News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.8K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.8K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 641     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Someone after hearing from their constituents? Or someone worried about how the "North York Relief Line" might be similarly described? Both?

upload_2017-3-28_14-14-20.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-28_14-14-20.png
    upload_2017-3-28_14-14-20.png
    54 KB · Views: 281
Something to consider.

Chief planner raised the following point to Councillor Cole (I think)
  • SRT was at capacity by 1989, 4 years after its inauguration
  • An LRT would run in the current SRT corridor
  • Current use of that land pre-STC is employment land, mix use mainly industrial
  • Lawrence East is the only area that could be redevelop
  • When asked if rezoning the rest of the land along the corridor, the answer was NO, that land is PROTECTED and could not be redevelop for intensification.
Anyway you put it, regardless of technology, the SRT corridor is the wrong on.

Also, it's not about giving Scarborough what it deserved or to make things right. The TTC said that the SRT has of now has
  • 7-8 years left. It's not about Scarborough skipping the priority line, it's about the SRT being on life support and MUST be replaced as of yesterday
  • It cost over $10M a year to keep it alive. As of today to when it stops being safe, the TTC will have sunken between $80-100M to keep it working
I don't like the 1 subway plan. I hate it and wish we went back to either 3 stops or elevate the subway along McCowan road.

Going back to LRT in the current SRT would be idiotic, a massive mistake and we'll regret it sooner rather than later.

They should be attacking Smarttrack and the construction type instead of trying to resurrect the LRT. That's why the subway will pass. No one is proposing to build cut and cover and/or elevate...that's the miatake

Something to consider.

• Current use of that land pre-STC is employment land, mix use mainly industrial
  • When asked if rezoning the rest of the land along the corridor, the answer was NO, that land is PROTECTED and could not be redevelop for intensification.

Also, it's not about giving Scarborough what it deserved or to make things right. The TTC said that the SRT has of now has
  • 7-8 years left. It's not about Scarborough skipping the priority line, it's about the SRT being on life support and MUST be replaced as of yesterday
  • It cost over $10M a year to keep it alive. As of today to when it stops being safe, the TTC will have sunken between $80-100M to keep it working
I don't like the 1 subway plan. I hate it and wish we went back to either 3 stops or elevate the subway along McCowan road.

Going back to LRT in the current SRT would be idiotic, a massive mistake and we'll regret it sooner rather than later.

They should be attacking Smarttrack and the construction type instead of trying to resurrect the LRT. That's why the subway will pass. No one is proposing to build cut and cover and/or elevate...that's the miatake

I had a random idea.

Why don't we do an elevated LRT along McCowan corridor, have it interline with Eglinton Crosstown?

Something to consider.

If we were going with just one stop, why wouldn't the SRT corridor work other than the wonkiness at Kennedy? Doesn't matter which route the train will take, it just needs to get there.

Heck, there's far more room for staging and adjustments to the line (the curve towards STC), since the surrounding is mostly industrial yards and such.

If we were going with just one stop, why wouldn't the SRT corridor work other than the wonkiness at Kennedy? Doesn't matter which route the train will take, it just needs to get there.

This is an argument against the LRT which would take the reportedly undevelop-able SRT route, not against a particular tunnel route.

This is an argument against the LRT which would take the reportedly undevelop-able SRT route, not against a particular tunnel route.

Yes, but it's still an argument against the current subway route- especially since previous posters have also pointed out that you can still potentially fit a new station between Kennedy and STC in the SRT alignment- and that these existing employment zones can be upzoned in the future.

With the deep bore alignment they've chosen for the subway (with any intermediary station being dramatically more expensive), literally the only develop-able area is at the STC.

Last edited:
Councillor Mammolitti - "I am moving a motion that the money from the Scarborough Subway Extension be re-routed to a Sheppard West and a Sheppard East extension connecting Sheppard West station to Scarborough Town Centre."

Councillor Mammolitti - "I think we can all say that the 1-stop subway will never be built at this cost. Especially not with SmartTrack just over a kilometre away from the subway. I would support a 3 stop subway, but not a 1 stop subway for $4 Billion Dollars, that will probably end up at $5 or 6 billion."

Councillor Mammolitti - "I love Scarborough. I am not a friend of the LRT people here today, LRTs are slow. I am a pro-Subway person. But the Sheppard subway corridor would be the best way to connect the suburbs, not the one-stop subway."

Something to consider.

I think one of the key attractions to the LRT is its ability to go north of the STC to Centennial College and Markham Rd & Sheppard. Yes the stations like Ellesmere and Midland are a it of a waste. Not sure how you can build an elevated subway over McCowan Rd since most of it is residential land and the NIMBY is going to be strong. Come to think of it, not sure if they can redevelop the land around McCowan Rd either...

Councillor Ainsle pushing for a motion now to consider the Scarborough Subway and Eglinton East LRT as one single project. Direct the City Manager to come up with funding model for Eglinton East LRT.

Councillor Mammolitti - "I am moving a motion that the money from the Scarborough Subway Extension be re-routed to a Sheppard West and a Sheppard East extension connecting Sheppard West station to Scarborough Town Centre."

LOL, the motion failed 3-36

Councillor Ainsle pushing for a motion now to consider the Scarborough Subway and Eglinton East LRT as one single project. Direct the City Manager to come up with funding model for Eglinton East LRT.

Hope we can tie these two projects together so we can get some more than a single subway line out of this.

Back