in August... I loved the Subway, but I did notice that there were fewer maps than here on Chicago's Metro/L train.

I e-mailed Adam Giambrone a few days ago, and he responded! It was concerning subway maps. He said you can still get free maps through customer service.

He also said that the TTC staff as recently implemented new methods to deter theft (they weren't specified)

Finally I suggested that TTC merchandise would be a good idea, and he said my suggestion was submitted for their review. So we'll see how things go, and I'll give any updates that arise from this.

TTC staff as recently implemented new methods to deter theft (they weren't specified)

I know of no implements, stop wasting your time with him......he doesnt care nor does he know any thing of how things are done.

As for merchandise, Legacy renewed their conntract for another couple of years.

Back