News   Jun 28, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 564     1 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

That's obviously true, but sometimes people forget it, or they have no confidence in the DRL planners.

Paul Ainslie was for the LRT project (SRT replacement/extension) and against the subway long before the Crosstown East LRT/SMLRT was revived. He's the only one who stuck to that principle.

You're reaching, coffey1. And calling Matlow and Ainslie "morons" adds nothing to the debate.

In the Rob Ford thread, you can reach all you want, add nothing to the debates and get away with it! Gotta learn these things coffey1 :D

Last edited:
For all this debate over the Scarbrough Subway, I haven't seen it yet noted that the Crosstown East LRT will move 40% more people than the Scarbrough Subway.

Of course, that begs the question of if we're going to build a subway in Scarbrough, is Scarbrough Centre even the right place to build it, when a subway on the Eglinton East corridor would likely move more people?

For all this debate over the Scarbrough Subway, I haven't seen it yet noted that the Crosstown East LRT will move 40% more people than the Scarbrough Subway.

Of course, that begs the question of if we're going to build a subway in Scarbrough, is Scarbrough Centre even the right place to build it, when a subway on the Eglinton East corridor would likely move more people?

You mean continue the crosstown as a subway further east? NEVER! according to Coffey, Scarberians view transfers as making them second class citizens apparently.

My concern with the Scarborough Centre vision is that our planners might be twisting their plans to adhere to their ideas of what Scarborough Centre oughta be, than what it really is. Scarborough Centre is a minor node, with most activity in the area attributed to the location of the Scarborough Centre bus terminal (which can be trivially moved), and zero development planned.

With the Eglinton East corridor continually generating both more development, and at least 40% greater transit ridership than Scarborough Centre, why are our planners not instead focusing on intensifying that corridor, and perhaps extending Line 2 or Line 5 subways along Eglinton, rather than forcing the urbanization of a node that the market have quite clearly has no interest in? Are we trying to deliver transit (including Subways) to as many people in Scarborough as people, or are we merely chasing the symbolism of having a subway at a location named Scarborough "Centre"? Would we even be discussing this 1-stop subway extension today if the TTC hadn't arbitrarily terminated buses at the location in 1984?

Last edited:
Totally agree. It's a great idea to try and help SCC, but the huge issues is STC overwhelms it, and it's owned privately. Meaning there's no guarantees they will raze the POS mall and build condos and office buildings.

Improve the transfer at Kennedy (make it all one level) and give Scarborough boatloads of LRT to far more areas and more stops - and helping far more Scarberians.

Comparing 1 stop of the SSE to the many many stops on the Crosstown East doesn't make a lick of sense.

You mean continue the crosstown as a subway further east? NEVER! according to Coffey, Scarberians view transfers as making them second class citizens apparently.

Do you even read? It's where the transfers are located I have a problem with. And if you think the are in fair locations then that's where I completely disagree.

Im also a big fan of the Crosstown East LRT as a seamless line. Any transfering would come at proper direction changes.

Thx jr

Last edited:
I think a mod should change the title of this thread to Coffey's Troll House. Because nearly every message is from him, he regurgitates the same ridiculous irrational inferiority complex argument all the time ("Everyone Hates Scarborough, Woe is Me, It's Only Scarborough") and then the rest of us cycle through arguments with him over and over and over. And the Troll smiles.

The guy doesn't listen to anything and isn't happy with anything..other than forcing his "Scarborough Vs Everybody" position down our throats. But hey, that's UT.

Do you even read? It's where the transfers are located I have a problem with. And if you think the are in fair locations then that's where I completely disagree.

Im also a big fan of the Crosstown East LRT as a seamless line. Any transfering would come at proper direction changes.

Thx jr
You want a taxi for a flat price. Suck it up, that's not happening.

Shorter lines are actually good cause TTC can't handle long lines very well. An emergency at Kipling would have ripple effects at Scarborough Centre. Those people traveling from Kennedy to STC wouldn't have to suffer that if it was a LRT. The ripple effects are the backlogs you get at Kennedy station during rush hour. It's already bad from Warden to Kennedy. Now imagine an endless backlog in a very long tunnel. Have fun, it's not my problem.

I'll just stop replying to this thread now. I suggest people to do the same.

Your posts? Not really. After the first dozen they were all the same. . Scarborough deserves a subway blah blah blah. These downtown councillors are elitist, transfers are horrible yadda yadda yadda. It's a broken record with no facts, just feelings.

Which would you rather spend 2-3 and upwards of 4 billion on. A one stop subway, or an order of magnitude far more transit in length of LRT with 15 - 25 times more stops that will reach far more Scarborough users? Especially considering 80% of transit trips in Scarborough are within Scarborough? Or are you being your own version of elitist and wanting to only help 20% of Scarborough users who would need to use the transfer.

I know I'd much prefer a comprehensive LRT network in Scarborough that assists far more user in Scarborough now, vs building a one stop subway and hoping the private sector builds stuff. Nevermind the fact the GO and TTC harmonizing their fares would do much, much more for the Scarborough residents needing to go downtown compared to wasting money on a 1 stop useless subway.

You really should point your solutions to that (harmonizing GO and TTC fares) vs wasting 4 billion on a pointless subway. Give people alternatives, not white elephants that will cost us more money in the long run.

Is that possible? According to the latest (potentially low-balled) estimate of 7,000 per hour on SSE, Crosstown East would need about 10,000 hourly riders to be 40% above SSE.

Assuming that 80% of them connect to Kennedy Stn, that would be 8,000 per hour at the peak point. By comparison, Sheppard LRT is forecast to have only 3,000 per hour at peak.

Sorry, I just fed him. I won't respond anymore. Pointless really, just couldn't stand it any longer.

Again ill take the higher road as I know this place has its share of a certain type.

I may post a lot and am very passionate & upset about the shenanigans going on, but far from a Troll. Im just out of place in your special club here and this is a serious matter for Scarborough's future. People like you are completely out of touch with the overall frustration in out here & could give a rats ass about addressing the issues to will impact Scarborough's future in general.

In my comments I really only take aim with Politicians and the media where the real problems & the one-sided political narratives stem from. So please keep the personal childish troll comments, or circle jerk immature jokes, lies with your like minded forum buddies to yourself. You don't like my opinion then rebut otherwise ignore. But cut the personal crap.

Please & Thx.

Here's a decent article from a Star columnist (Rare find in the sea of Star propaganda). Basically says exactly what Im explaining. I am very much open to better suggestions to integrate SCC and Sheppard in a fair manner. Even some type of imperfect compromise.. but to shrug it off or laugh at these connections as "just transfers" is also insulting. These are horrible transfers which need to be dealt with.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/com...orough-deserves-respect-fairness-hepburn.html

I think a mod should change the title of this thread to Coffey's Troll House. ........

You want to talk about trolling, baiting, personally attacking and derailing the topic? That would be you. Like I said Ill refrain from a childish response

Last edited:

Back