News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 868     0 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This will just get us to 30% design. Unless someone pulls an Avro Arrow and destroys the prototypes, the 30% design for the SRT option is still sitting in an archive someplace. So the apples to apples arguments can continue.

I really do wish the rough-in design had passed. If this thing is going to happen, then going cheap on that item is foolish. And it would be offset costwise if ST could be cancelled.

- Paul

26-18 for the one stop. That's pretty strong support for the subway overall given its been stripped naked to a 6km tunnel. I find it fascinating these same councilors would vote for this but not the design for then Lawrence "rough-in".

Last edited:
So what does bundling of eg east lrt mean? They will be built at same time? With what money.

They should have done the damn Lawrence station, smart track ruining everything.

I really hope that the Infrastructure Bank puts an end to federal funds for projects with non-existent business cases. Ideally, because the bank's aim is to leverage the combination of government and investor money, the investors will require sounds business cases based on fact. That's not to say that you can't quantify qualitative objectives in some way, to account for goals like growth or social equity, but at least you'll have apples to apples comparisons. When that happens, silly projects like this won't ever get this far.

Everyone at a staff level in the City knows this is a boondoggle, but they don't have a choice but to move it forward...everyone knows the sanity ship has sailed with the politicians. Its an indefensible project from prudent use of limited capital infrastructure dollars. If it were a powerplant by OPG or Enbridge, the Ontario Energy Board would never approve it, saying that it wouldn't be a prudent use of ratepayer's dollars. Aren't politicians supposed to play that role for us? I wish we had an independent budget office that vetted business cases and compared long-term operating budgets. Someday it will have to happen........right???????????

I really hope that the Infrastructure Bank puts an end to federal funds for projects with non-existent business cases.

There's no "business case" whatsoever for almost any public transit project. The only public transit in Toronto that could survive on its "business case" is the 510 Spadina streetcar, the 35 Jane bus and 25 Don Mills bus. Everything else, including every other streetcar route, relies on big subsidies or passengers who transfer from subsidized bus routes.

There's no "business case" whatsoever for almost any public transit project. The only public transit in Toronto that could survive on its "business case" is the 510 Spadina streetcar, the 35 Jane bus and 25 Don Mills bus. Everything else, including every other streetcar route, relies on big subsidies or passengers who transfer from subsidized bus routes.
A business case doesn't equal just profits. It could also include many other positive externalities which the Scarborough subway does not provide.

Let me clarify - when you're talking public infrastructure projects and business cases, you're usually comparing the Net Present Value of different project options....taking all the future costs of building and operating, and bringing them to today's dollars. To LNahid2000's point, you're also looking at positive externalities. But from a cost comparison perspective, the goal is to spend the LEAST amount to get the outcomes you want (that's performance based - i.e. get x people to y places, not technology driven). So you may have 3 options that all have negative $$ business cases (i.e. they're not self funding), but you at least know which one diverts the LEAST dollars from other projects in your portfolio.

Back