News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.8K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I canot believe how they now lumped in scarborough subway with LRT east extension as 1 project. To me its to make to look like we are not spending 3.5B on 1 stop subway are are also building the 17 stop LRT. I hope all these councillors that voted for this loose their seats.

I canot believe how they now lumped in scarborough subway with LRT east extension as 1 project. To me its to make to look like we are not spending 3.5B on 1 stop subway are are also building the 17 stop LRT. I hope all these councillors that voted for this loose their seats.

That's not the case at all, this 1 stop subway and the Eglinton East LRT were approved together as part of one plan funded from the same budget (for the sole purpose of getting the subway approved). Now that the subways cost increases have taken up the whole budget the LRT has been effectively cast away even though there was no direction to favour one over the other. Lumping then together is an attempt to save the LRT, not make the subway look more expensive.

Here is how the past 8 years have gone. between the LRT supporting downtown and Borough who want transfer free ride.

Downtown: must have LRT with transfer.
Boroughs: want transfer free ride.
Downtown: transfer LRT only solution.
Boroughs: how about connected SRT/ECLRT.
Boroughs: how about B-D subway to Sheppard.
Boroughs: how about 1 of 9 other subway extensions to STC.
Boroughs: only thing left is 1 stop SSE

You missed the part where they cut stops and proposed a gimped LRT. The SLRT even prioritizes Centennial College with no stop at Markham, because they insisted on grade separation east of McCowan.

Based on council vote for Subway and first hand info I know, Transit is getting screw big time and most of us will be dead or sooner when the shit hits the fan. 117 year after approving the DRL, it still not built.

That $3.5 Billion could have built 300 km of LRT and BRT new lines as well adding more service system wide, well the folks in Malvern finally seeing their 1980 plan line at no cost to Scarborough.

The city keeps on shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to transit.

Based on this current thinking by the Mayor and council, we need to build the subway to Sherway next.:eek::eek:

Hyperbole is easy when you know inflation on one mode and don't assume any on others.
Inflation and cost over runs are a lot less than subway when building other systems. Light Metro will be up there with subway. More important, these others systems will be up and running in haft the time to build subway and light metro.

The City has recently taken a serious stance against re-zoning business, commercial or any lands for residential. I would love to think they have a long term plan but as we see here that is questionable. These are mainly manufacturing lands and manufacturing is never going to be what it was and likely never not coming back in anyway that will be significant with the cheap labour, and lower hydro costs available in the global market.

The City's dilemma is that if they allow one conversion, anywhere, they will end up at the OMB with numerous "me too" claims from developers wanting to build residential where there may be good reason to retain employment areas. Rather than take on that legal workload, and put their decisions in the questionable hands of the OMB, they stick to a no-conversions policy. It's a wise legal strategy even if it over-preserves employment lands that sit idle.

- Paul

The LRT advocates never took into serious consideration the compromise of having the Bloor-Danforth extended as an at-grade/above-grade subway along the path of the SRT, which would have been costwise very similar as retrofitting the SRT to accommodate LRT.
That's not even slightly true. I dare you to justify that assertion, and I won't even make you include the cost of capital from bringing forward the retrofit of Line 2 signals and buying new trains for Line 2 before the T1s reach economic end of life.

So just to clarify, all of you want politicians to be the ones literally designing a transit line. Politicians.

And instead of asking the rabid subway supporters to find a way make their subway work, it's councillor Matlow who's supposed to do that for them? Is that what you're implying, Cobra? That's exactly what he tried to do when he passed a motion a few months ago to study the feasibility of a surface subway. “This motion is not a debate between LRTs and subways — this is a question, if we are able to build a subway to the town centre is it possible to do that and save hundreds and millions of dollars?” Why did this effort have to come from Matlow, of all people? Where were all the so called 'fiscal conservatives' when you need them?

Meanwhile, thus far the subway councillors make it clear that they refuse to have the SRT shutdown for an extended amount of time. They went apeshit over the possible expropriation of a shitty strip mall and a couple of houses. Their sacred woodlot shall not be touched under any circumstances. If that's too much for them, then there is no way they will agree to have an entire road torn up by cut-and-cover construction, or impose an elevated structure next to peoples' homes. So how is one supposed to "compromise" with these people? The best effort to date was the one-stop subway + Eglinton LRT package, but that deal has quickly fallen apart because of the cost. Now guess which side is not keeping their end of the bargain? For starters:
- The provincial Liberals refuse to provide more funding for Eglinton
- Glen De Baeremaeker, who claims to support Eglinton, tried unsuccessfully to get all of Ainslie's motions ruled out of order and prevent the project from advancing
- Eleven councillors (all of which support the subway) voted against one or both of Ainslie's motions​

I agree that the LRT advocates can do better. But how about you say a few words about the subway or nothing idiots who have proven to be the real obstructionists to transit in this city. Who don't care what happens to other transit lines as long as Scarborough gets a subway and that's all that matters. No matter what cost, shape or form it comes in. And even when it's built, those councillors will never be satisfied until they get the Sheppard subway too.

keep-calm-and-look-below-3.png

Here is how the past 8 years have gone. between the LRT supporting downtown and Borough who want transfer free ride.

Downtown: must have LRT with transfer.
Boroughs: want transfer free ride.
Boroughs: how about connected SRT/ECLRT.
Boroughs: how about B-D subway to Sheppard.
Boroughs: how about 1 of 9 other subway extensions to STC.
Boroughs: only thing left is 1 stop SSE

Back