News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 642     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Councillor Ainsle pushing for a motion now to consider the Scarborough Subway and Eglinton East LRT as one single project. Direct the City Manager to come up with funding model for Eglinton East LRT.

I dare John Tory to vote against this. Lets see if he's really serious about building a transit network in Scarborough.

I dare John Tory to vote against this. Lets see if he's really serious about building a transit network in Scarborough.
Well, Nunziata just ruled the motion out of order.

Jennifer Pagliaro‏Verified account@jpags 47s48 seconds ago
Nunziata rules Ainslie's second motion that tries to advance work on Eglinton LRT out of order. She is challenged by Ainslie

Jennifer Pagliaro‏Verified account@jpags 19s19 seconds ago
Nunziata's ruling is upheld 17-13, so Ainslie's second motion dies

edit: Looks like this is for this instead though:

https://twitter.com/TorontoCouncil/status/846800281790828545

Not the one asking for tying the Crosstown East with the Subway.

edit 2:

Nunziata rules 3c out of motion too:

https://twitter.com/TorontoCouncil/status/846800390058336256

Only 3a is left to tie the network together:

C8BwABLXUAkNlm8.jpg:large

edit 3:

Now Cllr. GDB is calling for point of order to move motion A out of order.

Cllr. Perks arguing now that she did not move Mammolliti's motion out of order and allowed Crosstown East to be discussed all morning. Perks: "They are clearly related".

edit 4:

10 minute recess called.

Jennifer Pagliaro‏Verified account@jpags 2m2 minutes ago
De Baeremaeker has claimed to support the Eglinton East LRT as part of the network plan. He is trying to prevent advancing it here

Let the record stand on what GDB did here today. He is an opponent of the Crosstown East LRT.

Last edited:
Something to consider.

Chief planner raised the following point to Councillor Cole (I think)
  • SRT was at capacity by 1989, 4 years after its inauguration
  • An LRT would run in the current SRT corridor
  • Current use of that land pre-STC is employment land, mix use mainly industrial
  • Lawrence East is the only area that could be redevelop
  • When asked if rezoning the rest of the land along the corridor, the answer was NO, that land is PROTECTED and could not be redevelop for intensification.
Anyway you put it, regardless of technology, the SRT corridor is the wrong on.

Also, it's not about giving Scarborough what it deserved or to make things right. The TTC said that the SRT has of now has
  • 7-8 years left. It's not about Scarborough skipping the priority line, it's about the SRT being on life support and MUST be replaced as of yesterday
  • It cost over $10M a year to keep it alive. As of today to when it stops being safe, the TTC will have sunken between $80-100M to keep it working
I don't like the 1 subway plan. I hate it and wish we went back to either 3 stops or elevate the subway along McCowan road.

Going back to LRT in the current SRT would be idiotic, a massive mistake and we'll regret it sooner rather than later.

They should be attacking Smarttrack and the construction type instead of trying to resurrect the LRT. That's why the subway will pass. No one is proposing to build cut and cover and/or elevate...that's the miatake

Great post. I do think this vote will push the door even closer to shut on the SLRT camp and the upcoming election will be more about the subway details than this technology debate. Smarttrack will have to defend itself very soon.

That being said, it is pretty sad that even Mammolitti realizes how dumb this subway is, and actually sounded logical for 3 straight minutes.

Then he ruined everything by blurting that 90% of Finch West bus riders don't pay their fare.

One in a while, Mammolititi will actually say something true before driving his rant off into a ditch.

One in a while, Mammolititi will actually say something true before driving his rant off into a ditch.

Certainly one of the most outrageous Politicians ever. But Mammo has made a career reading the political winds, and changing his tune at the appropriate time politically to match. He has worn every political stripe and is likely positioning himself accordingly for the upcoming election.

Not saying he is intelligent at all. But he's crafty and usually gravitates to where there is the most support during any administration

Should have been the plan all along but I see the merits of an STC underground station (only the station proper). Elevate the rest
Yup, we can have underground station at STC.

Maybe grade separation between Kennedy and Eglinton-Danforth. Eglinton-Danforth could become a hub as the point where Crosstown East and a McCowan LRT merge.

Yup, we can have underground station at STC.

Maybe grade separation between Kennedy and Eglinton-Danforth. Eglinton-Danforth could become a hub as the point where Crosstown East and a McCowan LRT merge.

That would make too much sense. I would fully support it. I really hope the opposition starts focusing and put pressure on these details like going above ground wherever possible. Not only for savings but it would become the right decision for effectiveness

Back