News   Aug 15, 2024
 403     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 609     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 727     0 

Despite what Ford says The Streetcar in Toronto is here to stay.

One interesting conclusion they make clear without quite saying is that TTC considers the side-of-the-road layout on QQ a failure.

QQ is botched partly also because of dumb drivers and pedestrians who have no situational awareness of the grade separation. That being said, they shouldve had better signage and perhaps some sort of physical barrier against dumb drivers

Has there ever been serious discussion in the city around heating some streetcar stops? In addition to the unreliability due to the chronic dearth of dedicated rights of way, one of the most common criticisms of the streetcars I hear from people new to Toronto (I find the perspectives of tourists and/or new entrants especially worthwhile to keep tabs on) is that the prospect of waiting long periods in the elements during winter months is a significant turn-off.

There used to be a time that the only bus shelter at transit stops were at suburban bus stops, and usually spread out thinly. That was because of the w-i-d-e headways, some approaching 30 to 60 minutes. The bus stops were in the open, with stores and phone booths separated from the bus stops by parking lots. No seats, no advertising, no lighting, and definitely no heat.

14780918-Urban-bus-stop-shelter-by-road-at-summer-in-Salo-Finland--Stock-Photo.jpg

At least with the streetcar stops, people would slip into a store enclave or even inside the store, if they don't see any streetcar coming. And the downtown streetcars used be more frequent than the suburban buses.

Has there ever been serious discussion in the city around heating some streetcar stops? In addition to the unreliability due to the chronic dearth of dedicated rights of way, one of the most common criticisms of the streetcars I hear from people new to Toronto (I find the perspectives of tourists and/or new entrants especially worthwhile to keep tabs on) is that the prospect of waiting long periods in the elements during winter months is a significant turn-off.

I hope they do that for the new Eglinton LRT stops. Or at the very least put in the platform heaters (like in the Missisauga Transitway) so snow doesn't accumulate.

I hope they do that for the new Eglinton LRT stops. Or at the very least put in the platform heaters (like in the Missisauga Transitway) so snow doesn't accumulate.

It won't be a problem for a good stretch of the Crosstown LRT because a significant portion of it is underground, but agreed about the above-ground stations, though if it hasn't been included in the planning specs to-date, I would assume it's not in the plans.

In relation to the King transit priority corridor thread, though, I was thinking about such potential upgrades, which could potentially alleviate two of the most common complaints (reliability of schedule/speed and suitability for four seasons) if done right.

QQ is botched partly also because of dumb drivers and pedestrians who have no situational awareness of the grade separation. That being said, they shouldve had better signage and perhaps some sort of physical barrier against dumb drivers

Its not just drivers, its pedestrians.

I've seen on several occasions pedestrians get insanely close to the streetcars as they pass.

There should be a simple and light fence separating the streetcar system from the pedestrian walkway next to it.

The ghost of Rob Ford past keeps on returning to haunt us.

See link to Toronto Sun.

Scrap the Rocket! Save a cyclist!
1297615926680_AUTHOR_PHOTO.jpg

By Mike Strobel, Toronto Sun

Aha! Another reason to ditch those fat, waddling, traffic-busting streetcars:

They’re bad for cyclists.

A study of downtown bike crashes finds a third of the serious ones are caused by getting snarled in streetcar tracks.

This is outrageous. OUTRAGEOUS!

For once I am on the side of the bicycult, which, as every schoolboy knows, is the militant sect of Toronto cyclists.

Any minute now, expect bicycultists to mount the barricades on their Raleighs, demanding that streetcars, like damnable cars, be put in their place.

What right do those 80,000-pound hydro-sucking horrors have to hog King St. or Dundas St. or Kingston Rd.? God created roads for eco-friendly cyclists.

Two wheels good! Twelve wheels bad!

Turns out, it’s not just squealing metal, road-blocking malfunctions and Bombardier delivery snags, all good reasons to forget sentimentality and pull the plug on the Red Rocket.

Now, researchers at Ryerson and UBC have studied 276 bike crashes in downtown T.O. from May 2008 to November 2009 that required a hospital visit. In 87 cases, the bicycle’s tires got caught in or skidded on streetcar tracks.

(A more worrisome finding was that 12% of crashed bike riders had been drinking within the previous six hours, or about one in eight, but perhaps they were out celebrating the new Bloor St. bicycle lanes.)

Whatever. I bet a much higher percentage of streetcar riders have a snootful.

The report includes testimony from cyclists who ran afoul of Red Rocket tracks, of which there are a whopping 160 km, both ways.

“I had a green light so I proceeded,” reported one victim. “A cyclist turned right onto the bike path I came from. I swerved to avoid her and my wheel got caught ...”

Let’s congratulate him (or her) for obeying a green light — all too rare for a cyclist — and hope there was a speedy recovery.

I hesitate to point out the study found women riders far more likely to be involved in these accidents, nearly 60%. But I’m not going there. These days, you just can’t bar women from riding bicycles, even for safety reasons. We’re not Saudi Arabia.

The study’s authors, clearly bike fans, propose wider tires and more separated bicycle lanes to save riders from the ribbons of Red Rocket steel.

But why not get to the root? Dispense with the Rocket itself. Pull out the tracks and let bicycles — and cars — glide safely to and fro.

You may recall the sainted Rob Ford preached this in the 2010 mayoral campaign, though he had to back off because of the Bombardier contract, which is (slowly, painfully) replacing the streetcar fleet.

Ford took another run at it in 2014, after a City Hall report concluded that stopped streetcars were the biggest cause of gridlock on King St.

“I’ve been saying it from Day 1,” Robbie said, “these streetcars are causing congestion.

“We have to start phasing them out. I know we just bought a lot of new ones, but we cannot be investing in above-ground transit anymore.”

Yes, “subways, subways, subways.” Back then, it was a key reason to dump the streetcar. Now, there’s a new cry:

Scrap the Rocket! Save a cyclist!

Cast your vote in the link.

The ghost of Rob Ford past keeps on returning to haunt us.

Well, taken at face value (which is about as inaccurate as it gets, but I will humour it for soundbite), it is "responsible" for 1/3 of the accidents. How about the other 2/3s? Scrap the car, save the cyclist?

It would do well from someone employed by an org whose mantra is "scrap the creditor, save the paper".

AoD

The issue of bicycle tires getting stuck in the groove between the track and concrete is easily solved with a rubber flange. No clue why the TTC never uses these.

That entire articles sounds sarcastic to me.

And isn't there a study that say a good portion of cyclist accidents are at the fault of cyclists?

How about licensing cycling in Toronto? If they're going to share the road with licensed car drivers, they should learn the traffic rules too. When was the last time you saw a bike properly stop at a stop sign, or not dangerously pass right turning cars on the right at intersections.

That entire articles sounds sarcastic to me.

And isn't there a study that say a good portion of cyclist accidents are at the fault of cyclists?

How about licensing cycling in Toronto? If they're going to share the road with licensed car drivers, they should learn the traffic rules too. When was the last time you saw a bike properly stop at a stop sign, or not dangerously pass right turning cars on the right at intersections.

Impractical, and licensing certainly didn't stop drivers from behaving badly either - how about a less laissez faire approach to policing infractions with exponential increase in severity of punishment?

AoD

Back