News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think many people here like to talk in absolute certainties... I have no idea if it will be built, and neither do you... you can assume... but many assumed the LRT would get built.... previously people thought eglinton west subway was going to get built... others thought Sheppard would reach at least victoria park... all im saying is I wouldnt bet my house on it.

That's true; in transit planning, nothing is completely certain until built.

That said, SSE is one of the safest projects currently on the table. I wouldn't bet my house but I would bet $50 against $10.

That's true; in transit planning, nothing is completely certain until built.

They could find some challenging engineering condition that would balloon costs. But other than that, I expect Ford will get shovels in the ground on this. And in a few years time we can stop the ridiculous circular debates on UT about the SSE.

They could find some challenging engineering condition that would balloon costs. But other than that, I expect Ford will get shovels in the ground on this. And in a few years time we can stop the ridiculous circular debates on UT about the SSE.
im almost ok with the added costs so that this debate can end and we can see actual construction pictures...

Funding:
1. The bulk will come from the province, likely from borrowing.
2. $660 million Federal contribution.
3. The province is likely to demand the city to contribute funds already collected using the property surtax. Although Brown, when he was the PC leader, made some noises about letting the city off the hook on SSE and letting it build Eglinton East instead, now Doug Ford calls the shots and he might not be that generous.
Before or after subway upload? The Province won't borrow, it will almost inevitably be a form of P3. Good chance DBFOM, just as the Libs were doing towards the end. Why would the Cons go back to borrowing?

It's not like angst and kvetching over Sheppard went away, and it's been what - 16 years?

You think the debate will end once it is running?

Yes it will stop. The Star and Dowtown Left Poltiicians will no longer be stirring their base with the same uncompromising rhetoric. Its already diluted from what it was with Ford about to upload from the City.

I would have expected round #2 on Sheppard but with the Province holding the cards I don't expect nearly as much local politicking going forward.

Last edited:
Yes it will stop. The Star and Dowtown Left Poltiicians will no longer be stirring their base with the same uncompromising rhetoric. Its already diluted from what it was with Ford about to upload from the City.

I would have expected round #2 on Sheppard but with the Province holding the cards I don't expect nearly as much local politicking going forward.
I dont have a Toronto Star subscription and I basically listen to CP2FORD.... guess what though... I can think for myself... hope youre having a good time running our province like a tyrant.

It won't.

There will be a new debate.

Why did they get rid of the RT stops?! What about the other people of Scarborough?! Why don't they get subways?!

It will never end.

There's no more debate. Outter Scarborough council no longer has a say nor can they interfere and cause delaus or problems.

The subway "loop" is getting built. The connections feeding into it, whether LRT, BRT or Bus will be up to the City moving forward. The debate is done and for the most part has been completely done in Scarborough Poltics for almost a decade A few here still don't believe and likely never will

Last edited:
But there will be a debate. In order to add more stations, or at the very least just a Lawrence station, the routing, single/dual TBM choice, vertical alignment all needs to be replanned. It's fine adding stations, heck even SSE detractors agree we should, but obviously the as-planned 100' deep alignment will have to go in order to proceed with that. You know this, heck you argued *against* this. And what "loop" are you talking about getting built as if it's a fact? Sheppard? C'mon, that's a very huge maybe.

Back