News   Jul 16, 2024
 641     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 717     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I think most people think that if the 2 Bloor-Danforth subway is extended from Kennedy Station northeast to Scarborough Town Centre and beyond, it would be with the same headways as the current Line 2.

Look at the 1 Yonge-University-Spadina. During the morning rush, trains get short-turned at St. Clair West Station. Plans have been made, unfortunately usually "postponed", to change the short-turn from St. Clair West to Glencairn Station. Still waiting to see that.

Anyways, if there isn't enough riders on such a Line 2 extension, they may have to put in a short-turn situation, as well. We may end up with a morning rush hour short-turn at Kennedy. Worse would be a short-turn during the evening rush hour. Even worse, a short-turn in the evening. Even more worse, a short-turn in all hours.

Consider this as well. The 4 Sheppard Line runs 4-car trains at 5 minute headways at all times, even during the rush hours. Both Line 1 & 2 run at 2 to 3 minute headways during the rush hours, except during the morning rush north of St. Clair West Station (at 5 minute headways), using 6-car trains.

The TTC is planning to do the same thing with the Spadina extension, with some trains short-turning at Downsview (Sheppard West).

What fractions of trains are short turned at St. Clair West?

On Line 2, every second train during the morning rush is short-turned northbound at St. Clair West. The short-turned train goes into the pocket track to turn back. Which means every 5± minutes headways at Eglinton West and north, instead of 2½± minutes at St. Clair West and south, during the morning rush. Subject to change to be a short turn at Glencairn, if the operating budget allows for it, until the Spadina extension opens.

Could see this happen east of Kennedy on Line 2 if that subway is extended.

I made a template of the Flexity Freedom, and sketched in the SRT colour scheme. I think the red + white stripe design still looks okay. I've made about a dozen other colour combinations that I'll probably post later. Or perhaps in the appropriate threads.

Flexity-Freedom-SRT-Colours.png

Attachments

• Flexity-Freedom-SRT-Colours.png
    Flexity-Freedom-SRT-Colours.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 685
44North, all of these are amazing. Nice work.

The retro (can we call it that?) red/white/black is a nice throwback to the 80s. I wouldn't mind seeing that on the rails, if the Line 3 replacement plan is ever reinstated.

Whoa, that was fast! I was expecting the colour change to be sometime five years away. Looks okay. Not to sound like a downer, but I'm not that fond of the station names on the vehicles. But that's a nice shade of blue.

Hopefully red is reserved for the RL (I can't imagine it any other colour).

Everything about it is so arbitrary. It's not bad, but it could have been so much better.
I wonder if they considered a simple metalic grey wrap.

I have to honestly say, there was nothing wrong with the colour scheme that the SRT used previously. The stripe may have been a little 80s but it certainly wasn't out of place or obviously dated, and the Flexity in that scheme that 44 North made above actually looks pretty fantastic! (Something about the streamlining of the Flexity combined with the white/gray, black, and red reminds me of the German ICE livery, in fact).

By comparison, the blue is somehow worse than I could have imagined. It looks outrageously garish, and I'm sure that, given the poor state of repair of the entire SRT system, more than a few people are going to be angry that the TTC has spent any money on repainting the vehicles in such an awful way rather than investing in the system itself. I know that the costs are orders of magnitude different for each, but still. This is the quintessential example of lipstick on a pig—and not even very good lipstick either.

I thought the new colour scheme are simply vinyl wraps. If it's vinyl then it shouldn't have costed much.

It doesn't look bad and certainly better than then 1980s design that's currently there.

There will always be those who are unhappy, the key is to accept an improvement where exist.

Now all we need to move towards is to convince the people scarbrough that their flashy new trains will serve them better than a subway with half the number of stops. Heck maybe invest the 3 billion into extending the RT up Kennedy to the SELRT.

It's just blue. That's it. No design elements or creativity at all. They just made it all blue, realized that looks sparse, so they thought up some arbitrary things to stick on it.

Horrible. Kill me now.

Why couldn't they have preserved the wide black outline stripe that encompassed the windows? The centred TTC crest makes me gag.

This is not "design." This is absolute fucking bullshit.

Looks great to me! A significant improvement to what's there. Good to see some colour for once.

Now if only we could do something about those dull subway cars.

Back