News   May 03, 2024
 990     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 603     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 289     0 

Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension

Internal emails and other records show that even as the Ontario Liberals agreed to finance a Scarborough LRT system, former transportation minister Glen Murray and other officials worked behind the scenes to push for a subway. #Exclusive

How Kathleen Wynne’s Liberals secretly helped kill the Scarborough LRT
https://t.co/uv98lPU5Bn

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1004103880806977536?s=19

Another reason why I'm not sad to see Wynne and the Liberals turfed.

Would Brimley-Eglinton Station be another underground interchange station with Line 2 and underground Line 5 extension?

Well, dual tunnels over a 1.5 kilometre stretch is a possibility that could allow for a St George/Lionel Groulx style interchange at the Brimley Stn.

The original plan was
  • McCowan-Lawrence East
  • Scarborough Centre
  • Sheppard East-McCowan

I know that was the original plan, but things have changed. If we are to get only three stations in the immediate term, the Brimley-Eglinton Station is more valuable. Crossing the 401 underground @McCowan Rd in order to get to Sheppard may be too prohibitively expensive to tackle right now.

Besides don't we want to bring mass transit eastwards more as a priority (alignment reaching Progress Campus, Burrows Hall, Malvern) vs northwards?

I know that was the original plan, but things have changed. If we are to get only three stations in the immediate term, the Brimley-Eglinton Station is more valuable. Crossing the 401 underground @McCowan Rd in order to get to Sheppard may be too prohibitively expensive to tackle right now.

Besides don't we want to bring mass transit eastwards more as a priority (alignment reaching Progress Campus, Burrows Hall, Malvern) vs northwards?
Crossing the 401 to Sheppard might actually make the extension viable ridership-wise. The initial figures of the 3 stop subway was right up there. Ending at Sheppard is the best choice

And who will pay for this three stop extension? When it will it get started? I can't see it happening in the next four years.

Another Ford will, yet again, dangle a Scarborough subway in front of the voters to keep them on side, ignoring any kind of cost or legitimate planning considerations.

And who will pay for this three stop extension? When it will it get started? I can't see it happening in the next four years.

Another Ford will, yet again, dangle a Scarborough subway in front of the voters to keep them on side, ignoring any kind of cost or legitimate planning considerations.
Assuming the PC wins a majority, most of that extra $5B will most likely go there.

What's insane is that the Network 2011 manifesto is over 35 years old and there has only been marginal advancement of its key planned lines all these decades. A subway to Malvern, much less Scarborough Town Centre, should long have been built by now. Kicking the can even further down the road is extremely counterproductive.

Assuming the PC wins a majority, most of that extra $5B will most likely go there.

Yes, and the other earmarked $9 billion will go towards YNSE and DRL. Everybody wins. Like I said before if subway-obsessed Doug Ford can't expand the subway network no one can.

Back