News   Jul 04, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 486     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 525     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

$2.5 billion dollars = The cost of the subway plan in 2010 dollars. This is the number that they should be using for comparisons. It is $700 million more than the original budget for the LRT.

Except that it needs to have some additional costs added to it, such as the $100+mil to keep the current SRT running until then, cancellation costs regarding the LRT conversion, etc. The $2.5bil in and of itself is not an accurate number, as it didn't include all of the costs associated with that option. The $3.56bil number may not be completely fair, as it includes inflation since then, but it is accurate as it does take into account all of the additional requirements.

The $1.8bil for the conversion did include all costs associated with the work - the new yard and connection track, additional buses and operators during the conversion, etc.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

$1.8 is 2010 dollars. $3.56 is in escalated dollars, so no particular year, just the amount that will be spent over the next 10 years until the project is complete accounting for the varying levels of inflation across those 10 years.

thanks for the clarification on the $2.5 billion dollar number. I guess we actually don't even have a proper number to compare the two projects..

Maybe this is a good time to have a proper analysis, business case, dollar amounts, whatever-we-need comparison between the subway & LRT plans. Get the facts, eliminate the confusion, and make a true informed decision

"Business case analysis", "informed decision". Do you really think that Queen's Park is interested in any of that?

Nope. They need to ram this thing through. After all, the people of Scarborough deserve subways!

I'm tired of hearing about Scarborough.

I swear if Scarborough councilors have the gall to push forward the Sheppard subway debate after all this... I will... I will sit here and complain some more on UT. ;)

I swear if Scarborough councilors have the gall to push forward the Sheppard subway debate after all this... I will... I will sit here and complain some more on UT. ;)

These Scarborough Councillors are lucky that I haven't executed on my plan to install myself dictator of Toronto.

If I were, I'd sentence them to dig holes in Scarborough, 3 times a week for 12 hours shifts, with bi-hourly 30 minute breaks with catered snacks of their choosing, until I am satisfied that they've been sufficiently punished for their inconsideration.

Oh, and I have a special punishment for Stintz and the Ford bros.

Of course they will. They believe that their job is to get as many subway stations built in Scarborough as possible. Scarborough councillors were bringing Sheppard East subway ext up during the SmartTrack council meeting, even though it was completely irrelevant to SmartTrack.

Their secondary goal is to minimize the amount of subway stations built outside Scarborough.

These Scarborough Councillors are lucky that I haven't executed on my plan to install myself dictator of Toronto.

If I were, I'd sentence them to dig holes in Scarborough, 3 times a week for 12 hours shifts, with bi-hourly 30 minute breaks with catered snacks of their choosing, until I am satisfied that they've been sufficiently punished for their inconsideration.

Oh, and I have a special punishment for Stintz and the Ford bros.

I'm glad you did not execute that plan :)

They would stage a coup, depose you, and make you dig the Scarborough subway tunnel all by yourself.

And after you are done with the tunnel, they would send you to install LRT tracks on every major arterial :)

Of course they will. They believe that their job is to get as many subway stations built in Scarborough as possible. Scarborough councillors were bringing Sheppard East subway ext up during the SmartTrack council meeting, even though it was completely irrelevant to SmartTrack.

Their secondary goal is to minimize the amount of subway stations built outside Scarborough.

They probably will.

But I hope that a balanced approach will prevail; and while we build Scarborough subway without further arguing and delays, the focus of the debate will shift to other parts of Toronto that have their transit needs, too.

I meant for the Scarborough subway extension. This was was for Transit City. Presumably that table is a summary (or revision) of what Metrolinx presented in May 2010 for the 5 in 10 presentation - http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20100519/Five_in_Ten_Board_web.pdf

The entire basis of using 2010$ is that is what is used as the basis for the LRT projects, where the commitments were made in 2010. I just didn't think the subway was costed until 2013 (other than historic work).

Probably Brimley yes. Speaking of station names in Scarborough though, did anything ever become of the vote back in December 2013 to rename Lawrence East Station on the Line 2 extension to "Nelson Mandela Station"? Are we still doing that?

Back