News   Jul 16, 2024
 100     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 268     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think ultimately everyone will end up using their common sense and finally move forward with the 3 stop subway with a stop on Lawrence Ave, STC and then Sheppard. The feds are finally helping fund transit like cobra said above. The Scarborough residents that are losing their house sucks but they live in this city and should adhere to the laws here. The media is using these homeowners as pawns do they can be like "Hey look Scarborough Subway makes no sense and here are residents that live there that are against it" it's a very manipulative propaganda move by Toronto Star here which has by no surprise been against this since 2010. It's been more than 6 years this subway should be done by now.

We've run SRT replacement busses many times in the past. 6 minutes seems reasonable based on my experiences on the replacement bus (and that's without the BRT lanes). Scarborough didn't grind to a hault. Maybe someone can time the trip next time the SRT close

Scarborough didn't grind to a hault (that's debatable depending on weather and other factors) because it was temporary. Here, we're talking years. Plus the TTC having to buy all those buses, building a new garage, hiring new drivers and all the logistic requiring that shuttle service to hold. Years of poor service and overcrowding buses...I'd be thrilled too.

If we were in that era where funding was scarce, then I'd be for the LRT, but that's not the case here.

Scarborough didn't grind to a hault (that's debatable depending on weather and other factors) because it was temporary. Here, we're talking years. Plus the TTC having to buy all those buses, building a new garage, hiring new drivers and all the logistic requiring that shuttle service to hold. Years of poor service and overcrowding buses...I'd be thrilled too.

If we were in that era where funding was scarce, then I'd be for the LRT, but that's not the case here.

I invite you to come visit Eglinton West, to see how that area has not grinded to a hault after 3 years of construction delaying trips.

I think ultimately everyone will end up using their common sense and finally move forward with the 3 stop subway with a stop on Lawrence Ave, STC and then Sheppard. The feds are finally helping fund transit like cobra said above. The Scarborough residents that are losing their house sucks but they live in this city and should adhere to the laws here. The media is using these homeowners as pawns do they can be like "Hey look Scarborough Subway makes no sense and here are residents that live there that are against it" it's a very manipulative propaganda move by Toronto Star here which has by no surprise been against this since 2010. It's been more than 6 years this subway should be done by now.

The 3-stop subway isn't on the table anymore.

I could support the Scarborough Subway at 14,000 pphpd. I can't support this at 7,300 pphpd, unless it's built on the surface.

Even if the projected ridership were higher, I've never really understood why extending the subway further into Scarborough necessarily means tunnelling. It's already mostly at grade or above out there, but I guess for some people it's not really a subway unless it's hidden underground where they can't see it (because they won't use it).

Even if the projected ridership were higher, I've never really understood why extending the subway further into Scarborough necessarily means tunnelling. It's already mostly at grade or above out there, but I guess for some people it's not really a subway unless it's hidden underground where they can't see it (because they won't use it).

That was Stintz's logic when she torpedoed the SRT corridor subway back in 2014. Essentially above ground subways are second class. Thankfully Council has had the wisdom to resurrect the proposal.

The time impacts are similar.

Not a peak hours my friend.

Bottom of the line is that all of this is a HUGE political mess

• City using bad design for the SRT
  • City neglecting the line
  • Transit City pushing for LRT on the Line (Miller)
  • Ford pushing for subway
  • Ford compromising on LRT above ground as long as Eglinton East is buried
  • Stinz killing buried Eglinton East, thus reopening Scarborough debate
  • Ford re-pushing for Subway
  • Ontario Liberals and PC grabbing the political football and support subway
  • Ontario Liberals wins and commit to subway or subway scenario
  • Tory wins and supports subway
  • Tory pushing Smarttrack (effectively cannibalizing the subway ridership)
What's next?:D

In all this, I feel sorry for Scarborough residents stuck in the middle of the ego of a few having massive consequences over the many.

Bottom of the line is that whatever shape or form Scarborough Rapid transit should have had, they should have done it right from the get go.

Again, like it or not, the subway will happen. That's why I posted "let's just build it and be done with it"

Funny how Vaughan Megatropolis Centre isn't getting more scrutiny then this

Last edited:
bah, it's times like this I wish we went with neither the subway or LRT. Rather an upgrade/conversion to MK-III (or virtually any light metro rolling stock...there's literally dozens of manufacturers). Cost of conversion would be measured in hundreds of $Millions (somewhere under $0.5bn), and closure would be a matter of months. This would've offered equal or better service than the LRT (with cost measured in $Billions, and a closure of up to 3yrs). Same tech could've also been used for TYSSE and ditto for the future YNSE. Since we ignore alternatives and polarize debates, it's obvious the region is in a pickle.

The lower ridership is due to Smarttrack having stations next to the subway extension route. If the line is 100% happening and you want to have the ridership to justify it's construction, Lawrence East Station must come back and Scarborough Smarttrack station south of the 401 must be cancel.

2 North-South rapid line serving Southern Scarborough is overkill. But Tory's ego won't allow it I'm afraid

Last edited:
bah, it's times like this I wish we went with neither the subway or LRT. Rather an upgrade/conversion to MK-III (or virtually any light metro rolling stock...there's literally dozens of manufacturers). Cost of conversion would be measured in hundreds of $Millions (somewhere under $0.5bn), and closure would be a matter of months. This would've offered equal or better service than the LRT (with cost measured in $Billions, and a closure of up to 3yrs). Same tech could've also been used for TYSSE and ditto for the future YNSE. Since we ignore alternatives and polarize debates, it's obvious the region is in a pickle.
That conversion assessment may actually be ongoing....

Not a peak hours my friend.

For construction of the Eglinton Crosstown, the 34 Eglinton East adds between 6 and 11 minutes onto its trip time. I don't know what the average value is, but it's certainly higher than 6 minutes.

Now why is it acceptable for Eglinton East commuters to have to add 6 to 11 minutes onto their commute for construction, but unacceptable for Scarborough commuters to have to add 6 minutes onto their commutes for construction?

Like I said, if Eglinton, which carries more than twice as many passengers as Scarborough Centre, can deal with 6 to 11 minutes longer trip times for nearly a decade, Scarborough can deal with an average of 6 minute longer trip times for 3 years. Suck it up.

Back